diy solar

diy solar

Victron SmartShunt SOC wrong and no charged energy?

svcharisma

If this has already been covered, I apologize.

I've had my Victron SmartShunt installed for about 3 weeks so far and I have to manually reset the SOC by cutting off all power from the batter bank. System is 12v, solar is 1100w 50v, batteries are 2x 300ah LFPs 12v, Victron 150/60 Mppt. Batteries are less than 3 months old. SmartShunt is wired to monitor whole battery bank, no midpoint.

The solar charges the batteries to full around 11am-12pm everyday and sit on float mode at 13.5v but the SOC on the SmartShunt continues to go down. I'm definitely no expert(or even adept at electronics) but I thought the batteries being charged would bring the SOC back up. I've tried manually setting SOC, zero current calibration, etc. If it does make a difference, I have a fridge constantly running power, draws anywhere from 1-7amps, but is always on. To reset SOC, I have to stop all current from the batteries for a few minutes and let the SmartShunt reset. Also, in the Victron app, the SmartShunt isn't reading charged energy from the solar as well, despite both being connected via VE.Smart Network. It could be wired incorrectly or my settings could be wrong as well. Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_074643.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_074643.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240416_074655.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_074655.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 13
MPPT is bypassing shunt.

Is the MPPT (-) connected to the system side of the shunt or battery side of shunt?

1713276593666.png

Additionally, charging with solar should have shunt charged voltage at 0.2-0.3V below the MPPT absorption voltage, not float.

VE.Smart comms are 1 way from shunt to MPPT. It is sending its voltage and current value to the MPPT (and temperature if sensor installed). It is not communicating SoC, and it isn't receiving any data from the MPPT.

Attachments

• 1713276495222.png
    1713276495222.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
MPPT is bypassing shunt.

Is the MPPT (-) connected to the system side of the shunt or battery side of shunt?

View attachment 209631

Additionally, charging with solar should have shunt charged voltage at 0.2-0.3V below the MPPT absorption voltage, not float.

VE.Smart comms are 1 way from shunt to MPPT. It is sending its voltage and current value to the MPPT (and temperature if sensor installed). It is not communicating SoC, and it isn't receiving any data from the MPPT.
Oh! Thank you so much. I had the MPPT Neg on the battery. I hooked it up properly and everything works fine now. Getting charged energy and SOC is at 100. Has been since I switched it over. Thanks again!

Please ensure you make the "charged voltage" change to the shunt. If your MPPT is set for 14.4V, you should set it to 14.2V.

Using the float voltage criteria specified in the setup instructions can trigger false/premature sync to 100% when solar is inconsistent. The use of absorption vs. float charged criteria is discussed in section 10 of the manual... towards the end of that section.

Additionally, please change:

tail current to 5%
Battery SoC on reset to "Keep SoC"

I just encounter too many things I have to figure out to feel like an expert, but thanks.
There’s been plenty of your victron related post that have helped me. I had no idea the charged voltage on the shunt was suppose to be .2v lower than ABSORPTION. I had mine set to match float at 13.8.

Back