diy solar

diy solar

Portable 2 Wire AutoStart Generator Options

Officient

I've been searching far and wide for a portable duel fuel generator that has the 2 Wire AutoStart function. For some reason, the only models I can find are available in the UK and Australia, nothing in the US. The only US options seem to be full home backup pedestal generators. I'm planning to use the generator in an off-grid setup with the new Chargeverter GC, and would prefer to avoid modifying a brand new generator to take advantage of the Chargeverter GC's AutoStart/Kill feature based on battery depletion levels.

Hoping some folks in this community have some recommendations of options I have missed?

I've been searching far and wide for a portable duel fuel generator that has the 2 Wire AutoStart function. For some reason, the only models I can find are available in the UK and Australia, nothing in the US. The only US options seem to be full home backup pedestal generators. I'm planning to use the generator in an off-grid setup with the new Chargeverter GC, and would prefer to avoid modifying a brand new generator to take advantage of the Chargeverter GC's AutoStart/Kill feature based on battery depletion levels.

Hoping some folks in this community have some recommendations of options I have missed?
can't help you on the genset front, but the Magnum standalone AGS (Auto generator starter)

can start 2 wire, 3 wire even a couple of whacked out configurations i have never seen before.

I know it sucks to need to buy other items but sometimes that's the breaks.

I don't believe you've missed much. Two-wire auto start function is not a common feature in generators sold in the US, esp. in the portable category. AGS in the US typically requires an intermediary between the trigger and the generator. This is an AGS module. The need seems so obvious, right? But it's not embraced in a meaningful way.

See more here:

Thank you for all the input. I'll have to take this into consideration. The other thing I'm noticing is that if you plan to use propane as a fuel source, portable generators don't seem to have a managed valve shut-off where a full home backup pedestal generator (Generac, Kohler, or Honeywell) may have this feature. Does this sound accurate? I can't see this clearly explained anywhere.

Thank you for all the input. I'll have to take this into consideration. The other thing I'm noticing is that if you plan to use propane as a fuel source, portable generators don't seem to have a managed valve shut-off where a full home backup pedestal generator (Generac, Kohler, or Honeywell) may have this feature. Does this sound accurate? I can't see this clearly explained anywhere.
That's how I see it. Plus portable generators have a manual choke that you'll need to manage as well.

If you go with a Honda then you should check these folks.

That's how I see it. Plus portable generators have a manual choke that you'll need to manage as well.

If a portable generator has a remote start (key fob) it has an automatic choke. The auto-choke function deploys for starting whether on propane or gasoline (at least with the Champion, Westinghouse and Genmax generators I've used).

I'm not sure what you mean by "managed valve shut-off". They do have a propane shutoff valve that is operated automatically, not by the user, unlike the gasoline valve which is typically manually operated by the user.

Here's a long thread on a failing propane solenoid:

When I was considering starting my Onan Generator with my Victron CCGX, I discovered a module that I almost purchased (I later decided to just start the generator manually - with the switch).

Atkinson electronics GSCM

It was really interesting.

It seems to do all the things that would be wanted and needed for an auto start.

I use the Atkinson GSCM with a dual fuel open frame generator and Victron Cerbo to trigger it. It works pretty well. For more complex generators such as diesels that need glow plugs and a fuel pump triggered an AGS such as a Deep Sea will work well. More details here:

Back