diy solar

diy solar

Source for 200 amp 58 volt resettable breaker

Quick questions:

What type of battery do you have? Lead acid,agm, lithium?

What is your battery voltage? 12v. 24v 48v

That breaker won't work. It's max voltage rating is 48v. You need a 60v rating at minimum.

Those Blue Sea breakers are listed as currently unavailable anyway....

The problem is that many of these things will work, but every time the contacts are opened or closed under load, there is ALWAYS a certain amount of arcing and sparking involved. The contact surfaces degrade very quickly, and can even weld themselves together.
Basically you get what you pay for.
As you probably have already discovered, a good professional quality 200 amp high voltage dc circuit breaker will cost several hundred dollars and be huge.
Cheap Chinese, is what many people go for, and they always end up failing fairly soon if they are actually used under load.

T class fuses are not cheap either, but at least they are reliable.

As a battery breaker that only interrupts under fault conditions, it's rated lifespan should be plenty.
Shut off inverter or AC loads before opening DC breaker (or switch) and no deterioration (except for AC side, but less).

As a battery breaker that only interrupts under fault conditions, it's rated lifespan should be plenty.
Shut off inverter or AC loads before opening DC breaker (or switch) and no deterioration (except for AC side, but less).
That is certainly true. If the breaker is never closed or opened under load it will certainly last a very long time !

But the reality is, that if you start using it, as a simple dc isolation switch (under some load) the contacts are going to be working fairly hard, and will degrade over time.

Still think its more economic to use a big cheap clunky easily replaced switch in series with a T class fuse than a very expensive breaker.

As has been noted, this Thermal breaker is not suitable for your use. Look at the stated Interrupt Current rating for that device:
  • Max voltage: 48V DC, Interrupt capacity: 5000A @12V, 3000A @ 24V, 1500A @ 42V
Not only is NO interrupt current above 42 V specified, it has a MAX voltage of 48, NOT, 58 V, and it is a thermal breaker which has a larger voltage drop across it, than that MidNite breaker, Linked by @HRTKD (it is Magnetic-Hydraulic). This voltage drop is an important consideration if you are using LFP batteries.

The MidNite breaker needs an enclosure, and it is large (an "F-Frame"), which is 1.5" in width. This is a serious DC breaker, with a 50,000 A interrupt capacity!

It will easily mount in a MidNite MiniDC Disconnect box, with breakers included, choose twix 175 A, or 250A:
https://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=76&productCat_ID=8&sortOrder=5&act=p

Edited to add Link. FWIW Luke

Quick questions:

What type of battery do you have? Lead acid,agm, lithium?

What is your battery voltage? 12v. 24v 48v
I have 2 12 volt 200 amp hr lithium wired up for 24 volts. Looking for a disconnect from battery to inverter and thought a resettable breaker would be best as it’s an additional safety other than a battey disconnect switch.

Thank you all for the reply’s. So, if I’m just looking to disconnect my batteries from the inverter, will a battery switch work for what I’m trying to do when there is no load?

I have 2 12 volt 200 amp hr lithium wired up for 24 volts. Looking for a disconnect from battery to inverter and thought a resettable breaker would be best as it’s an additional safety other than a battey disconnect switch.
Hi Ken..,

From the Subject of this thread, I had felt that you had a 48 V system, (probablly LFP).

The higher the voltage, that you wish to switch or interrupt, the more difficult it is to deal with arcing at the interruptor's contacts.

For 24 V battery voltage, that Thermal Blue Seas breaker that you Linked in the original post, can generally accommodate that task, as it has specs that cover that voltage>

BUT, that breaker is only rated for 1500 Amps maximum at 24 V. So, IMO, it is still marginal for for 24 V.
Many folks say that the minimum interrupt capacity of battery breakers have a 5000 amp rating.

FWIW, Luke

Hi Ken..,

From the Subject of this thread, I had felt that you had a 48 V system, (probablly LFP).

The higher the voltage, that you wish to switch or interrupt, the more difficult it is to deal with arcing at the interruptor's contacts.

For 24 V battery voltage, that Thermal Blue Seas breaker that you Linked in the original post, can generally accommodate that task, as it has specs that cover that voltage>

BUT, that breaker is only rated for 1500 Amps maximum at 24 V. So, IMO, it is still marginal for for 24 V.
Many folks say that the minimum interrupt capacity of battery breakers have a 5000 amp rating.

FWIW, Luke
Thank you for the additional information, it is very much appreciated! I’ll be more mindful to add all the details in future posts. Thanks everyone!

Thank you all for the reply’s. So, if I’m just looking to disconnect my batteries from the inverter, will a battery switch work for what I’m trying to do when there is no load?

Blueseas 300a switch is a nice robust option

Pair the switch with a fuse (anl or other type) will provide you with a way to isolate the battery and provide over current protection for a 24v system.

Back