diy solar

diy solar

Stress testing 12V Victron MultiPlus 3000 with EG4 LL batteries (heating issue)

I think it is running little hot. What do you guys think.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 10
  • following wire connected from battery to Class T fuse.jpg
    following wire connected from battery to Class T fuse.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 9
  • near Class T fuse.jpg
    near Class T fuse.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 10
I've uploaded a video to Notion because it was too long to upload here. You can view it using the following link:

Notion Video Link

Everything was running smoothly. I only had the AC and refrigerator on. The refrigerator and other devices I've connected draw 265 watts.
From the battery total amount if was pulling 2,532 watt. That would be when my compressor is running including my refrigerator and other devices connected.
Please review the video and let me know your thoughts. I would appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• reading.PNG
    reading.PNG
    174.6 KB · Views: 1
All of them are 400Amp
Got it. So with two lynx distributors, you've got one set of wires landed in each.
Distributor 1: A single 4/0 input from the battery, with an inline 400a Class-T and a second 400a Megafuse inside the Lynx
Distributor 2: A single 4/0 output to the Multiplus, with a 400a Megafuse.
Lynx Shunt in-between the two, with the 4th 400a Megafuse

It looks like you're using Distributor 1 as a battery combiner? Are there other connections you're planning to land on Distributor 1?

If you're only going to have the single battery cable land in the Lynx distributor, you could remove that Lynx. You could land your battery cables directly on the Lynx Shunt. Then you could move that Lynx Distributor so that it can help output additional circuits if needed. Or just remove it to save some space. Since that is upstream of the Lynx shunt you would not want to add any outputs to where it is right now.

You can add additional circuits to the Distributor 2, make sure to use appropriate wire & fuses for the required load.

[edit] You're seeing 160F on the 4/0 cable which is definitely getting warm. Check the rating on your cable, most 4/0 cable is rated to 105C which is 220 F. I'll leave it to others if they think that is too hot.

Last edited:
Ideally you’d want individual 1/0 from each battery to the Lynx with over current protection to each. Then 4/0 from the Lynx to the Multiplus.

As for the temps of the cables, what’s the ambient temps? 140 if it’s 100 out isn’t terrible. If you’re closer to 50f and you’re getting close to 100f temp rise then Id want to poke around some more.

Got it. So with two lynx distributors, you've got one set of wires landed in each.
Distributor 1: A single 4/0 input from the battery, with an inline 400a Class-T and a second 400a Megafuse inside the Lynx
Distributor 2: A single 4/0 output to the Multiplus, with a 400a Megafuse.
Lynx Shunt in-between the two, with the 4th 400a Megafuse

It looks like you're using Distributor 1 as a battery combiner? Are there other connections you're planning to land on Distributor 1?

If you're only going to have the single battery cable land in the Lynx distributor, you could remove that Lynx. You could land your battery cables directly on the Lynx Shunt. Then you could move that Lynx Distributor so that it can help output additional circuits if needed. Or just remove it to save some space. Since that is upstream of the Lynx shunt you would not want to add any outputs to where it is right now.

You can add additional circuits to the Distributor 2, make sure to use appropriate wire & fuses for the required load.

[edit] You're seeing 160F on the 4/0 cable which is definitely getting warm. Check the rating on your cable, most 4/0 cable is rated to 105C which is 220 F. I'll leave it to others if they think that is too hot.
Once I resolve the heating situation, I will add solar panels to my RV trailer. Additionally, I plan to install the Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart charger so that I can charge the batteries while driving. I want to have multiple options for charging my EG4 batteries.

I just got answer from the supplier The maximum temperature for the wire is 140 Fahrenheit

I think the wire might be getting hot because not enough air ventilation. Over the weekend I am going to run AC unit while it is not plugged into grid and monitor the temperature.

You measured cable temps at 221f?

That’s the higest end of the insulation rating.

I’d investigate on what can be done to drop that down.

i'm sorry that was the information was provided to me from the supplier regarding 4/0 cable. Operating temperature -50°C to +105°C (-58°F to +221°F).

I was tracing every wire and notice my ground wire was not connected To RV trailer frame. After connecting ground wire and I notice my wire is not hot compared to last week.
Do you guys think it could be because of the ground wire was not connected to the chassis.

I think because I used cheap crimper that is one of the reason it is causing heat (AMZCNC Hammer Lug Crimper Tool - 0000 AWG Battery and Welding Cables( 8 AWG TO 4/0 Wire Gauge).

I just purchased following crimper to recrimp all of my wires (AMZCNC Hydraulic Crimping Tool - 12T Crimping Force, 9 Pairs of Standard US cable Dies (8AWG-4/0AWG) - Professional Grade Battery Cable Crimper for Secure Connections, Electrical Projects, and More).

This one does work for 4/0 you just gotta get some mustard on that swing.

If you are curious about a crimp you have in service you can always cut one in half and verify the cold weld, should be one solid mass when cut in half.

Back