diy solar

diy solar

Where to buy the cheapest 50w solar panel? (likely to be stolen)

wopachop

Ive wanted to power some security cameras from 12v batteries for years. I finally have an older 12v Marine/Rv battery i can sacrifice. Just need a panel. The camera pulls 2watts so i thought maybe a 50w panel would be a good size? The battery can start a 5500w Onan genny so its not completely toast.
Where can i buy something mega cheap? Used and cracked but working? (i will have to check the classifieds on this forum)

Amazon. $39 and up:

No real point in looking for "broken". You can buy used 250W at SanTan for $41:

Shipping will cost more than the panel. Bigger than you need. Harder to steal, though.

You will still need a charge controller either way.

Wrap razor wire around it to keep the scumbags (mostly) away. ADOT does this here in AZ for panels along freeways doing various things.

Oh yeah a controller. I was picturing a stand alone trickle charger panel designed for 12v auto batteries. I have a super tiny one that came with my truck from previous owner. Forget the numbers but it wasnt enough to handle a constant 2w draw.

Im in Socal and travel up and down the freeways all the time if there is another company selling blemished panels for local pickup.

Oh yeah a controller. I was picturing a stand alone trickle charger panel designed for 12v auto batteries. I have a super tiny one that came with my truck from previous owner. Forget the numbers but it wasnt enough to handle a constant 2w draw.
Those are usually far more expensive per watt than a single panel and PWM controller, paying the "Convienence fee"

Back