diy solar

diy solar

Solar assistant "internal server error" when I click configuration

EastTexCowboy

Solar Wizard
I had SA working just fine until I decided to connect it to the batteries as well. Now I get an "internal server error" when I click Configuration.

I have it connected to two MPP LV6548 configured for split phase 240V and to a rack of six of the EG4 Lifepower (no LED) batteries. The batteries aren't showing up in SA but I can't get back to the config screen at all now. I've rebooted the PI, turned off the batteries then back on, rebooted the LV6548s, unplugged all the cables and reconnected, disconnected the cable to the batteries completely - nothing I've tried seems to matter. I don't mind emailing SA but I thought someone here might have ran into the same thing.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

I am having the same issue. It worked the first time I hooked it up but not again. As soon as I plug the EG4 batteries in, configuration doesn't work.

Maybe, but I get the error even when the batteries are not connected. It didn't happen until I connected them but it won't go away now. I'm going to try rebooting everything yet again with the batteries not connected. If that doesn't work I'll email support and see what they say.

Finally got back around to this today. After shutting the whole system down and disconnecting the batteries from the Pi I no longer get the error. I have the battery dip switches configured 2-7 as SA recommends and when I connect to them via laptop and the native app from Signature Solar I see all of them and numbered correctly 2-7. I'm going to email SA and see if they have any recommendations. Actually, I bought the Pi from Watts247 so I may email Ian first.

Finally got back around to this today. After shutting the whole system down and disconnecting the batteries from the Pi I no longer get the error. I have the battery dip switches configured 2-7 as SA recommends and when I connect to them via laptop and the native app from Signature Solar I see all of them and numbered correctly 2-7. I'm going to email SA and see if they have any recommendations. Actually, I bought the Pi from Watts247 so I may email Ian first.
That's good news! I bought mine from Watts247.com as well. It'll be interesting to see what SA has to say.

Thanks for the update.

I finally got back to this and got it resolved. I actually emailed Ian on a Sunday (yesterday) and he responded back last night and contacted SA for an answer. Pierre responded this morning. Excellent service from both.
It's a simple solution of just upgrading the software. Here's what Pierre sent me -

This problem was fixed in a newer release. Can you please try the following:

1) Remove the cable so that you can go to the configuration page.

2) Update SolarAssistant according to these instructions:
https://solar-assistant.io/help/updates/overview

Once I upgraded the software and plugged the cable back in I had to change my settings. Here's what I changed.

From the Configuration tab the battery settings need to be set up. I had mine defaulted to Use Inverter Values since that was the only way to see anything at all. To change the setting you first need to Disconnect -

1671465985441.png

If you're using the EG4 Lifepower (no LED) then change the Battery field to USB to Narada RS485.
If you're using the EG4 LL batteries then change the field to USB to Modbus RS485.

Click Save

1671466238204.png
Then click Connect

1671466305275.png

It may take a minute or so. Then it should show Connected.

1671466423182.png

Once you have the Connected message you should be able to click back on the Dashboard then Battery and see all the stats on all your batteries.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have my batteries configured on the dip switches as 2 through 7, which is what the SA documentation states. I can post the actual dip switch settings if anyone needs them but those are available in multiple posts here in the forum.

I finally got back to this and got it resolved. I actually emailed Ian on a Sunday (yesterday) and he responded back last night and contacted SA for an answer. Pierre responded this morning. Excellent service from both.
It's a simple solution of just upgrading the software. Here's what Pierre sent me -

Once I upgraded the software and plugged the cable back in I had to change my settings. Here's what I changed.

From the Configuration tab the battery settings need to be set up. I had mine defaulted to Use Inverter Values since that was the only way to see anything at all. To change the setting you first need to Disconnect -

View attachment 125335

If you're using the EG4 Lifepower (no LED) then change the Battery field to USB to Narada RS485.
If you're using the EG4 LL batteries then change the field to USB to Modbus RS485.

Click Save

View attachment 125338
Then click Connect

View attachment 125339

View attachment 125340

Once you have the Connected message you should be able to click back on the Dashboard then Battery and see all the stats on all your batteries.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have my batteries configured on the dip switches as 2 through 7, which is what the SA documentation states. I can post the actual dip switch settings if anyone needs them but those are available in multiple posts here in the forum.

That is fantastic!! Gotta love Ian and their support. I always feel bad about contacting them, but they ae always great to deal with.

Thank you very much for the update!

Good luck and have a great holiday.

Andy

View attachment 125335

Click Save

View attachment 125338
Then click Connect

View attachment 125339

View attachment 125340

Would you mind sharing your dip switch settings? I am using the EG4 LL with the LCD.
Even after Ian telling me to upgrade the SA software, which it did and brought it to a 10/2022 version, I still cannot get this to see both batteries.
I to have been trying every setting imaginable.

Whats weird is, even after updating the SA software, I don't have the option for "Direct USB0-Voltranic". Only option is "USB FT231X USB UART" and "USB0 USB2.0-Ser!".

Thanks for all your help.

I'm assuming the LL uses the same dipswitch settings as the LifePower4.
Here's the dipswitch settings I used, starting with the first battery as #2 in the list -
1673116813514.png

Here's a pic of the top three batteries in my rack. Sorry about the blurriness but I think you can still see the dipswitches match the list above.

1673116978426.png

If it doesn't come up you may want to cycle everything then try it again.

Make sure your Model dropdown is set to Voltronic, Axpert, MPP, Infini, etc. (I'm assuming here you're using an MPP inverter like me) then the second dropdown will give you the DIRECT-USB0 Voltronic option for USB ports.

1673117284084.png
Let me know how this works for you.

Would you mind sharing your dip switch settings? I am using the EG4 LL with the LCD.
Even after Ian telling me to upgrade the SA software, which it did and brought it to a 10/2022 version, I still cannot get this to see both batteries.
I to have been trying every setting imaginable.

Whats weird is, even after updating the SA software, I don't have the option for "Direct USB0-Voltranic". Only option is "USB FT231X USB UART" and "USB0 USB2.0-Ser!".

Thanks for all your help.
I left out the battery setting. Here's how mine is configured, per the documentation.

1673117461043.png

I'm pretty sure that they are different. But it's been a few months since it was discussed. Not sure if there have been changes in the BMS software.
That figures. That's why I mentioned it was an assumption. Looking at the EG4LL manual it only shows the setting for the first battery for their software, but it's exactly opposite from my settings for LifePower batteries. I seem to recall some discussion about the manual being backwards on dipswitches but I don't recall now. Maybe @BenFromSignatureSolar can chime in on this and provide some guidance.

Here's the dipswitch settings I used, starting with the first battery as #2 in the list -
View attachment 128353

Here's a pic of the top three batteries in my rack. Sorry about the blurriness but I think you can still see the dipswitches match the list above.

View attachment 128354

Make sure your Model dropdown is set to Voltronic, Axpert, MPP, Infini, etc. (I'm assuming here you're using an MPP inverter like me) then the second dropdown will give you the DIRECT-USB0 Voltronic option for USB ports.

View attachment 128355

I think the issue is with the SA software still. I updated it the other day and my settings are different. The version said 10/2022
Screenshot_20230107-170642_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230107-170615_Chrome.jpg

I think the issue is with the SA software still. I updated it the other day and my settings are different. The version said 10/2022
The current version is 10-30-2022. I don't see the version in your screenshot. I had an older version originally but it still had the correct dropdown options - it just wouldn't connect to the batteries. In your screenshot your internet is not connected. I'm not saying that's the issue but it may be worth investigating.

The current version is 10-30-2022. I don't see the version in your screenshot. I had an older version originally but it still had the correct dropdown options - it just wouldn't connect to the batteries. In your screenshot your internet is not connected. I'm not saying that's the issue but it may be worth investigating.
I might need to contact SA. That's the version I have. I'm going to bring it back home again and try to force another update on it.

View attachment 128353

View attachment 128354

View attachment 128355

Well, I went on to SA's site with my unit and joined the Beta program. Downloaded the current Beta version and STILL no "Direct-USB0 Voltronic" choice. This is driving me crazy!

SUCESS!!

I was finally able to get everything to work. With the MPP solar inverter lv6548 and my two eg4 ll batteries with LCD screens.

It took a lot of trial and error and thanks to you guys here on the Forum and Pierre at solar assistant as well as Ian at Watts 24/7 I was finally able to get the settings on everything correct so solar assistant will read both batteries that I have installed now.

I am going to attach some pictures of the solar system software and how I have everything set up. I am also going to see if I can attach a video I did to show how everything is set up but I never do videos so this is actually the first video I've ever posted so hopefully it will help somebody.

Here is the link to my video:

Thanks again to all of you for your guidance and help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114-140500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-140500_Chrome.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230114-140437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-140437_Chrome.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230114-140417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-140417_Chrome.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230114-140357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-140357_Chrome.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230114-140343_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-140343_Chrome.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Congrats! I'm glad to hear that. They have been very responsive when I have reached out to them. Good to hear others with a similar experience.

Back