diy solar

diy solar

Posts for near vertical array

underdog5004

I'm planning to set up a new array specifically angled for winter. the panels are going to be pretty steep; most of the array can be lagged into the side of my house but about 10 ft or 15 ft of the array will extend past the edge of my house. to support the rails in this section I'm planning to put in two or three 10 ft post into the ground about 4 ft and then put concrete in the hole at the base. will this be sufficient or should I do something different? A deeper hole? more bracing? Something else?

At this point I'm planning to use Redwood 4x4 post with no pressure treat 10 ft long. 4 ft in the ground leaves 6 ft above ground to tie into

In the area where the fence post will be supporting the array I will have about four panels each about 30 lbs.

I'm not very worried about wind load because the array will be extending into kind of a pocket at the back side of my house where the house goes in and back again so I'm really kind of blocking off a corner or an inverted corner of the perimeter of my house

I'm pretty new at doing these posts so any advice is welcome!

I don't believe in wood in the ground but I tend to overdo shiii...err things. I would go with permacolumns, brackets on sonotubes, or 4x4 metal. But again, I tend to overdo things and also live in an area with plenty of top soil and moisture. If I were in a more arid climate, I would probably be ok with wood in ground.

Sounds like a very bad idea, the posts will move relative to the house foundation and if anything is straddled could cause the panels to fracture

Is redwood hardwood? It might be okay for a few years but in my experience anything in the ground should be treated otherwise it ends up being food for termites. Tar is also used as a protective layer for hardwood stumps on houses.

I think you're on a noble path "building for winter" though!

I plan on trying a small solar fence for winter solar help and using fencing T-post's I did the calculation for both strength, snow/wind load, and angle. I think 60 degrees is what's optimal. Used PVwatts.nrel.gov for solar angle then calculated loads. I am targeting for lower Michigan.

Sounds like a very bad idea, the posts will move relative to the house foundation and if anything is straddled could cause the panels to fracture
I built mini frames for my panels with downward hooks that latch on to a piece of 1/4' x 6" aluminum flatbar.

Each panel can wiggle quite a bit since its hanging off of a single point and not put any stress on the panel.
Also can crawl up on the roof of my trailer and unplug them and simply lift them off.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up doing 2x 10ft redwood posts 4ft into the ground, direct into concrete. Redwood, especially heartwood, is known for its rot and insect resistance. Hopefully it lasts more than a few years.

Attachments

• 20230709_130900.jpg
    20230709_130900.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230709_180611.jpg
    20230709_180611.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230712_135318.jpg
    20230712_135318.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230712_135240.jpg
    20230712_135240.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 31
Just wanted to say thanks for coming back and sharing your photos. It is rare to see a question, then read comments, and then see a final product.

Back