diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

There may be cheaper ways in the voltronics type units but even the solark and eg4 18kpv end up being a fairly similar cost to a pair of multiplus ii and accessory components.

Permits/grid tie seem to be the major hurdle stateside. Allegedly the multiplus ii is supposed to receive approval

Actually you likely need bigger (unless you've de-rated your AIO), the 8000 kVA is 6.4 kW and 10 kVA is only 8 kW, lots of people often make that mistake, kVA is not the same as kW.
Yeah, I didn't look too hard at the Victron specs, just knew that expecting 8kW from that model was unlikely and it would require a higher spec (more $).

My AIO will actually do 8 kW (not just 8 kVA) but anything over that for like 15 seconds and it will shut down. It's rated for only 10-seconds when > 110% of rated power (with other shorter duration peak specs).

Since my AC connections are only rated for 32 A/phase (which at 240 V is 7.7 kW), then having more single phase power capacity doesn't really help me. It's one reason why I didn't go with the 12kW Growatt but it may have been a better choice with more headroom to manage brief forays of high power. Our power demand has changed, as the cottage has had a change of occupancy after my mum died in early-2023.

The 12 kW 3-phase Deye would be better suited in my case but that's also expensive at A$6k.

I just don't see a suitable Victron model. They have announced a rack mount 3-phase inverter / solar charge controller, the Multi HS19 15kW
PMN483150300-Multi-HS19-Solar-400-15K-200-100-100-400-230V-right_229901134-2048x1333.png

Not available for sale yet but my guess is we are talking well into 5 figure cost range and that would be absurd.

Yeah, I didn't look too hard at the Victron specs, just knew that expecting 8kW from that model was unlikely and it would require a higher spec (more $).

My AIO will actually do 8 kW (not just 8 kVA) but anything over that for like 15 seconds and it will shut down. It's rated for only 10-seconds when > 110% of rated power (with other shorter duration peak specs).

Since my AC connections are only rated for 32 A/phase (which at 240 V is 7.7 kW), then having more single phase power capacity doesn't really help me. It's one reason why I didn't go with the 12kW Growatt but it may have been a better choice with more headroom to manage brief forays of high power. Our power demand has changed, as the cottage has had a change of occupancy after my mum died in early-2023.

The 12 kW 3-phase Deye would be better suited in my case but that's also expensive at A$6k.

I just don't see a suitable Victron model. They have announced a rack mount 3-phase inverter / solar charge controller, the Multi HS19 15kW
PMN483150300-Multi-HS19-Solar-400-15K-200-100-100-400-230V-right_229901134-2048x1333.png

Not available for sale yet but my guess is we are talking well into 5 figure cost range and that would be absurd.
I’d only buy it if it had those spring type terminals of the MPII 😜

Last edited:
The 230V inverters tend to be less expensive as they likely have more benefit from economy of scale... most of their customers are 230V.

You could get a 230V and an Autotransformer ($450) and get 120/240V split phase :p

Found by another member:

Post in thread 'Luyuan battery case' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/luyuan-battery-case.44827/post-1068993

Class t power in finally revealed, m10 sizing, two inputs, two fuse holders. Would need to be used with an m10 distributor unless maybe you drilled the intermodule bolt holes out on a standard M8 distributor

View attachment 210041

View attachment 210042
Ohhh, hopefully, this will show up soon at other distributors. Although I suppose I would need 2 of them to support 4 x 300Ah Trophy batteries.

This was interesting excerpt when reading the manual of the Class-T version of Lynx:
The orientation of the Class-T fuses is important because their connection flanges are not always straight, regardless of the manufacturer. If the connection flanges are not lying flat on the busbar, turn the fuse 180° along its longitudinal axis.

Last edited:
24kw max, about 5-6 continuous with 60kwh battery for: home electricity (workstation, cooking, hot water, 2 meat freezers), workshop electricity (lathe, milling machine, welding machine,... etc lights, computers), heating and ac of both places, electric car charging, external lights during the night, security and com systems...
It seems, you have installed a random system without thinking, because I run even a heavy duty ESAB Welding machine on three Victron MultiPlus-II 24/5000/120-70, heat a 200l Boiler (if it is completely emptid and has only a temperature of 10C it requires roughly 15kWh) with a 2x500W/24V Heating element where I mostly use only one and heat up this pig slowly at daytime. I have use in the winter a 4x Gas Cooker and in the Summer Induction Cooker. I run two Freezer Bozes 320l wit a Danfoss BD50F (12/24V), a Luxor Freezer 80l with a Danfoss BD35F (12/24V) a 240l Fridge 230V, a Convection Baking Oven 230V/2000W, an Air Condition 230V, Solar Well Pump for the irigation on 24V, Grundfoss Alpha Circulation Pumps 230V, etc.

Next thing is a Groud-2-Water Heatpump based on a Danfoss BD350GH/Twin Compressor (24V/660W).

I can run a WHOLE Farm on 12kW or 15kVA and it seems, you waist a lot of energy.
Maybe Italy is rich like the USA?

I bought it on Amazon. Requests got routed directly fo Victron. It was not a good experience. Most of the places around here that sell Victron only sell a limited number of their products, none of them the autotransformer.

You forget one thing:
Victron has official reseller and certified installer (I am both in Estonia) and we went trough a huge set of training to get there.
We, as reseller and installer are responsable to the customers.

People want to buy always a cheap as possible and buy stuff wherever they can get it cheap and then complain, that they do not get any adequate support.

95% of the online shops including Amazon are not qualified to support their customers at all.

Oh, Victron is an official vendor on Amazon and this is the only exception, that you can get direct support from them.

Back