Solar Enthusiast
inverter is going intermintant.
display is showing "disturbance IMAX"
manual talks about overcurrent on AC side, very vague
anyone familiar with this error ?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen it. Manual for 5000US says,

"Disturbance Imax

Over current on the AC side.

This failure code is indicated in case the current to the AC grid exceeds the specification. This may happen in case of harmful interference on the grid. If you observe “Imax“ often, check your grid. For assistance contact SMA."

Not much help here either, except to say only transformer type inverters are affected, and could involve DC current (which doesn't belong on AC grid.)

We don't expect AC current to be "higher than specified" because the inverter drives the current.

Just a stab here - since "interference" is mentioned, try tightening all connections from inverter through main breaker panel. Most you can do while breakers off after confirming zero voltage. (The wires from meter to main breaker of course are always hot, so can't be safely tightened with precautions and insulated tools.) If a bad connection is varying in resistance, might cause issues.

I am starting to face this intermittently with an sma5000. Has anyone been successful diagnosing their systems?

inverter is going intermintant.
display is showing "disturbance IMAX"
manual talks about overcurrent on AC side, very vague
anyone familiar with this error ?
Hi: Having same issue with SMA 7000 installed in 2011. Were you able to figure out any fix? Thank you.

actually it stopped doing it for the last few months
I have no idea at this point
will update if it happens again

I've got it now, on a used "for parts" SunPower branded SB 7000US I just bought.

I wired it up, it was "waiting" to qualify the grid, then from a distance I heard what I thought might be relays clacking closed. But too loud for this model. Besides, it was more of a loud "Splat". I lifted off the lid, observed the messages, heard another "Splat" and saw sparks fly, I think from vicinity of display board lower right.

Disconnected for now.

Back