diy solar

diy solar

Still no voltage...wiring wrong?

plr

Did I wire wrong for 3S4P? I have 48v growatt with 24v panels. I attached my crude wiring diagram and pic of my panels

Attachments

• 52B4E649-17C5-4E93-A3E7-B4AA302A4C5D.jpeg
    52B4E649-17C5-4E93-A3E7-B4AA302A4C5D.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 29
  • 1F56BE9D-0238-4C21-99CE-5E52C4A71982.jpeg
    1F56BE9D-0238-4C21-99CE-5E52C4A71982.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 28
Not sure what pictures of the wiring you are looking for.

My panels off to the left are connected to the panels to the right by a 15 ft wire that goes to MC4 that then goes 20+ft to the basement to my growatt

Do you think I might be losing all my voltage there?

For 4P3S
FIRST
Stack the three panels with wire from the "+" going to the "-" o the next. The way you have it now you have "+" to "+" of the next. Thats two one way streets pointing at each other-no where for the current to flow. If connected as per drawing you have the diodes pointing at each other so no current-no voltage.

Then after verifying that you have 4 sets with voltage then connect all 4 "+" together and "-" together.

Last edited:
Reactions: plr
The best way I know how to check wiring is through a process of elimination. Start at the source of voltage and add one section of wiring at a time. Always check your assumptions. Or you can use continuity checks on wiring that is not energized. Often connections are likely culprits.

Last edited:
I want a picture of the actual wires on your actual batteries and controller...

The drawing you have is very incomplete.

I a pretty sure my batteries and all in one are correct but here is a pic

Attachments

• A08F4CC8-A519-4505-BB4E-1C7C15EF82FC.jpeg
    A08F4CC8-A519-4505-BB4E-1C7C15EF82FC.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 17
I will repeat again
If you connected the panels as per your drawing the series panels are wrong.
You have them pointed at each other.
Think of a street intersections with all the one way signs pointed towards the intersection-you can not find a way to drive out.

For series connection to stack the voltage
Connect the Positive terminal to the the negative terminal of the next panel
Then on the next panel the Positive terminal to the negative terminal of the third panel
Then Parallel off the Positive terminal of the first panel and the negative terminal of the third pane.

Your drawing shows you are connecting negative to negative terminal for your series connection.
That's two one way streets pointing at each other.
To drive a one way street it the arrow going to the tail ......next arrow going to the next tail.......and so on and so on...
You do not drive one way streets with arrows pointing at each other.

Your drawing does not allow current to flow as the series connections are wrong.
Current will not flow backwards through the panels so you middle panel is blocking current flow from the first panel.
.....and for added protection your last panel blocks the current from the middle panel.

Series connections go Positive to Negative-the opposite of how you have your series panels
Parallel connections go all Positives together, all Negatives together, just like you have it so that part is good

Flip the connections on the center panels of each of the four series, then you will have it right.
Minimal work that way as you only have to flip 4 x 2 = 8 connections....then BINGO
You will have voltage and current......

Ok, I understand better now.
You have the panels wired parallel, so the growatt will never get enough voltage to charge your 48V bank.

Draw the panels without wires., just a + and a -
Then understand to charge 48V, you need more than 48v, preferably 96v or better.
Then show us the data plate for your panels, unless you know all the numbers.

Also realize that battery bank will only power that inverter for 2400Wh, I think you have a 5KW inverter, so... 30 minutes tops without sun. COMPLETELY depleting the batteries.

You need to wire them like this...minimally...

What maximum voltage can your inverter accept?image.jpg

Reactions: plr
You need to wire them like this...minimally...

What maximum voltage can your inverter accept?View attachment 15444

Yep, as I stated above
-SUPER your drawing will help plr understand better , he needs to flip the connections on the middle panel
so its + to - of the next panel
Since 24V panels nominal (~40 Volt open circuit) this will work if your controller is rated for >120V-not familiar with your Growatt specs so please verify first with the Growatt manual specs.

Also verify that the + wires are going the the PV+ terminal on the Growatt and - to PV-

Sorry guys Supevstech was right my drawing was crap as I did it from memory. Looks like I have the series panels wires correct. I was trying not to remove all the zip ties but here’s a pic

Attachments

• 0F195326-BA90-4055-8D16-03CBF1C96E48.jpeg
    0F195326-BA90-4055-8D16-03CBF1C96E48.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 11
Nominal DC input voltage is 48vdc
High DC Recovery voltage is 56.4vdc
Max PV array open circuit voltage 145Vdc

Is that the numbers you are looking for?

Did I wire wrong for 3S4P? I have 48v growatt with 24v panels. I attached my crude wiring diagram and pic of my panels
So there is no voltage on the panel wires at the Growatt?
What do you have there?
Or do you have the wrong settings in the Growatt? Should be solar first to charge?

Thanks yeah I changed the growatt settings to CSO and OSObut still got the same thing no volts

Back