diy solar

diy solar

Trying to find a LARGE storage system with 2.5 MWh capacity

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
SO - one of my remote teams has been told that they need to develop a BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) that can supply a peak demand of 1.8 megawatt (MW) for one hour for a 13.2 kilovolt (kV) grids.

Basically a storage system with energy storage capacity of 2.5 MWh

Yeah - pretty damn big size ... all we have to do is the BESS - the other team already has the generators and the solar panels installed -- they just need the BESS ..

SOOOO was wondering what US companies you think are out there that could handle something like this ... I just need for them to make the system and ship it to us in South Texas -- (going to say going to be slightly larger than a UPS truck delivery - LOL)

But we are suppose to design and deliver the cells; modules; battery racks with their respective protection elements; inverters; battery management system; control, monitoring, protection, and communication systems; auxiliary services for batteries; and Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)1 system for the integration of the battery energy storage system (BESS) to the natural gas facility so looking for a company that has a good reputation and a few years under their belt in experience ...

And of course - as I have always said - being the laziest engineer that you will ever meet - i thought I would ask you guys first before I started pounding Google...

Yes, on paper he probably can but Tesla has a LONG history of over promising and under delivering. It all depends on how long you wish to wait then maybe have your order cancelled as they did to Powerwall customers who were not purchasing Tesla solar panels or other Tesla gear.
well, they kinda already do it at a very large scale in australia, and i believe in CA, usa

correction, in the uk too

australia

california

SO - one of my remote teams has been told that they need to develop a BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) that can supply a peak demand of 1.8 megawatt (MW) for one hour for a 13.2 kilovolt (kV) grids.

Yeah - pretty damn big size ... all we have to do is the BESS - the other team already has the generators and the solar panels installed -- they just need the BESS ..

SOOOO was wondering what US companies you think are out there that could handle something like this ... I just need for them to make the system and ship it to us in South Texas -- (going to say going to be slightly larger than a UPS truck delivery - LOL)

But we are suppose to design and deliver the cells; modules; battery racks with their respective protection elements; inverters; battery management system; control, monitoring, protection, and communication systems; auxiliary services for batteries; and Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)1 system for the integration of the battery energy storage system (BESS) to the natural gas facility so looking for a company that has a good reputation and a few years under their belt in experience ...

And of course - as I have always said - being the laziest engineer that you will ever meet - i thought I would ask you guys first before I started pounding Google...

Take a look at this ?

My local Community Choice Aggregator is contracting with a third party to install a 100 mWh battery next to a local PG&E substation. The third party is Strata Clean Energy. They might be a resource for you if nothing else to give you a bench mark compared to building it yourself. My guess is these systems use both high voltage DC and high voltage AC inverters. In the above case it will be a power purchase agreement between Sonoma Clean Power (a CCA) and Strata. In that case the power will be injected into the grid at the sub station so that installation will include the inverters.
That is the part I am not clear about when you say they already have the generators? Do you mean inverters are there to do the inverting from DC to AC. Or does that litterally mean that your BESS only has to provide 1.8 mW (2.5 mWhs of storage) at some DC voltage or does it have to invert that to some AC voltage. It sounds like just a backup system or is it going to have some interactions with the market based on rates?

At this scale is only choice, Tesla is the only choice
That is probably true but the issue might be lead times because Tesla is battery constrained. I mentioned above a project in my area that will be several years before completion. I think there may be more vendors out there because every time i read about a new solar farm selling power into the California market they often mention batteries and Tesla is not always mentioned.

At that volume you might be able to get your mits on the new sodium ion batteries, they're supposed to by 70% the cost of LFP.

But your best bet might be ESS's flow batteries: https://essinc.com/, that's assuming they're not too good to be true.

They ship via rail and fit in cargo containers. It's an iron-flow chemistry.

Fast response time, unlimited cycle life and no capacity degradation over a 25-year design life delivers operational flexibility.

6to12-hour-capitalcost-cyclecapability.png
ESS-performance-advantages-02.png

"Top Grid-scale ESS manufactures worldwide"
ABB Ltd.
AEG Power Solutions
BV Aggreko plc
BYD Company Ltd
Electrovaya Inc.
General Electric Co.
GS Yuasa International
Hitachi Ltd
LG Chemicals Ltd.
Mitsubisuhi Electric Corporation
NGK
Panosonic
Samsun
Socomec

Canadian Solar C&I division is pretty white glove. could DM a contact

1.8MW for one hour = 1800kWh
1800kWh/5.kWh per SS rack = 360 rack batteries,
or 60 six battery towers
60 x $9,000 = 540,000 less discount from SS for large order say $500,000-even including delivery and the rack cabinets and extrended warranty.
Steel building on Conc slab to house it in, $100,000
some building controls, Heat& A/C system lights and some spares $200,000
Contingency, profit, and SCADA system for the goddess extraorinaire, a cool $1million should do it, and GuyG can flip the switch.
Sounds like a modern day Barn Raising.

I estimate 1,500 Sol-ark 15k, each with 30kWh of batteries. They can be commanded by my utility to discharge, so you can piggy back on that software. Maybe hook them up in groups of 3 to get balanced 3 phase output.

You should know my answer already: SMA

That's something like 600VAC, so needs a transformer.

Here's a packaged shipping container substation for 12kV

I'm not finding which batteries these work with (consumer models they do list).

It would be unusual for a company to take on having you supply the battery related aspects and they deliver the rest of the system.

Normally they would supply the entire package using their in house developed supply chain. If nothing else, for liability reasons.

Back