diy solar

diy solar

Solar Limits/questions for the Renogy DCC50S

BearSimple

I am thinking of getting the Renogy DCC50S. I like the idea of one simple controller that charges via the alternator and/or solar. I directly charge only off the alternator now. Adding 300 w of solar to the roof of my van (3 panels 100w each). I have 250 ah of AGM batteries now. I have a few questions/concerns:

• Solar panels in Parallel - I have read a lot about the best way to set up solar panels is a combination of series and parallel. This gets the voltage up faster to charge more when there is low amount of sun. You can't do that with this unit because of the voltage limits. Is that really a concern? Does this handle lower voltages better because of the lower limit?
  • Super simple but no Bluetooth - I see that many nice systems have a Bluetooth option for controlling and logging of the data. This does not offer that. Any concerns with not having that?
  • Trickle charge - I will be using this with AGM batteries but might get Lithium at some point. I see that the system trickle charges and starter battery when everything is charged up. There is not a setting for starter battery separate from the solar batteries. Is this a concern? I don't think that trickle charging is all the same for different types of batteries?
My original plan was to set up the solar and add a switch so that the alternator is not charging the solar batteries at all unless I really need to. I would buy a MPPT charge controller for that. Is there a concern with having the charge coming from the alternator at the same time as the MPPT charge controller is also charging? I have hear some say that the charge from the alternator (up to 180 amp) could damage the MPPT unit. I am looking at the Renogy 40 amp.

Thx in advance. First post here.

Trickle charging - forget about it. Its handled by the renogy unit and youre only ever going to get to float after long drives or you lite discharge. Your concern is always under-charging. Especially with only 300w. At 50% discharge it will take over 12-13hrs to charge them. 8hrs at 25% discharge. So you will be idling your engine around 2hrs minimum in the morning this time of year. Or you can plan to warranty return them every 6 months give or take, quadruple solar, get a generator and converter, go with seperate mppt and 40a dc-dc unit, or get a lifepo4 to get around this.

Will says fancy interface is coming for it.

And series-parallel. I run all paralellel. Its going to be a minute difference if any on such a small system. I wouldnt sweat it if the renogy makes sense for you other wise.

You cannot hook an mppt to the alternator. Thats why the renogy is a dc-dc buck converter. The voltage from alternator is too low.

You can have multiple charge sources.

Last edited:
Will says fancy interface is coming for it.

You cannot hook an mppt to the alternator. Thats why the renogy is a dc-dc buck converter. The voltage from alternator is too low.

You can have multiple charge sources.

Thx for the reply.
Is the fancy interface coming for this version? I am thinking they will probably have a new model with the BT connect port like the other MPPT units have? Just a guess. Don't see a way they would make that work with the current model.

My question on the multiple charge sources is can these be connected together at the same time? I think my alternator charges my AGM batteries ok now. I have been doing that for 2 years. Charging voltage is about 14.5V. Do I need an "A/B" switch so I am only charging from the solar or the alternator but not both at the same time? Just looking at all the options

Nope. Charging sources do not fight each other, in fact they compliment each other. If the current is already really high from alternator the mppt will adjust itself as if the battery is more full than it is.

Any chance that this system will overheat the alternator? The Battle Born Precision Engineering BIM shuts down for 20 minutes after a 15 minute charging cycle to preserve the alternator from overheating.

I am thinking of getting the Renogy DCC50S. I like the idea of one simple controller that charges via the alternator and/or solar. I directly charge only off the alternator now. Adding 300 w of solar to the roof of my van (3 panels 100w each). I have 250 ah of AGM batteries now. I have a few questions/concerns:

• Solar panels in Parallel - I have read a lot about the best way to set up solar panels is a combination of series and parallel. This gets the voltage up faster to charge more when there is low amount of sun. You can't do that with this unit because of the voltage limits. Is that really a concern? Does this handle lower voltages better because of the lower limit?
  • Super simple but no Bluetooth - I see that many nice systems have a Bluetooth option for controlling and logging of the data. This does not offer that. Any concerns with not having that?
  • Trickle charge - I will be using this with AGM batteries but might get Lithium at some point. I see that the system trickle charges and starter battery when everything is charged up. There is not a setting for starter battery separate from the solar batteries. Is this a concern? I don't think that trickle charging is all the same for different types of batteries?
My original plan was to set up the solar and add a switch so that the alternator is not charging the solar batteries at all unless I really need to. I would buy a MPPT charge controller for that. Is there a concern with having the charge coming from the alternator at the same time as the MPPT charge controller is also charging? I have hear some say that the charge from the alternator (up to 180 amp) could damage the MPPT unit. I am looking at the Renogy 40 amp.

Thx in advance. First post here.
Just so you know, Renogy is back-ordered on these. I ordered, they confirmed, took my money, then a couple hours later they said it was back-ordered until the beginning of Dec. Good luck P.S. Sign up for their newsletter if you are new and they will email you a 5% off coupon. I called them to complain and they are giving me 10% off when in stock.

Back