diy solar

diy solar

US/UK

PapaTango

I've read so many pages & watched videos over recent months, I'm in a complete spin as which solar setup or specifically, generator, I'd need for both US 115V (2-spade sockets) & UK240V (3-spade sockets).

I currently live in NY where ConEd monopolise delivery at more than the cost of supply, from a different (green) company and I'd like to try to use as much solar as possible during the summer, if only to power a couple of evaporative coolers during the day.

In due course, I'll be back in the UK and intend either to travel around in a trailer or buy a small house and take advantage of cooling over there too.

At this point, it hard to give consumption figures but can anyone give me a starting point with a generator coping with both types of voltage, or another solution please?

I've read so many pages & watched videos over recent months, I'm in a complete spin as which solar setup or specifically, generator, I'd need for both US 115V (2-spade sockets) & UK240V (3-spade sockets).

I currently live in NY where ConEd monopolise delivery at more than the cost of supply, from a different (green) company and I'd like to try to use as much solar as possible during the summer, if only to power a couple of evaporation coolers during the day.

In due course, I'll be back in the UK and intend either to travel around in a trailer or buy a small house and take advantage of cooling over there too.

At this point, it hard to give consumption figures but can anyone give me a starting point with a generator coping with both types of voltage, or another solution please?
It sounds like your long-term location would be in the UK. Consequently I would be looking at a 220V solution. Many electronic devices these days can operate on either so it does not really mater. However you said : "if only to power a couple of evaporation coolers during the day". That probably means a fan and possibly a pump.... both of witch are most likely voltage specific. If you can use a 220 or 240 V system here in the US, then you will be set when you move to the UK.

One question though: Is the humidity low enough in the UK for an evaporation cooler?

It sounds like your long-term location would be in the UK. Consequently I would be looking at a 220V solution. Many electronic devices these days can operate on either so it does not really mater. However you said : "if only to power a couple of evaporation coolers during the day". That probably means a fan and possibly a pump.... both of witch are most likely voltage specific. If you can use a 220 or 240 V system here in the US, then you will be set when you move to the UK.

One question though: Is the humidity low enough in the UK for an evaporation cooler?

Generally speaking, UK summers are low humidity affairs. In my youth of the fifties/sixties, long hot summers were around 72f but nowadays they can hit 88f but still with nothing like NY humidity.

Update & addendum to earlier question ... Will be returning to the UK as soon as C19 is resolved, but now to be located in a small bungalow.

Now whilst in NY, I've begun woodworking and purchased a number of corded & cordless tools (maximum 1,800w) and rather than ditching all this equipment here and trying to afford replacements there, could someone advise which generator might be my best option ... or should I just buy something like a 5,500w voltage converter?

Naturally, I'd like a Titan but that's out of reach for me; Bluetti AC200 or Ecoflow Delta 1300 are (I think) are better options. Maximum tool voltage would be 1,800w but not for continuous use and wondered if I should also be considering a GS10 Universal Soft-Start?

A 'step down transformer' would be a better choice IMO. The cheaper ones do the voltage change just as well but don't provide isolation from the mains, which isn't a problem normally. The 50/60Hz thing shouldn't make any real difference apart from rotation being a bit slower.

How much is it going to cost to ship your USA tools to the UK? That might knock the whole concept on the head, ie sell tools in the USA and start a new when home.

It's not just tools ... It's a complete home transfer in a 20' container ... Furnishings, personal effects, motorcycle etc, as I did when leaving the UK for the US.

The UK's National Grid doesn't have the outages which I've experienced here in the US but having a solar generator with US sockets would make sense to continue using the US tools there, however the cost-difference in a generator to a voltage regulator/transformer is considerable

The problem you'll face with the portable 'solar generators' is starting power tools. Some tools are well known to be gluttons when it comes to starting current. Check the DavidPoz youtube channel, he has had a few adventures with his saws and breaking inverters. I'm not sure a soft starter would help but odds on someone here has had experience with lightweight inverters vs power tools and a soft starter.

Back