diy solar

diy solar

What happens when you mix panels on a string?

I had to double check my temperature conversion unit, but yes -4f is what we could get in Ronkonkoma long island in NYC.
Yup, living in New York would do it… (once lived in Rochester :)).
Damn, that blew my mind. So, even if a second scc is connected to the battery the power from the scc or battery is pretty much the same since it'll flow into the battery and then to AIO and the load.
For the array connected to the AIO, solar power flows to the loads and any remaining power then flows to the battery.

For the array connected to a new SCC, solar power flows to the ‘bus’ where it then flows first into the AIO if the AIO needs additional power to offset loads (which would otherwise be supplied by the battery) and then flies to the battery if there is any excess.

So the prioritization of power source used to offset load is:

#1 AIO MPPT / Solar array
#2 SCC MPPT / Solar areay
#3 battery
So, as long as you don't exceed the charge rating of the battery and connected cables, you could add another scc and panels, theoretically.
You can parallel as many SCCs and solar arrays as you want to charge a single battery or bank of identical batteries as you as you are careful that total charge current can never exceed max rating of each individual battery…
I do have a 48v battery. Would the linked scc work for my battery even though it's only 24v and not 48v?
Not understanding - is your battery 48V or 24V?

Most SCCa rated for 48V charging can also charge 24V and 12V (with identical max charge current meaning 50% or 25% of the max charge power charging at 48V).

This will only work because Imp of both old and new panels matches very well, so if you end up choosing different new panels with very different Imp, combing both panel types on a single string may not be a good idea.

If you are getting a new SCC, the other option is to put nice all of the old panels to the new SCC and use two parallel strings of new panels for the AIO.

Many budget SCCs that can charge 24V batteries will not be able to charge 48V batteries.

For example, you could get by with a 30A 48V charger but Epever’s 30A charger can only charge at 24V or 12V (unable to charge a 48V battery): https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contr...t=&hvlocphy=9032074&hvtargid=pla-869259558187

So at least within Epever’s lineup of SSCs, the smallest / cheapest SCC that can charge a 48V battery is the 40A model I linked to earlier. But that model will clip to 1000W if you ever want to charge a 24V battery with a 1500W array.

The 60A model costs a bit more but can charge from 1500W / 60A @ 24V if you ever decide you want to move to a 24V battery (as well as at 1500W / 30A when charging a 48V battery).
All in all, it sounds like additional panels with a separate scc is a good way to increase how you can use the current panels and charge the batteries.
What I was suggesting is that your use 6+6 new panels to increase the power of your 2 existing strings, and then use 2+2 of the new panels with a new 1500W SCC to achieve the power target you are aiming for.

Based on your calculations @ -20C, you can fit a maximum of 8 of your 370W panels is series staying below you AIOs maximum of 450V. Two 8S strings of those panels in parallel would translate to a 2P8S array of 16 370W panels with total STC power rating of 5920W (close to the 6000W maximum to avoid clipping on your AIO).

The 8 195W panels easily form a 2P4S array with a total of 1560W max Voc of 104.8V, so if you feed either of the Epever SCCs I linked to earlier, you will have little/no clipping and since each MPPT is feeding a 2P string composed of identical panels, this would be optimal and you will lose nothing due to panel Imp mismatch.

This architecture would also work equally well in the case you select new panels with different specs.

So my advice would be to purchase a new SCC with specs similar to the two Epever SCCs I linked to earlier, move all of the 8 old 195W panels to the new SCC using a 2P4S array (which is what I believe you are using now to feed the AIO) and free up the AIO MPPT to feed it with a new 2PxS array composed of identical new panels (the 370W panels you’ve identified or something different if find something better).

6000W of new solar into the AIO plus 1500W of old solar into a new SCC will give you a +400% increase in your daily production with a nice, clean, and optimal architecture…

Yup, living in New York would do it… (once lived in Rochester :)).

For the array connected to the AIO, solar power flows to the loads and any remaining power then flows to the battery.

For the array connected to a new SCC, solar power flows to the ‘bus’ where it then flows first into the AIO if the AIO needs additional power to offset loads (which would otherwise be supplied by the battery) and then flies to the battery if there is any excess.

So the prioritization of power source used to offset load is:

#1 AIO MPPT / Solar array
#2 SCC MPPT / Solar areay
#3 battery

You can parallel as many SCCs and solar arrays as you want to charge a single battery or bank of identical batteries as you as you are careful that total charge current can never exceed max rating of each individual battery…

Not understanding - is your battery 48V or 24V?

Most SCCa rated for 48V charging can also charge 24V and 12V (with identical max charge current meaning 50% or 25% of the max charge power charging at 48V).

This will only work because Imp of both old and new panels matches very well, so if you end up choosing different new panels with very different Imp, combing both panel types on a single string may not be a good idea.

If you are getting a new SCC, the other option is to put nice all of the old panels to the new SCC and use two parallel strings of new panels for the AIO.

Many budget SCCs that can charge 24V batteries will not be able to charge 48V batteries.

For example, you could get by with a 30A 48V charger but Epever’s 30A charger can only charge at 24V or 12V (unable to charge a 48V battery): https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Contr...t=&hvlocphy=9032074&hvtargid=pla-869259558187

So at least within Epever’s lineup of SSCs, the smallest / cheapest SCC that can charge a 48V battery is the 40A model I linked to earlier. But that model will clip to 1000W if you ever want to charge a 24V battery with a 1500W array.

The 60A model costs a bit more but can charge from 1500W / 60A @ 24V if you ever decide you want to move to a 24V battery (as well as at 1500W / 30A when charging a 48V battery).

What I was suggesting is that your use 6+6 new panels to increase the power of your 2 existing strings, and then use 2+2 of the new panels with a new 1500W SCC to achieve the power target you are aiming for.

Based on your calculations @ -20C, you can fit a maximum of 8 of your 370W panels is series staying below you AIOs maximum of 450V. Two 8S strings of those panels in parallel would translate to a 2P8S array of 16 370W panels with total STC power rating of 5920W (close to the 6000W maximum to avoid clipping on your AIO).

The 8 195W panels easily form a 2P4S array with a total of 1560W max Voc of 104.8V, so if you feed either of the Epever SCCs I linked to earlier, you will have little/no clipping and since each MPPT is feeding a 2P string composed of identical panels, this would be optimal and you will lose nothing due to panel Imp mismatch.

This architecture would also work equally well in the case you select new panels with different specs.

So my advice would be to purchase a new SCC with specs similar to the two Epever SCCs I linked to earlier, move all of the 8 old 195W panels to the new SCC using a 2P4S array (which is what I believe you are using now to feed the AIO) and free up the AIO MPPT to feed it with a new 2PxS array composed of identical new panels (the 370W panels you’ve identified or something different if find something better).

6000W of new solar into the AIO plus 1500W of old solar into a new SCC will give you a +400% increase in your daily production with a nice, clean, and optimal architecture…
I have a 48v battery it was referring to the linked 24v scc and if that could charge the 48v which you answered. Thanks, this is a solid plan! I could probably only afford 12 of the new panels now but it makes sense to eventually get 16 total and put that on the AIO with the original 8 195w panels on the new scc. Thanks so much for the help planning it out!

I have a 48v battery it was referring to the linked 24v scc and if that could charge the 48v which you answered. Thanks, this is a solid plan! I could probably only afford 12 of the new panels now but it makes sense to eventually get 16 total and put that on the AIO with the original 8 195w panels on the new scc. Thanks so much for the help planning it out!
You’ll discover with panels that things move fast.

If you start with 12 panels now you will probably discover they are no longer available when you get ready to add the last 4.

So since the 370W panels you identified match Imp so well with your older 195W panels, I’d probably just go ahead and extend the 2 strings feeding the AIO with 6 370s each for this next step.

This gives you a near-optimum upgrade to 6kW at minimal cost and when you get ready to add another ~1.5kW with a new SCC, you have complete freedom to select the best SCC for the 4 new panels you purchase at that time…

Optimum today is a bit better than near-optimum today, but near optimum in the hand is worth more than hoped-for optimum in the bush (meaning hoped for but not guaranteed for tomorrow)…

Back