diy solar

diy solar

SDGE NEM 1.0 Upgrade: More solar, battery storage, heat pump?

How do PUC decision makers even get their job?
They are appointed by the Governor, yet when I wrote the Governor's office about the pending decision by the CPUC regarding NEM 3.0, the Governor's person responding said that the CPUC was an independent entity. Beyond the question of how they get their job, is the question of where do they go after serving on the Commission? Many go on to employment with the IOUs which they were regulating.

They are appointed by the Governor, yet when I wrote the Governor's office about the pending decision by the CPUC regarding NEM 3.0, the Governor's person responding said that the CPUC was an independent entity. Beyond the question of how they get their job, is the question of where do they go after serving on the Commission? Many go on to employment with the IOUs which they were regulating.
Which tells us something…
ie
If you take care of us now, we’ll take care of you later with a great executive position and salary, another pension etc

I got SDGE too.
I’m on a TOU5 program with them since we have an EV.
Was happy with rates under $100 per month for electricity and car charging. I have a 3600 watt solar system with 15K battery backup and grid tied but no sell back.
Rates increased dramatically in January so my bill has gone up to around $200 per month. Part of this increase is that I have decided to completely go away from wood heat to heating with a mini split.
I am going to add more panels and another battery to my system.
The thing is that SDGE is upgrading equipment including under grounding. I see the amount of manpower and resources that goes into this so I know our rates are going to keep going up. At some point the connection fees will be ridiculously high and it will be more than the generation fees.
Hopefully by then we can be totally off grid.
Screw ROI since you never know what the future holds and better to have some sort of backup plan in place before you need it.

I got SDGE too.
I’m on a TOU5 program with them since we have an EV.
[...]

I'm tempted by TOU5 also (for those who aren't aware, TOU5 has a "super off peak" rate of about $0.15 / kWh which runs Midnight to 6am (weekdays) or Midnight to 2pm (March and April weekdays, and weekends & holidays). Being on TOU-5 and time-shifting loads seems like the way to go.

I am going to add more panels and another battery to my system

I would love to hear how that goes - maybe you can can post a thread as you make progress?

Back