diy solar

diy solar

Renogy One Core with EG4 LifePo4 Battery - RS485 communication

claytonstamm

Planning a Van build to live on the road full time. Goal is to bring my lazy AF Great Dan with me and he sleeps while I work riding with new sales reps in different markets. I love the idea of remote monitoring of my van with Renogy ONE Core to ensure everything is powered up and my big dude is sleeping safe and sound. The question is about battery monitoring via RS485 to the ONE Core. Is RS485 a standard and should just work with Renogy ONE Core eliminating the need for a separate battery monitor? I'd like to use the EG4 batteries which have RS485 built in and they are much cheaper per amp hour. Any help is appreciated!

RS485 is a serial communication standard from 1983 that tells how data is to be sent. The devices involved determine what is said.

I have no idea what the Renogy ONE core is. The problem I have is with the first word... "Renogy." When they work, they work okay. When you have a problem, you're likely going to experience a tremendous amount of pain trying to get competent support.

You want wicked awesome remote monitoring and control?

Victron VRM. It's absolutely worth it, and the Cerbo GX is 100% compatible with the EG4 interface as they use the Pylontech communication protocol. 100% certain on 48V, and 24V. 12V support is claimed with version 3.10.

Goal is to bring my lazy AF Great Dan with me and he sleeps while I work
I hope Dan doesn't read this forum.

Regarding your van build, you should start with an energy audit (you will learn more during this than any other step) and build your system to meet your energy requirements.

The communication protocol is very low and late in the decision making process. FWIW, i think bluetooth monitoring and setup if awesome. I am a big fan of Victron's Smart equipment which revolves around bluetooth apps that are mighty easy and fun to use.

Get an audit and present it here for better equipment feedback. You'll hear from others who are not Victron fanboys.

I hope Dan doesn't read this forum.

Dang it... I meant to try to make a joke, but I got sidetracked by my Victron fanboism.

Regarding your van build, you should start with an energy audit (you will learn more during this than any other step) and build your system to meet your energy requirements.

The communication protocol is very low and late in the decision making process. FWIW, i think bluetooth monitoring and setup if awesome. I am a big fan of Victron's Smart equipment which revolves around bluetooth apps that are mighty easy and fun to use.

Get an audit and present it here for better equipment feedback. You'll hear from others who are not Victron fanboys.

Better answer than mine since you start earlier in the process... :p

For what it’s worth, I have this setup (Renogy One Core + EG4 LifePower battery) + trying to use the Renogy 48V all in one inverter/charge controller - and I cannot get the EG4 batteries to talk to the Renogy One Core controller, nor the EG4 Batteries to talk to the Renogy 48V inverter (using the RS485 ports in various configurations with a few different CAT cables). Curious if @claytonstamm went through with your van build using these components, and what your experience was!

Back