diy solar

diy solar

Review My Build Part List Please

Nonlin

This is just for me to learn and charge my tesla via a slow charger daily, whatever the system can give it.

2x https://www.renogy.com/rv-tilt-mount-brackets/

That's where am at so far.

I want a ~3kWh battery but don't know which one to buy.

And I'm sure I'll need extra cables.

How is this shaping up so far?

Hi, The Growatt 3kw inverter you listed only supports 24v battery system but the battery you wanna buy is 48v 100ah. I am afraid they cannot work with each other. You'd better find a 24v battery over 48v.

You also probably want more than two panels - (with only 2 panels - a lot of the watt’s generated will just be used to keep the Growatt running. Also,those panels are expensive! Max out your panel area.

$720 for two = $360ea / 450watts = $.80/watt.

You can do MUCH better than that!!!

Look on Craig’s list or your local classifieds. Call your local solar companies and ask them if they sell small quantities to walk ins. Often they have a part of a pallet- you have to look at all the costs - but be very focused on $/watt.

There are used panel dealers - Suntan solar (and more).

You just want to use all the same panels going into a solar charge controller.

Good Luck!

Apologize everybody for the confusion. I ended up getting the 48 volt version of the growatt.
But thanks for flagging that down.

What does it mean to say that the two panels will basically just power the inverter? It turns out I need more panels than I will do just that and see if I can find some used ones to add to the system. It sounds like aside from the listed wrong version of the inverter, I should be good to go.

I made a generalization- but you need to do the math.

How much watts does your chosen inverter take to run for 24hours? How many watts will your two panels really produce in 24 hrs? Both are easy to find out…

When you add panels to the same solar charge controller- they should be the same panel. If there are different electrical properties you will have losses.

If adding in series - volts add - amps use the lowest.
If adding in parallel- amps add and volts use the lowest.

Sometimes the penalty is very little - sometimes it is a lot. You have to do the math.

The easiest thing is to add the same panels.

I made a generalization- but you need to do the math.

How much watts does your chosen inverter take to run for 24hours? How many watts will your two panels really produce in 24 hrs? Both are easy to find out…

When you add panels to the same solar charge controller- they should be the same panel. If there are different electrical properties you will have losses.

If adding in series - volts add - amps use the lowest.
If adding in parallel- amps add and volts use the lowest.

Sometimes the penalty is very little - sometimes it is a lot. You have to do the math.

The easiest thing is to add the same panels.
It's standby power consumption says <50 watts so max of 1200 watts in 24 hours?

I did not realize this but doesn't that mean I just subtract the work the PV does per hour from the unit especially if I only want to run the unit when there is sun out and not have it run at night? Would be nice if there was a feature for this unless it means I have to turn it on/off?

So let's say 900 watts becomes 850?

Last edited:
Back