diy solar

diy solar

Solar powered ebike

Maybe so, but what if it takes you two days because your dragging a solar array with you. Two days of lost wages can be pretty expensive.

I was mostly just joking - should have made it more obvious. I look at the project and estimate a budget of ~ $1 - 1.5K but I am a bit jaded as everything always costs more to build than I have ever expected from my various hobbies and ventures. That is 5x his goal so the only "in budget" idea I could think of is to pedal.

I posted earlier a very viable technical solution but it didn't seen interesting and is definitely out of his budget.

I was mostly just joking - should have made it more obvious. I look at the project and estimate a budget of ~ $1 - 1.5K but I am a bit jaded as everything always costs more to build than I have ever expected from my various hobbies and ventures. That is 5x his goal so the only "in budget" idea I could think of is to pedal.

I posted earlier a very viable technical solution but it didn't seen interesting and is definitely out of his budget.
Unfortunately it was too tempting to not joke about it.
I did locate an ebike motor that was only 250 watts, which puts it slightly more in the "doable" category.
250 watts would only add an assist. That with the drag from a 250 watt panel would probably make it just as hard as no panel at all.

I did locate an ebike motor that was only 250 watts, which puts it slightly more in the "doable" category.
250 watts would only add an assist. That with the drag from a 250 watt panel would probably make it just as hard as no panel at all.
Actually the drag from the motor is not inconsiderable. I have to have the power setting at 1 on level ground and rarely go below 2. I wonder if there's some kind of regeneration going on but I've no way of testing it.

Experiments on my test stand and the panels on my SUV indicate that to generate 250 watts, it will take 2x that much in solar panel rating and really only provide that about 6 hrs / day.

There used to be some solar powered vehicle races across America university contests, not sure if they are still running or not. Perhaps it is possible to do a search and find info on it. There have to be write ups and videos on the subject.

Keep in mind that these were often used as product demonstrations by companies, so the students had access to equipment far more expensive than what you might want to do.

Follow the link in post #15 for some ideas, as that company is involved in that kind of work and their web site is pretty interesting. I use some of their products.

Back