diy solar

diy solar

Will this work?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
I’m off grid building a house. Currently I have 2 RV’s. The main RV has a small solar system. The 2nd RV doesn’t even have a battery right now. I’m installing a wind generator. The charge controller is going to be installed in the 2nd RV because it’s too big for my main RV. My battery is 12v 200ah Lifepo4

Can I connect the DC system of the 2nd RV up the 4 gage wire that connects the charge controller to the battery in the main RV?

So I want to run 2 RV’s off of 1 battery. The wind power would be connected to the 4g wire that also connects to both RV’s DC systems. Why? Well I’m already using the 2nd RV as a place to build out the wind controller. So the power is already there. If it works then I’ll have more climate controlled area for stuff. All the load will be is what ever basic load just hooking up is & like the furnace. So the 2nd RV will not have much draw.

Yeah or just plug RV 1 into an inverter off the other RV's battery then you dont need big wire run.

Yeah or just plug RV 1 into an inverter off the other RV's battery then you dont need big wire run.
SWEET! Ya I’d need a 30amp 3000+ watt inverter to pull that off. It’s in the plans but I only can afford so much a month. Ya the wire was supper expensive then Will’s video about wire came out... I just have to find some marine wire now for the run to the wind generator it self. Wire was more than the wind generator. Next one I buy will be AC & wire will be cheep. Thanks!

Why do you need a huge inverter? If youre just running lights and furnace blower a little $20-40 400w should do. Probably less depending on blower amperage.

Just cause your RV is wired for 30a doesnt mean you need 3.6kw going in.

Last edited:
Why do you need a huge inverter? If youre just running lights and furnace blower a little $20-40 400w should do. Probably less depending on blower amperage.

Just cause your RV is wired for 30a doesnt mean you need 3.6kw going in.
I can run my main RV on a 15amp 2000w inverter for a short while. I wired up a switch where I can switch between shore or inverter power. Not sure whys. But seams like the RV does not like the 15amp power. There is those plugs you can get to plug into a regular 15amp plug. There is issues with that. If the RV wants 30amps & you are only giving it 15, not ideal.

Remember I’m already there with the DC as the 2nd RV is where I’m putting the wind charge controller. I’ll only be powering the DC system in the 2nd RV. So like furnace, fridge & lights. Not much draw.

Thats not how it works. Youre RV only wants 30A if your appliances want it. Dont Expect the AC or microwave to run.

Many, many people power their campers with small, sub-30A generators. Theres zero issue running 15a adapters. It can handle up to 30A, it doesnt command you only use 30A hookups. You simply become limited in appliance usage to whatever current is available.

Another example is some RV parks dont have 30A. Many more dont have 50A for class A's. Its perfectly fine to plug in to a lower rated outlet.

Now low voltage on the other hand can be a problem.

Youre going to have much less problems running an inverter setup. Low voltage is not conducive to long wire runs. It why you have to parallel batteries with 2awg @ 12 inches.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I also do not have a battery in RV 2 currently. Also no where to put another inverter. Inverter would need to be close to the battery & takes huge wire. Like 0 I think.

I’m just buffing my system a bit. Then I’m building a 48v system to really do big power.

I already am running 4g wire form RV to RV. Have to to get the power from the wind charge controller to my battery. While I’m doing that, to tap into that to get the DC going in RV 2 is like a free bee. The cost of 2 bus bar hubs gets me DC in RV 2.

Speaking of bus bar hubs. I was going to make another thread to ask this question. How do they work? DC travels on the outside of each wire. IE why tons of wire in DC wire. Bus bar is just 1 thing. How does it pass through all the power without tons of wires?

Much thanks!

Running 4awg over 15 ft is going to have significant voltage drop. Unless you can program the wind controller to higher than about 15v I would not run the 4awg to solar controller. Instead straight to the lifepo4.

Then to get power back to RV 2 you can hook your battery wires to load on controller or tie into your wire run.

Still more simple to just plug the thing into RV 1 inverter IMO.

Last edited:
As said above. Just have inverter close to dc source an use mains extension to other rv. Because hi voltage travels distance better in cables. With less resistance. An you will get less loss (wasted power) in your battery.

Running 4awg over 15 ft is going to have significant voltage drop. Unless you can program the wind controller to higher than about 15v I would not run the 4awg to solar controller. Instead straight to the lifepo4.

Then to get power back to RV 2 you can hook your battery wires to load on controller or tie into your wire run.

Still more simple to just plug the thing into RV 1 inverter IMO.
I’m about 10’ from the 2nd RV but then another 8’ inside. 18’ from charge controller to battery. 18’ & 2 bus bars.

Wind is blowing like crazy. There is a whole part https://www.mwands.com/shop/product/classic-voltage-reducer?category=268 that deals with extra power. Why don’t solar systems need a similar part?

This is a temporary setup. I don’t have any room for another inverter. I’m installing the wind charge controller in the 2nd RV because there is no room in #1 RV. Now while the power is over there I might as well connect the 2nd RV to the DC thats already there. I don’t really have much power needs in RV2. Just getting a bonus while I’m housing the charge controller there. I was going to put it under RV1. I like this idea better.

Not much I’m doing is ideal. Just trying to get a decent setup to span me until the house is finished. Once that wind generator is up I wont have to run the generators much. That’s the main goal. Getting up & having to pull start a genny for a cup of coffee when the wind is blowing is killing me. ;)

Back