diy solar

diy solar

What do you use to clean a sticky pollen panel?

Stephen InGeorgia

Here in GA, now that the pine pollen is coming to an end, I clean my panels.
Its always a pain trying to get the pollen residue off. I normally soap down and scrub with a long handled brush and its wearing me out.
What chemicals are safe to use on panels to help loosen the pollen goo?

Some kind of soap? I’d start with Simple Green or Dawn. OTOH it’s glass, so Pine Sol? Ammonia? Glass cleaner?

Can you let the sun burn it off? For a month or so, until it's a dryer type of residue.

I have three answers for sticky organic matters, sunlight, chlorine, or white gas, and only the first one you can be sure is ok for the panel.

Some kind of soap? I’d start with Simple Green or Dawn. OTOH it’s glass, so Pine Sol? Ammonia? Glass cleaner?
I know the glass is just about indestructible, but the frames are aluminum and lots of glazing at the joint. I'd think ammonia based cleaner would be bad. The purpose built cleaner removes the general dust, but I have to hit the bad spots like 3 times with the brush.

PV production is currently effected by all the layers of pollen & other crap that
has collected on my panels.
I use the Ryobi foam cannon & their soap w/ the pressure washer.
I leave the foam on the panel for 5 or 10 minutes, so as to loosen up the deposits.
Spray it off w/ the hose, very good results.
Currently looking for a very long handle brush so I can scrub the soap before rinsing.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 17.45.36.pngScreenshot 2024-04-15 at 17.45.54.png

PV production is currently effected by all the layers of pollen & other crap that
has collected on my panels.
I use the Ryobi foam cannon & their soap w/ the pressure washer.
I leave the foam on the panel for 5 or 10 minutes, so as to loosen up the deposits.
Spray it off w/ the hose, very good results.
Currently looking for a very long handle brush so I can scrub the soap before rinsing.
View attachment 209521View attachment 209522
I use the

DocaPole 6-24 Foot Car Cleaning Kit, Amazon. Good and sturdy with a nice brush.​

Back