diy solar

diy solar

Some real 12v love from Will!

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard

I'm a huge fan of the 12v systems, they're still very valid even in the world of 48v everything. Just adding the Class-T shunt is about $150, the cheapest coulomb shunt is about $50, so there's about $200 of the $500 price difference right there. Since most companies charge a premium for that temp probe and a setting in the software to enable low temp protection, adding in that and the heaters makes the Epoch a much better value in my eyes if you can afford it. Much simpler for a beginner system to accomplish usable power levels as 250a * 13+v = 3Kw inverter support from a single battery. That's easier for beginners and small footprint people than getting a stack of the 100Ah and paralleling them with the wires and bus bars and physical space required for the 5 batteries it would take to get the same support.

Thanks for giving the 12v world a little love @Will Prowse ! Please don't give up on us! 😁

As much as it hurts my soul to hook up a 12-volt inverter with 4/0 gauge cables, I'll do what the people want 😂

I wish people could see these batteries side by side in person. I have piles of batteries, and it's very easy for me to decide what to keep 😂

As much as it hurts my soul to hook up a 12-volt inverter with 4/0 gauge cables, I'll do what the people want 😂

I wish people could see these batteries side by side in person. I have piles of batteries, and it's very easy for me to decide what to keep 😂
6 tanks of gas and I can solve that pile of batteries problem for ya! 😁

Once the price goes back up to full retail that LiTime is going to handily beat it out, but for now if you're pimping out a camper or van or other small system, it's a helluva product for the price!

Also glad to see Epoch sells heated 48v rackmounts to compete with Trophy!

I've given away 60 kilowatt hours worth of lithium iron phosphate this week to forum members. As long as these companies keep sending me batteries they'll be going to the forum members hehe

I'd be tempted to bring down some of the plinkers for a range day while down there, but I think Cali would have a stroke at the border when hey saw my 12ga AK with 20 round drums. 😁 14 hours to Carson City, Nevada, no idea how much further to you.

Plus, I'm not sure I'm worthy. :unsure:

Don't tell anyone, but I run most of my house on a 12v system. 🙁

Large battery bank so each battery is usually just discharging at 0.1c (25 amps max off each 300Ah battery)

Multiple SCC's charging the bank and multiple inverters running various loads. Granted the biggest single load is a 2000 watt hot water cylinder element. That has its own dedicated 3000w inverter.

Yes probably worked out more expensive but it gives me lots of redundancy and I can get replacement components and new 12v Lifepo4 batteries very easily in the area where I live in New Zealand.

I'm using a 12v system because it was the norm when I installed it 35 years ago. Wire was cheap back then and inverters were crude and expensive, as were PVs. I still have some PVs with round cells about 2" in diameter set on a fiberglass backing and covered with silicone rather than glass.

I've been running a 48v mini split for 10 months.
And will be adding more in the future.
We really need some 48 volt LED lights and air conditioners. I still want 12V to DIE 😂

They are readily available- I use them here myself... Get them in ES or BC bases and run from 12v (AC or DC) up to 85v and look just like 'normal' light bulbs..
(and I'm running them currently on 12v to boot lol)
1707733561394.png
The one on the left is 12vdc only (use them in some bedside lamps), but the one on the right is 12v-85v DC or AC (god my keyboard is dirty inside lol)
They are actually cheaper by the box of ten than I can get 230v ones locally at the supermarket even (last box I bought was under $10 for a box of 10)
1707734046871.png

Back