diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

One thing. I bet the guys that designed the Pontiac Aztek get together every now and again and probably have a few and mention, “Yeah, we could have done better…” I wonder if they guys that designed the VeDirect cable connector conclude they could have made that assembly more robust, as it’s pretty much trash. One of the worst electronic connectors I’ve ever had to use. It makes pretty much every USB connector ever, look nukeproof in comparison.
OMG i did not know cars that ugly existed... there are some really good things about being an expat in japan and not having to see that butt ugly POS on the roads.

OMG i did not know cars that ugly existed... there are some really good things about being an expat in japan and not having to see that butt ugly POS on the roads.

There was a show called "survivor" and one of the prizes given for winning this particular seasons show was an Aztek.

The look of disappointment on the winners face, I'll never forget.

And literally they gave one away on The Price is Right and I kid you not, that contestant had the same reaction the other dude had. 🤣

At least it IS WAS (they only made these for a few years back in early 2000's) different, I mean really, look at ALL the current models of cross-over - they are nearly identical. no imagination left in the world?
Now go back and look at cars from the 30's 40's 50's wow the wonderous variety. I wish there were more interesting auto designs out there, instead of the group-think convergance we see. People used to get excited about cars, now they only get excited about new phones.

One thing. I bet the guys that designed the Pontiac Aztek get together every now and again and probably have a few and mention, “Yeah, we could have done better…”
Maybe I'm the odd one out, and I will admit I never owned one, but I actually like the looks and the functionality of the Aztec.

They're cool 👍🏻

I legitimately think it's just a meme to hate on the Aztec.

I assume this is a catchall victron thread at this point?

I have a few questions for resident victron enthusiasts and experts:

1. Cerbo S gx vs regular cerbo gx: Will the S model work to communicate with/monitor a bms? What is needed to accomplish that? I don't need tank sensors and such that come on the more expensive cerbo and would like to save some money. Any reason to get the regular cerbo gx for small/medium off grid installation?

2. If I install a Multiplus II and want to use a generator for battery charging/loads during days with no sun what is better: using the multiplus/victron ecosystem for generator control OR using an EG4 chargeverter?

3. What are the pros and cons of using an autotransformer vs using two multipluses to get 120/240v?

Thank you

For number 1, to monitor a BMS you may potentially use the BMS-CAN ports, which have been removed along with the tank sensors on the S GX. I believe there are drivers that can be installed on the GX or other Venus os device to allow for BMS info to be polled via one of the gx USB ports as well so maybe a workaround.

For number 1, to monitor a BMS you may potentially use the BMS-CAN ports, which have been removed along with the tank sensors on the S GX. I believe there are drivers that can be installed on the GX or other Venus os device to allow for BMS info to be polled via one of the gx USB ports as well so maybe a workaround.

BMS-CAN is for systems that need BOTH a BMS and VE.Can connections as they likely have different connection speeds. A CAN BMS can work with the VE.CAN connection on the Cerbo-S. I have only a single VE.CAN port on my CCGX that I'm using with my Batrium.

IMHO, the Cerbo-S is pointless. The ~$70 savings isn't worth the lost functionality... even if you're not using all the features. I bought the CCGX because the Cerbo wasn't out yet. I will be upgrading to a cerbo in the future... :)

BMS-CAN is for systems that need BOTH a BMS and VE.Can connections as they likely have different connection speeds. A CAN BMS can work with the VE.CAN connection on the Cerbo-S. I have only a single VE.CAN port on my CCGX that I'm using with my Batrium.

IMHO, the Cerbo-S is pointless. The ~$70 savings isn't worth the lost functionality... even if you're not using all the features. I bought the CCGX because the Cerbo wasn't out yet. I will be upgrading to a cerbo in the future... :)
I'm waiting for the new Cerbo gx with extra data functional USB port before pulling the trigger

At least it IS WAS (they only made these for a few years back in early 2000's) different, I mean really, look at ALL the current models of cross-over - they are nearly identical. no imagination left in the world?
Absolutely! My 97 CR-V came with a picnic table in the trunk from the factory... A PICNIC TABLE... Honda knew their customers like to go for beers at a bonfire lol.

Anywho... sorry to get off topic for a moment.

The Honda element is also a fancy utilitarian vehicle to install and haul overpriced Victron equipment in. Sure wish I had one of those sometimes in my driveway vs this turbo Subaru. Hindsight’s 20/20 although I should have learned 2 Subarus ago…heh

The Honda element is also a fancy utilitarian vehicle to install and haul overpriced Victron equipment in. Sure wish I had one of those sometimes in my driveway vs this turbo Subaru. Hindsight’s 20/20 although I should have learned 2 Subarus ago…heh
The Element not only has a carpet-less interior (rubber flooring would make for good safety measures with solar), but they also have split-folding picnic tables and a tailgate. That is definitely the next vehicle I'm going to convert for living.

Just image the feeling of hauling boxes of prismatics, all those LiFePo4 elements in an element painted victron blue would be elemental.

Ideal vehicle for solar addict seems to be a box truck so you can just pull up at freight depot to receive your pallets.

The Element not only has a carpet-less interior (rubber flooring would make for good safety measures with solar), but they also have split-folding picnic tables and a tailgate. That is definitely the next vehicle I'm going to convert for living.

You live in your car?

Back