diy solar

diy solar

Power output of bifacial panels when back side is not receiving light?

oboe

I am installing a solar system in a Ford Transit, and I am considering buying BougeRV 16BB N-Type 400W(2x200W) Bifacial Solar Panels, mounted on adjustable mount brackets so I can tilt the panels up when parked. When the panels are lowered flat and thus receiving little light on the back sides, how much would the power output be reduced? If most of the time the panels could not be tilted up, would it be better to install normal one-sided panels?

On a full size solar panel bifacials rated capacity is for front side illumination. So a 400w bifacial performs the similar to a 400w mono if it is only illuminated on the front. And any "bifacial gain" from the back side illumination is a bonus on top of that.

But, I'm not sure BougeRV is so rigorous in their tech specs. I wouldn't put it past them that they are including bifacial gain in their watt figure.

That is helpful, thank you.

I have looked for a review of the BougeRV panels, particularly one in which power output is measured, but I have not found one. They claim 25% efficiency, which, in my very limited experience, is the highest I have seen, making me wonder whether that is optimistic.

Just based on size of panel I would say they are conservative in estimating 200w max. I get around .98sqm which even at 22% efficiency would give 215w. Since they are not claiming a ridiculous max wattage like so many others out there I would tend to think these panels will deliver what is promised. The 25% claim with being Bifacial should mean you will get around 245w peak when both sides producing.

Edit: Peak or max wattage amounts are rarely seen. Best to figure around 80% of rated in good sun conditions.

Last edited:
My understanding is with hwy77; the rating is frontside only and therefore no "loss" when there is no backside insolation. Just monetary loss assuming we paid more. :)

If most of the time the panels could not be tilted up, would it be better to install normal one-sided panels?

Depends on location. Nearby water/snow or other bright surface could put meaningful light on the backside of airgapped flatmounted panels. I've been in a couple spots where I could have benefitted from bifacial panels.

Back