diy solar

diy solar

What Mini-Split did you use, and Why?

Also if you are doing your own buy the hvac torque wrench metric set. Its a must have to get it right for line sets.

The hvac tech was once a co-worker of my neighbor who is basically and electrician and the guy, who with my help, who did the entire ac side of my hybrid solar inverter, transfer switch, etc. I would call them for sure.
They are "verbally" cool with us doing everything and I had actually found that written in their literature somewhere but I cannot find it now for some reason. The warranty reads "pro install + proof". Proof? They've got all the tech's info on the warranty cert. and more "proof" are the receipts he hand wrote for what he did.
Oh I don't see that, they have a warranty slip they want the guy to sign that he vacuumed the lines and released the dragon. Also want his HVAC license number and that's it
*Pressure test and Evacuation of the line sets must be handled by a licensed
HVAC professional**

I replied to this thread back when it started. I have two mini splits, a 8 year old Pioneer 24k and a 7 year old Senville 12k. They look the same and appear to have come from the same factory. The Senville however has been trouble free while the Pioneer is now offline and waiting for a HVAC technician for the second time. The first repair was a defective temperature sensor in the outside unit. This time while living with an unhappy and sweaty wife in 90°+ temperatures, exhibits the symptoms of a stuck or defective reverse valve. I checked everything I can and it looks like the R410 will have to be pumped out to either repair or scrap it. I have a new 24k Senville Aura high Seer unit in the Amazon cart, waiting for me to pull the trigger. Another gripe is while the Senville plays nice with the iPhone app, the Pioneer constantly puts up a fight. The latency is terrible and once I make a change and it not only takes forever to execute, but much of the time it will switch back to the previous setting. My only incentive to seek a repair at this time is to buy some time until I can replace it with a new Senville because I have too many projects in cue for the summer.
smaller units are more efficient, get 2x 12k units to replace the 24k? at least you won't die of heat if 1 goes out lol

I replied to this thread back when it started. I have two mini splits, a 8 year old Pioneer 24k and a 7 year old Senville 12k. They look the same and appear to have come from the same factory. The Senville however has been trouble free while the Pioneer is now offline and waiting for a HVAC technician for the second time. The first repair was a defective temperature sensor in the outside unit. This time while living with an unhappy and sweaty wife in 90°+ temperatures, exhibits the symptoms of a stuck or defective reverse valve. I checked everything I can and it looks like the R410 will have to be pumped out to either repair or scrap it. I have a new 24k Senville Aura high Seer unit in the Amazon cart, waiting for me to pull the trigger. Another gripe is while the Senville plays nice with the iPhone app, the Pioneer constantly puts up a fight. The latency is terrible and once I make a change and it not only takes forever to execute, but much of the time it will switch back to the previous setting. My only incentive to seek a repair at this time is to buy some time until I can replace it with a new Senville because I have too many projects in cue for the summer.
Before you pull the trigger on that 24k at amazon, you might wanna check out the floor/ceiling mount unit. They only sell it on senville's site and it's the only one on sale ($1,300 before tax/free ship). Why, I have no idea, but it's an aura series unit, so -22f in winter, 10 yr comp/5 yr parts warr and it's rated for 750-1250 sq ft as opposed to 700-1100 (or 1000, depending on where you research). I'm diggin it so far but as i wrote above, no temp showing up on the lcd, but you could call and bitch about that later and they'll probably send you a thermostat. :cool:
IMG_20240426_124447756.jpg

Oh I don't see that, they have a warranty slip they want the guy to sign that he vacuumed the lines and released the dragon. Also want his HVAC license number and that's it
No signature. You can fill it out, but they want the tech's license #, name & company name.

Before you pull the trigger on that 24k at amazon, you might wanna check out the floor/ceiling mount unit. They only sell it on senville's site and it's the only one on sale ($1,300 before tax/free ship). Why, I have no idea, but it's an aura series unit, so -22f in winter, 10 yr comp/5 yr parts warr and it's rated for 750-1250 sq ft as opposed to 700-1100 (or 1000, depending on where you research). I'm diggin it so far but as i wrote above, no temp showing up on the lcd, but you could call and bitch about that later and they'll probably send you a thermostat. :cool:
View attachment 212786
Mine should be arriving Monday. Assume this thing has some WiFi capability like my Aura 24k, although Alexa driven. I also have a sensibo device I run with it. Kinda pissed it has no LCD

No signature. You can fill it out, but they want the tech's license #, name & company name.
Yea I mean sign as in.. the definition of sign
sign:
write one's name on (a letter, card, or similar item) to identify oneself as the writer or sender.
he wrote his name on it (signed it) and want his license number as I said
sign doesn't mean "put name in cursive" lmao

I think this screen will conceal the unit and block it from strong winds. It ties in with the porch skirt. Those concrete blocks are just temp. holding down landscape fabric. I'll paint the treated wood in a few months when it's dried and I added foam insulation to cover the valves then wrapped the new foam and the manufacturers foam with foil tape on both mini's as Supervstech suggested, protecting the foam from uv light. Now he didn't suggest foil tape, but it seemed like a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_084945338.jpg
    IMG_20240502_084945338.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240511_202653352.jpg
    IMG_20240511_202653352.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240511_202714918.jpg
    IMG_20240511_202714918.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240511_202756119 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240511_202756119 (1).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 20
I think this screen will conceal the unit and block it from strong winds. It ties in with the porch skirt. Those concrete blocks are just temp. holding down landscape fabric. I'll paint the treated wood in a few months when it's dried and I added foam insulation to cover the valves then wrapped the new foam and the manufacturers foam with foil tape on both mini's as Supervstech suggested, protecting the foam from uv light. Now he didn't suggest foil tape, but it seemed like a good idea.
Make sure you leave enough clearance in front and back of the unit, you don’t want to recycle air through it. Hurts efficiency.

Iirc, (edit) the manual calls for 12" back & side, 24" on mechanical side and 2 or 3' in front. Mine is 12" side & back & 3 1/2' in front.
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back