diy solar

diy solar

Setup 4 EG4 3Kw inverters parallel split phase 120/240 configuration to 2 main panels

Deemib

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone can provide me with some guidance.I'm looking to setup 4 EG4 3Kw inverters
In a parallel split phase 120/240 configuration i've put together a diagram from bits of the manual which isnt to
clear. Can I combine the outputs of the first 2 inverters as P1=(L1) for the first Leg and the second pair of inverters as P2=L2
and can those lines go into one double pole breaker? If so , what size. is it still 60 amp? Much appreciated for your assistance
Thanks4-3000kw Split phase-Pl.png

Yeah, I never understand NEW POST vs. OLD POST. I like the later...continue similar discussions...less duplication of similar threads. But then I am old school from the Prodigy/AOL...less threads is better.

But anyway, take a look at the following post for perhaps the answer you need...if somebody with the answers doesn't chime in on this thread.

I am interested in this topic as well, although I just learned my non-inverter gen maybe useless with these AIO units.

Thank you so much for your reply, it does help in what im doing except ill be using 4 inverters so im guessing i could use that same diagram
but double up the inverters i will use the example you sent from the link and draw a design and maybe i can get more feedback from the
community. im guessing not many have this 4 inverter setup. Thanks

Im putting up a diagram if anyone can take a look that would be great to point me in the right direction, now mind you this is
only for the ac out from inverters.,

Attachments

• 4-3000kw Split phase WIRING1.png
    4-3000kw Split phase WIRING1.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 30
I believe I've seen it done both ways, obviously being able to isolate a specific split phase pair is probably more ideal. If you did option #2 you would have to change around your wire size as well as your circuit breaker size because you have double the potential going into your panel.

Starting out, I would probably just go with option #1.

I believe I've seen it done both ways, obviously being able to isolate a specific split phase pair is probably more ideal. If you did option #2 you would have to change around your wire size as well as your circuit breaker size because you have double the potential going into your panel.

Starting out, I would probably just go with option #1.
I think so as well thats what ive seen and read for the most part.

Well i figured ill post this diagram of what i would like to achieve and see if anyone can chime in and help me to figure this out,
I only have access to 2 meters outside in the yard that feed 2 breaker panel boxes located in 2 seperate rooms, hense my need to wire
the inverters to the 2 meter boxes. I hope im explaining correctly ......thanks

Attachments

• complete_4_hookup_test-min_50.png
    complete_4_hookup_test-min_50.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 24
Well i figured ill post this diagram of what i would like to achieve and see if anyone can chime in and help me to figure this out,
I only have access to 2 meters outside in the yard that feed 2 breaker panel boxes located in 2 seperate rooms, hense my need to wire
the inverters to the 2 meter boxes. I hope im explaining correctly ......thanks
I'm no electrician, so I don't know exactly how power from 2 separate meters play together. It seems like the AC Out side is ok. The AC IN side though you would probably want to take AC IN from both meters, otherwise you're trying to only pull 60 amps for all 4 inverters off a single meter.

It's definitely a situation that I've never seen before.

I might suggest changing the title of this thread to be a little more descriptive of what you're attempting to do. Maybe something like what you said in your very first post "setup 4 EG4 3Kw inverters in a parallel split phase 120/240 configuration". That might draw some more attention.

I'm no electrician, so I don't know exactly how power from 2 separate meters play together. It seems like the AC Out side is ok. The AC IN side though you would probably want to take AC IN from both meters, otherwise you're trying to only pull 60 amps for all 4 inverters off a single meter.

It's definitely a situation that I've never seen before.

I might suggest changing the title of this thread to be a little more descriptive of what you're attempting to do. Maybe something like what you said in your very first post "setup 4 EG4 3Kw inverters in a parallel split phase 120/240 configuration". That might draw some more attention.
Ok great idea, I went ahead and did that.

I would split everything up into two separate systems. You'll end up with the same thing you're trying to do in the end. 6kWs going to each panel.

Hmmm......It would make things a lot easier but wouldnt that mean battery bank would have to be split up? or could both systems
share one battery bank....Thanks for the replies @all... and if so how would that work wiring this up? any existing diagram?
That would also mean still being limited 3kw per leg across the board,

If i understand im guessing something like this?

Attachments

• Dual_3KW_Setup_50.png
    Dual_3KW_Setup_50.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 17
I’m theory, yeah you just build a duplicate of your current system. Not sure how it all will work sharing the same battery bank.

@FilterGuy do you have any ideas?
I agree that trying to merge the two services seems kinda strange, and it is certainly not something I have ever done. Keeping them seperate seems like a cleaner solution.

Yes.... the two sets of inverters can share a battery bank. However, only one of them will be able to do closed loop communications.

I agree that trying to merge the two services seems kinda strange, and it is certainly not something I have ever done. Keeping them seperate seems like a cleaner solution.

Yes.... the two sets of inverters can share a battery bank. However, only one of them will be able to do closed loop communications.
Thanks!

This is great everyone i appreciate the help but according to my diagram im a bit lost on the closed loop communication if ypu could please
elaborate on that maybe edit the diagram if possible. I originally want to end up with a 12kw system by having the 4 3kw's in a 120/240 split phase setup which would supply my 2 panels but that seems a bit more complicated than what i thought. My thoughts after all this was to return the 2 additional 3kw units i ordered that are still on the way and get like 2 6500ex but im to darn far away in the middle of nowhere to even initiate a return as shipping alone would cost me an arm and a leg.

Back