diy solar

diy solar

The beginnings

Offgrid97

Here is the start of my upgrade.
I basically took what Will had for his 24 volt 2000 watt system.
You can just barely see my Daly BMS in the lower left.
720 watts of solar(2 sets of 3 in series)
4.4 kwh Lithium Iron Phosphate
MPPT charge controller

Used to have....
480 watts in parallel
MorningStar PWM
4 deep cycle lead acid.

Attachments

• 20190922_085257.jpg
    20190922_085257.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190810_224724.jpg
    20190810_224724.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
That's a lot of batteries! Is that where you are charging them?

It is a lot. 16 cells but was a great deal. 4.4 kwh for $1000.00.
That is my electrical area that will house them. They are not in use yet. Still need to build an enclosure/cover for them.

Wow, that IS a great deal.

They are still on ebay. They get back to you right away if you have any questions.
Can buy 8 cells also. I just wanted a larger bank for my cabin.

Have you tested or used them yet?

Have you tested or used them yet?
I tested them to 3.7 kwh at 50 to 80 amps. I had to go to bed because the test took hours and had a connection issue. The cells were at about 2.9 when I stopped. I had one start to get hot from a bad terminal connection. Cells balanced to 9 millivolts. The only thing to watch for is the threaded terminals are pretty easy to strip out. I put a M6 set screw in them and used thread lock on it. Then used nuts to tighten.
It is actually a little intimidating at the power these batteries store. I was stuggling to find stuff to run to get enough draw to perform the test and not take all afternoon.?

I tested them to 3.7 kwh at 50 to 80 amps. I had to go to bed because the test took hours and had a connection issue. The cells were at about 2.9 when I stopped. I had one start to get hot from a bad terminal connection. Cells balanced to 9 millivolts. The only thing to watch for is the threaded terminals are pretty easy to strip out. I put a M6 set screw in them and used thread lock on it. Then used nuts to tighten.
It is actually a little intimidating at the power these batteries store. I was stuggling to find stuff to run to get enough draw to perform the test and not take all afternoon.?

Ebay link?

Thats $960 AUD for 16 - Really cheap but I guess they slugged you for freight too?
Do they give of a slight smell while you charge them?

I too use stainless set screws with a nut and washer on them . Thread them in to the bottom then tighten the nut down on the terminal and lead/bus bar . It leaves the screw hex head standing well proud and I use plastic caps over those . Old 6 volt shipping covers. The plan is to put a sheet of perspex over the lot asap. There are a lot of connections . I had to cover my small shifter with heat shrink to stop my repeated short outs with arc welding results.

I bought comparable 100Ah cells from china for $2600 for 16 all up . I'm in Oz so I can't get yours I think , but they are very cheap. Mine did not even have bus bars or terminal bolts.

My cells are probably from the same factory I would say .The seller tried to make out they were the factory but dropped that when I pulled a cell apart.

See my tear down of a cell in the thread titled "Orientation" on this forum. One cell packed it in after 2 weeks. Zero voltage and not accepting a charge.
I also have 40 plus photos of the insides of them on Facebook but you have to join for that.

Please keep me updated of how its progressing. I'm very interested.

Last edited:
Here is the start of my upgrade.
I basically took what Will had for his 24 volt 2000 watt system.
You can just barely see my Daly BMS in the lower left.
720 watts of solar(2 sets of 3 in series)
4.4 kwh Lithium Iron Phosphate
MPPT charge controller

Used to have....
480 watts in parallel
MorningStar PWM
4 deep cycle lead acid.
Gasping, FOUR THOUSAND, FOUR HUNDRED watt hours of Lifepo battery capacity? Holy you know what!!!

Thats $960 AUD for 16 - Really cheap but I guess they slugged you for freight too?

I too use stainless set screws with a nut and washer on them . Thread them in to the bottom then tighten the nut down on the terminal and lead/bus bar . It leaves the screw hex head standing well proud and I use plastic caps over those . Old 6 volt shipping covers. The plan is to put a sheet of perspex over the lot asap. There are a lot of connections . I had to cover my small shifter with heat shrink to stop my repeated short outs with arc welding results.

I bought comparable 100Ah cells from china for $2600 for 16 all up . I'm in Oz so I can't get yours I think , but they are very cheap. Mine did not even have bus bars or terminal bolts.

My cells are probably from the same factory I would say .The seller tried to make out they were the factory but dropped that when I pulled a cell apart.

See my tear down of a cell in the thread titled "Orientation" on this forum. One cell packed it in after 2 weeks. Zero voltage and not accepting a charge.
I also have 40 plus photos of the insides of them on Facebook but you have to join for that.

No smell that I could tell. It was 1000.00 dollars to my door. I will have to che k out your link....

The seller has perfect feedback on these. Why haven't we all ordered them??? I'm on this like flies on stink. Best link ever.

Also, I'm a bit of a newbie, but if I interpret the picture correctly, you have two banks of 8 batteries each in parallel, and the banks are wired together in series? Roughly 24 volts?

Correct. They told be for a 24 volt system to parallel 2 cells then run them in series. So I have 8 doubles that are in series. I have an 8s bms which I questioned them about not being able to monitor each cell and they told me with the two cells in parallel they should balance each other out. I had another guy on a different Forum tell me that that's how he did his also

Back