diy solar

diy solar

What kind of data is available on the different ports of MPP/Voltronic/clones ?

meetyg

Solar Addict
I have a MUST PH1800 Plus inverter (Voltronic clone / look alike).
It has USB, RJ45 and what looks like an RS-232 port.

I know that the USB can be used for PC software and have successfully used it with Solar Assistant. It seems to be a USB to RS485 internal converter.

The RJ45 also has RS485 pins and CAN pins.

The RS232 like port is on the parallel board.

I was wondering: Does the CAN port publish any data from the inverter, or is it used just for reading battery data from a BMS?

Can any data be read from the parallel board's (RS232) port ?

The reason I'm asking, is that I want to use Solar Assistant (via USB) AND connect a small microcontroller (like ESP or Arduino) for some simple automation (driving an external N-G bond relay when inverter is in off-grid mode).

I know that SA supports MQTT, but I really don't want to run another Raspberry Pi just for receiving the MQTT data. I want to use a low-level microcontroller like Arduino for the N-G bond relay, because it's "mission critical" for obvious safety reasons.

I wouldn't trust a Raspberry Pi for critical stuff. Especially not over WiFi.

If SA would allow running a script locally, to drive the relay, that would be nice, but again I would have worries about the robustness.

I have tried to connect two devices, one to the USB and another to the RS485 pins of the RJ45 but it seems that it's basically on the same BUS, so the devices interfere. Only one can communicate with the inverter at a time.

Has anyone tried two devices on two different interfaces of these types of inverters?

Thanks

Back