diy solar

diy solar

Panels mounted past ridge of roof

Dominic

So I’m getting ready to install panels onto my sheds asphalt shingles and as I’m up there doing my calculations I’ve noticed my neighbours bambo and ADU shade more then I originally thought.

It’s only allowing 40% full sun facing south.

So that leaves me with the option of running 4 in landscape or 6 in portrait if I somehow angle the panels so that they protrude past the ridge of the roof.

I can seem to find much info about this online so maybe it’s not a good idea.. benefit of the latter is getting a better angle.

How much would the protrude? Keep in mind the extra windforce if it can easiliy catch up under the panels! I am not a static expert, but generally speaking this is not recommended. Depending on your local situation (windy area, much snow?) i would rather except less solar than risking a damage.

Haha I am thinking about it actually! So none of my work should be permanent.

I’m in Seattle, so not much snow. It does get windy though. You are right.

I’ll guess I’ll just stick to the getting it as close as possible

If you are concerned about shading now, remember that we are just past the equinox. The sun is lower in the sky and up for much less time from November to March

suncalc.org has a great simulator to see what you might expect. You can calculate the shadowing of an object based on height.

Bamboo is a neat plant but is also a burden at times. You may be able to come to some understanding with the neighbor in regard to trimming the tops of the bamboo.
Bamboo will stop growing up after topped so if you could offer to cut the tops off for them if they are agreeable. Most people I know want the bamboo around for privacy, but probably do not care how tall it is, if it blocks the wind and gives privacy that is what is important.

If you live in a place where neighbors can tattle to the government or hoa about your panels then disregard my advice about talking to the neighbor.

If you are left with no option but to allow the solar panel to hang off the edge the roof, I would try to built a small addition to the roof if possible.

How big panels do you consider?

Small panels with support on the back may work.
We have had 2 140w panels mounted horisontal almost vertical at the lower edge of the roof of a mountain cabin for more than 20 years. But I am a little sceptical to replace them with anything bigger than horisontal 200w. And then I would create a stronger frame to support them.

The wind loading calculations appear to change significantly once the panel sticks past the ridgeline. Wind uplift starts to become dominant.

Most municipalities have a fire code for placement of panels. They usually require at least 18 inches from the ridge.
I'm not sure if they would enforce that for a shed, but you might want to look it up.

Most municipalities have a fire code for placement of panels. They usually require at least 18 inches from the ridge.
I'm not sure if they would enforce that for a shed, but you might want to look it up.
Good point, what I read is the 18” / 80% roof rule is for a livable structure. But I’ll investigate further.

The 18” thing is what I immediately thought.

Is there no AHJ review necessary here? I would be surprised if city and inner suburbs of Seattle are lenient. The review would have caught it and you would have had to have drawings in hand that you could have posted here. Glue down flashing is hard to remove

Your clamps may be outside the clamp zone allowed by the solar panels. Check the manufacturer installation guide

It
The 18” thing is what I immediately thought.

Is there no AHJ review necessary here? I would be surprised if city and inner suburbs of Seattle are lenient. The review would have caught it and you would have had to have drawings in hand that you could have posted here. Glue down flashing is hard to remove

Your clamps may be outside the clamp zone allowed by the solar panels. Check the manufacturer installation guide
Checked before install, It is within the products design and load tested parameters!

That looks good. The 18" from ridge and 24" path from eave to ridge is for firefighters on habitable spaces. I suspect you bootlegged it anyway.
Cheers!

I'm interested in extending the other direction, beyond the eaves.

I know I have to leave 18" to ridge (if < 33% of roof covered with panels, given no fire sprinklers, 3' if higher coverage.)

I think I can go all the way to hips and valleys from one side, if 36" on other side.

I want to extend beyond the eaves in some areas, to fit my planned quantity.

I have read that if distance from edge is less than height above roof, uplift from wind is greatly increased. Seems it could be done, but in high wind areas more clamping would be required.

What if some type of expanded metal was attached to the top of the panels. or something non conductive. that way the wind would not easily blow under the panels. Mind you i live out in the sticks with no building codes haha!!

Back