diy solar

diy solar

Smart EV/Tesla Charger with solar functionality?

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Looking for a “smart car charger”, and by that I mean a charger with some form of app that can communicate with my Sol-Ark, or even SOK batteries.

Thought process being that I want to dump excess solar into my Tesla, but I don’t want to have to continually remember to go out there and plug it in.

Currently my plan is to use the generator output on the Sol-Ark which can certainly do most of what I want, other than I imagine cutting and providing power to the Tesla charger isn’t going to be its favorite thing long term.

Thoughts?

I don't have a Tesla, and I don't have a Sol Ark, but I do have an EV and an Emporia charger, which I imagine can be used with a Tesla, and I think the Emporia is pretty well suited to such a task, but not directly. I fully expect it requires some other framework (Home Assistant, etc) to integrate it all together.

That said, Emporia is coming out with a full solar package and V2X charger that promises to do exactly what you're talking about, but, of course, it's not going to be very DIY. I'm sure that what you're trying to do is exactly where the world is headed, you're just a bit ahead of the wave. :)

I'm treading the same path, but probably about 10 steps behind you, so good luck! I hope other's chime in with more information than I was able to provide.

Unless your up for some programming in home assistant or something similar, I think the most straightforward method would be a J1772 EVSE with a Tesla adapter.

Emporia and OpenEVSE/Open Energy Monitor both have solutions that can measure grid current to limit backfeed. However, with your previously documented absolute aversion to backfeed, I don't know if either of these will work out of the box for you.

Last edited:
Unless your up for some programming in home assistant or something similar, I think the most straightforward method would be a J1772 EVSE with a Tesla adapter.

Emporia and OpenEVSE/Open Energy Monitor both have solutions that can measure grid current to limit backfeed. However with your previously documented absolute aversion to backfeed, I don't know if either of these will work out of the box for you.
Sounds like I’ll just snag a “cheap” EV charger from marketplace or Craigslist, set my Sol-Ark gen output to do it and see how it goes longevity wise :)

Back