diy solar

diy solar

Solar Power

1. Does the sun shine where you live.
2. Does the sun shine a lot, where you live.
3. Does the sun shine most days, where you live.

Do you have access to cheap grid power?
Do you want to save money?
Do you want to save the planet?
Is this just virtue signalling?

Last edited:
What a fantastic thread to stumble upon! Solar power truly is a game-changer, isn't it? It's like catching rays of opportunity straight from the sky! I couldn't agree more with the sentiment about DIY solar being empowering. It's like harnessing the sun's energy and turning it into your very own superpower! Speaking of which, have any of you had experiences with solar companies? I've heard mixed reviews, but I believe with the right research and a dash of luck, finding a reputable one can make all the difference. Let's keep the conversation going and share our insights—it's like planting seeds of knowledge and watching them grow into bright ideas!

Last edited:
Do you have the space to mount solar panels, and enough space to meet your needs/desires based on some of the answers to other questions? And don't forget orientation (angle, direction based on latitude).

What are some key factors to consider when implementing solar power systems for residential use?
California? Read the NEM 3.0 (Net Energy Metering) requirements. With the new state law there is not as much return on investment, the system gets 75% less payout vs NEM 2.0.

Realistically you're looking at at least $30-40k for a pro install in LA. Maybe half that for diy. On the plus side, there is the 30% federal rebate. 5-10 year break even with diy. Diy in CA and LA is exceedingly challenging in terms of learning the "rules" and then implementing them correctly. Attempting to do it without permits is unlikely to be viable in LA although it may be possible to do less work with an off grid system.

The successful and efficient installation of solar power systems for residential use depends on several important elements. These variables include the following: energy requirements, roof suitability, local laws and permits, the quality and efficiency of the solar panels, the choice of the inverter, financial considerations, upkeep requirements, energy storage options, and environmental impact. These variables will help you decide if solar energy is a good fit for your house and help you select a system that fits your demands and budget.

Can everyone in the household be taught how to monitor/troubleshoot/optimize the system and power usage? I.e. don't do laundry when it's raining and don't run the sircon, microwave, and MargaritaMaster-9000 at the same time?

Can everyone in the household be taught how to monitor/troubleshoot/optimize the system and power usage? I.e. don't do laundry when it's raining and don't run the sircon, microwave, and MargaritaMaster-9000 at the same time?
Probably not. No will, no way.

Probably not. No will, no way.
Nowadays it's possible to do this even with an off-grid system - just oversize all components, but at least the inverter power to be able to run all high loads in parallel!

Is it necessary? No!

Does it make sense? Maybe? It's just a convenience thing! Why should I make compromises with the convenience when using solar if it's not necessary?

Cheap PV panels, cheap AIO's in parallel, cheap batteries together with the 30% incentives makes such an massively oversized system possible.

I've gone this way to run my house (completely electrical, original 200A service) with such an off-grid system. I like it to
  • not need to ask my wife if she is willing to switch off the oven or cooktop because I need my miter saw for the next 5 minutes
  • not need to tell my guests if they could wait to take a shower when the sun is shining (and I'm not using the miter saw in parallel... and the oven is not in use... )
A nice side effect is that the inverters/AIO's will last longer if they usually stay way below 50% of their rated load.

Usually my house load stays below 18kW when most high load consumers are running in parallel, but my parallel AIO's have a rated continuous output of 39kW (and they can surge 200%). So I have huge reserve and I love it to not need to take care of it. I more and more forget, that the house is running on off-grid inverters the whole time.

The best thing is, even with massive oversizing, it does not blow the budget if it's a DIY project (with the incentives).

Just my 5 cents

Last edited:
The successful and efficient installation of solar power systems for residential use depends on several important elements. These variables include the following: energy requirements, roof suitability, local laws and permits, the quality and efficiency of the solar panels, the choice of the inverter, financial considerations, upkeep requirements, energy storage options, and environmental impact. These variables will help you decide if solar energy is a good fit for your house and help you select a system that fits your demands and budget.
What about ground mounts, latitude, shadowing, MPPT selection and filtering out garbage posts?

Back