diy solar

diy solar

What Can I personally do to help against climate change?

(y):love:👍
Well I stopped pouring out my used motor oil on the ground and now just throw it in the trash so the dump can have it.😁
When I worked in the oilfield the roads would get dusty. The land owner would call the leasee and they would have a hotoiler go to their tank battery and pick up a load of crude oil, about 1000gal, and drive down the road with a spray bar on his truck to knock down the dust. Worked great and is where the term blacktop came from.
Maybe you ought to lay off the tequila for a while there Mo

(y):love:👍
Well I stopped pouring out my used motor oil on the ground and now just throw it in the trash so the dump can have it.😁
When I worked in the oilfield the roads would get dusty. The land owner would call the leasee and they would have a hotoiler go to their tank battery and pick up a load of crude oil, about 1000gal, and drive down the road with a spray bar on his truck to knock down the dust. Worked great and is where the term blacktop came from.
I am building a waste oil water heater to supplement my solar house heater boiler I am making. with only 1600 liters to work with I do not think that the panels can keep up in the coldest months.

I am building a waste oil water heater
Actually i have been saving it in 55gal drums and i will be using it to fire my wood burning pottery kiln. ... yeah i know, im one of those rare unicorn conservative artists. I was thinking of using a high pressure pump and diesel injector to atomize the thinned out oil. Since i dont live back east i have no idea how a "fuel oil" heater is made or the actual parts used.

Actually i have been saving it in 55gal drums and i will be using it to fire my wood burning pottery kiln. ... yeah i know, im one of those rare unicorn conservative artists. I was thinking of using a high pressure pump and diesel injector to atomize the thinned out oil. Since i dont live back east i have no idea how a "fuel oil" heater is made or the actual parts used.
I have a few old oil furnaces, and a certified waste oil furnace from a transmission shop i reworked.

If you need any info on them ask away.

so these links are for yahoo japan, but should give you an idea of what youa re looking for.

spray nozzle with igniters:

notice two inlets? one for compressed air and one for the oil itself. the two electrical hookups are for the igniters. there are other types that use mechanical pumps instead of compressed air but you would then need a high pressure pump. Any 12 volt EFI style fuel pump should be able to get you 50~100 PSI which is should be more than enough to atomize the used motor oil. these parts coupled with a blower that blows enough O2 across the nozzle as well should be all you need to fire it up. of course you might want automatic controls, now you need to talk to an EE to figure that side out. :) a

here is a simple non injected type burner, you add some kerosene into the bottom of the bowl light it put a blower too is and then start dripping used motor oil in form the top.

neither is particularly hard ot do, some folks modify kerosene burners that are designed for heating water, to use for waste oil burners. this is one of my upcoming projects to see if I can convert an old kerosene water heater to waste oil.

Any 12 volt EFI style fuel pump should be able to get you 50~100 PSI which is should be more than enough to atomize the used motor oil.
This is what Ive pictured in my mind for the last 30yrs or so. The oil just needs to be atomized so that my blower can force the flame in and upwards to the chamber. Starting the firing with wood and then when the temp reaches 2000f or so it should burn the atomized oil completely.
Thanks!

This is what Ive pictured in my mind for the last 30yrs or so. The oil just needs to be atomized so that my blower can force the flame in and upwards to the chamber. Starting the firing with wood and then when the temp reaches 2000f or so it should burn the atomized oil completely.
Thanks!
heads up biggest issue is clogging of nozzels with used motor oil... need to centrifuge it or filter it with a 10 or 15 micron filter. preferably one of the types that can be cleaned with solvent forced through the filter in reverse...

heads up biggest issue is clogging of nozzels with used motor oil... need to centrifuge it or filter it with a 10 or 15 micron filter. preferably one of the types that can be cleaned with solvent forced through the filter in reverse...
The commercial unit i have has spin on oil filter cartridge, with a wrap around heating plate.

I just put a remote filter kit that takes a Ford Fl1A filter.

Solved all clogging issues.

Also helps to have large enough tank that let's you keep the pickup about 6 inches off bottom to let the crap settle out.

There are endless answers as to what can be done politically or by regulation. But you, personally, there is one thing that stands out far and above any other. Don't have kids. Over the next 50 years, there isn't anything you can do that is worse for the environment than having kids. If you have 2 kids, you just tripled your your carbon footprint. Then they each have 2 kids, a seven fold increase over just you.

There are endless answers as to what can be done politically or by regulation. But you, personally, there is one thing that stands out far and above any other. Don't have kids. Over the next 50 years, there isn't anything you can do that is worse for the environment than having kids. If you have 2 kids, you just tripled your your carbon footprint. Then they each have 2 kids, a seven fold increase over just you.

Depopulation by any means right? (Lets import tens of thousands of illegals who have 5+ kids?)

PS. Carbon is not a pollutant.
PPS. Carbon does not cause global warming (there is no actual global warming to begin with, its all based on faulty data)
PPPS. Plants need carbon to thrive.

PPPPS. You are the carbon they want to eliminate.

PPPPPPPS. Bill Gates's single private jet flight causes more 'caboon' release than millions of sheeple combined in their lifetime

Genocide through non procreation. I thought that war and abortion was it..... Guess not...... Some people have a rather "dark" way of problem solving. Why not just heavily radiate the food and water supply?

Genocide through non procreation. I thought that war and abortion was it..... Guess not...... Some people have a rather "dark" way of problem solving. Why not just heavily radiate the food and water supply?

What's funny, is that these psychopaths always want the others to do their bidding.
None of them is practicing what they preach.
All you need to know.

As one of the loudest voices in the AGW scam, AL Gore when VEEP had a net worth of $1.5m US. He now sits on a fortune of $350m US and fronts a $19bn investment company. The rewards are simply too high for these con-artists to relinquish control. Check out The Motley Fool at http://www.fool.com or Google Behind Al Gore’s $19 Billion Investment Firm.

Shock Findings: Plastic Shopping Bags Cause Around Four Times Less ‘Carbon’ Emissions than Paper Substitutes​

If green activists truly worried about atmospheric greenhouse gases (GHG) such as carbon dioxide, they would bring back plastic shopping bags tomorrow. But they wouldn’t – the whipped up plastic scare has been too useful a tool to batter people into accepting the relentless drive to embrace inferior products and technologies. The acceptance of reduced lifestyle choices, and the unlimited chance for middle class activists to virtue signal, is part of the all-important collectivisation under the planned Net Zero project. But now a recent science paper has revealed that in 15 out of 16 applications of plastic covering 90% of global volume, the alternatives actually produced more greenhouse gases.

And not just more, but significantly more. Over their lifetime cycle, paper bag substitutes produce at least four times more GHG emissions than their plastic counterparts. Paper bags are noted to weigh significantly more than plastic carriers leading to higher GHG emissions for production and transportation.

Talk about an inconvenient conclusion. The scientists found that in the 15 applications covering the five key sectors of packaging, building and construction, automobiles, textiles and consumer durable, plastic products released 10% to 90% fewer emissions across the product life cycle. “Furthermore,” the scientists observe, “in some applications, such as food packaging, no suitable alternatives to plastics exist.”

If carbon dioxide is your thing, and, of course, it is the crucial part of the reason for pursuing insane Net Zero policies, plastic needs to make a big comeback. But of course it will not. Despite revolutionising modern industrial life, it has the misfortune to be a hydrocarbon. Most plastics are a by-product from natural oil and gas production. Thus plastic bad, anything else good. The same blinkered thinking justifies the mass slaughter of any flying animal that is caught up in wind turbines, and the industrialisation of the seas at the expense of aquatic life such as whales and dolphins. In Germany, the hypocritical greens have even been in favour of tearing down parts of the forest setting for the mythical Brothers Grimm fairy tales. And we must not get started on road and bridge chomping EV cars. These are a true ecological disaster zone with a manufacturing requirement to turn over vast tracts of the Earth’s crust, and a small problem of insufficient children available to mine all the required cobalt in the Congo.

Of course, much play is made of the harmful disposal of plastic, but this is largely a waste management problem. There are plenty of ways to prudently recycle or dispose of plastic safely, but they come with some financial cost. If rich countries don’t want their plastic to end up in the oceans, they shouldn’t send it to poor countries who, out of sight, dump it in local rivers on their behalf. The scientists note that better disposal of plastics is an urgent challenge given the “threats to biodiversity and ecosystem health worldwide”.

The key table in the paper is reproduced below. It shows that the GHG emission impact in switching from plastic shopping bags to paper, the next best alternative, is 80% higher. The other 15 switches are also detailed with a note of the mostly much higher GHG impacts. The detailed methods used to calculate the plastic versus non-plastic alternatives are laid out in the paper, which is written by three scientists with expertise in sustainability and chemical and biological engineering from Sheffield and Cambridge Universities.

image-48.png

In arriving at their results, the authors considered many indirect impacts such as fuel saving in lighter cars, lower energy consumption in houses insulated with polyurethane and reduced food spoilage when using plastic packaging instead of butcher paper. Many advantages for the use of plastics were identified. Insulating with polyurethane is better than the alternatives and therefore reduces heating fuel consumption, while plastic tanks cut vehicle weight and thus are more fuel efficient. Meanwhile it is said that there are few alternatives to plastics in food production due to high levels of spoilage when using the alternatives. It might be noted that milkshakes and paper straws give an obvious illustration of the problems in using inferior substitutes.

It is reasonable to ask where all the virtuous green solutions to a politically-claimed ‘climate emergency’ will take us. Almost everything that is being forced through, whether it be demonising plastic to blanketing the land and seas with giant wind turbines, makes little sense. They often cause more ecological harm than good, while the fudged finances backing many of the projects might shame Charles Ponzi. It is becoming obvious that modern industrial society will collapse if the Net Zero tyranny is ever enforced.

Extremist greens from George Monbiot to Sir David Attenborough seem only too aware of the many inconsistencies in making changes to any human activity that has an ‘impact’ on the planet. Best, it seems, to have no impact at all, perhaps not be on the planet in the first place. At the moment their views seem to be shared by many influential elites pressing ahead with any number of decadent plans to drive those less well-off than themselves into abject poverty and depravation.

In 1999, Monbiot said flying across the Atlantic, “is now as unacceptable as child abuse”. The rhetoric has hardly diminished over 25 years with Monbiot recently ramping up his doomsday prose to call for an end to animal farming. Eating meat, eggs and milk is an “indulgence” the planet cannot afford, he claimed. How this Guardianista weirdo expects humans to survive on what is often a hostile planet is anyone’s guess.

Perhaps there ought to be fewer people on the planet for a start. This seems to be the opinion of the supreme middle class embodiment of green virtue, Sir David Attenborough. Supporting the neo-Malthusian Optimum Population Trust, he said in 2009 that he hadn’t seen a problem that “wouldn’t be easier to solve with fewer people”. In 2013, he was reported to have observed that sending food to famine-ridden countries is “barmy”. Using the example of Ethiopia, he said the famine there was caused by “too many people for too little piece of land”.

Plastic Shopping Bags Cause Around Four Times Less ‘Carbon’ Emissions than Paper Substitutes
Wow this is funny! The idiots here decided to take away our plastic bags from the grocery stores and now paper bags are the only option unless you want to be a tree huggin pansy and take your own reuseable bags. All the paper bags go into the wood stove after we get home and I return them to the atmosphere.

The reusable bags contain 10x+ plastic than disposable, but on average get used only 3x.
yep same old story, you go buy one of the reusable ones, and next time you go shopping you left it at home...so you buy another one... until you have a cabbage patch kids sized collections of reusable friggin plastic bags.

Back