diy solar

diy solar

Solar power growth is currently exponential

fromport

Solar Addict

Solar power growth is currently exponential - with the potential for a terawatt to be deployed annually in just a few years -

“No single energy technology ever in history has grown as massively steeply as (solar) photovoltaics”

Last edited:
The growth is more about the current world population than and single technology. Measured by watts, traditional plants are gowning to meet demands as well

In US we have 161 GWdc of solar producing 5% of annual demand. Peak demand was 750 GWac in July 2023. In theory at 1.5:1 DC to AC overpaneling ratio we can absorb up to 1125 GWdc of solar without storage for 35% of annual demand met by solar but that means all other power sources will have to shut off at solar peak which won’t happen. Some of that energy will have to be curtailed or stored. This puts a limit on how much electrical energy demand can be met by solar without massive energy storage.

Last edited:
In US we have 163 GWdc of solar producing 5% of annual demand. Peak demand was 750 GWac in July 2023. In theory at 1.5:1 DC to AC overpaneling ratio we can absorb up to 1125 GWdc of solar without storage for 35% of annual demand met by solar but that means all other power sources will have to shut off at solar peak which won’t happen.

Some of that energy will have to be curtailed or stored. This puts a limit on how much electrical energy demand can be met by solar without massive energy storage.
Bingo. How do we store it economically, easily and somewhat safely?..
That's the billion dollar question.

I've noticed the same thing even over the past couple of years. When I first started building my solar backup, it was pretty much you either buy a very expensive system, or everything is DIY. There weren't very many budget options for charge controllers, inverters, fuses, ect. Now, all that stuff is advertised all over Amazon, and even some big box stores.

No more 2 month waits for equipment from China.

Back