diy solar

diy solar

18 month DIY project finally done: 39kW inverter power off grid system

They are made out of thin aluminum.
That is exactly what I thought when I purchased a flexible dryer hose. I put a match to it and it burst into flames. I replaced my dryer vent with a solid metal dryer vent because I did not want my house to go up in flames.

I suggest the OP test a piece of the vent hose with a lighter to check for flammability.

That is exactly what I thought when I purchased a flexible dryer hose. I put a match to it and it burst into flames. I replaced my dryer vent with a solid metal dryer vent because I did not want my house to go up in flames.

I suggest the OP test a piece of the vent hose with a lighter to check for flammability.
ahhh I think there was a misunderstanding then, at least on my part. I thought you referring to the air diverters he made that are midway down the units.

ahhh I think there was a misunderstanding then, at least on my part. I thought you referring to the air diverters he made that are midway down the units.
OP mentioned flex duct, which is available in high temp applications/non combustible.
My assumption was that with his attention to detail elsewhere, that he didn’t cheap out on ducts.
But yeah if its not metal he may be in for a surprise

I've double checked it, the used Deflecto Aluminum Flexible Duct (from Lowes) is fire resistant.
good to hear. like I said I misread his question and thought he was referring to the air diverters you made. but regardless glad to hear as thats one less worry. I built my system in my shop which is a full 40 meters form my house and its all steel, so I could get one side of the building scorched but that would be as far as it goes. I did not have the guts to install in the house... I am a bit of a chicken shit sometimes.

good to hear. like I said I misread his question and thought he was referring to the air diverters you made. but regardless glad to hear as thats one less worry. I built my system in my shop which is a full 40 meters form my house and its all steel, so I could get one side of the building scorched but that would be as far as it goes. I did not have the guts to install in the house... I am a bit of a chicken shit sometimes.
I had no choice but to install everything in the attached garage and that's the reason why I've done a huge effort to implement these emergency shutdown features (I'm also sometimes a bit of a chicke ;) ).

Here are the passive and active security measures (also used to impress the inspector ;)), which I've implemented to help me sleep better behind this inverter wall...
  • Added fire resistant cement board between the drywall and the inverter/battery/wireway equipment
  • Installed two 5lb fire extinguishers on both sides of the inverter/battery wall beside both doors (class 2-A:10-B:C)
  • Selected LFP (LiFePO4) chemistry for the batteries which have the lowest fire risk because of the lowest thermal runaway compared to other commonly used Lithium battery types (NMC, NCA, LCO, LMO) which are often used in EV’s, laptops, mobile phones, tools, etc.
  • 48V batteries are used (no high voltage solar batteries)
  • Selected batteries with integrated fire arrestors in each battery (EG4-LL V2 and S)
  • All high current battery connections double checked for correct torque specs. Checked all battery connectors and wires under high load with a thermal imaging camera to identify possible connection problems (prevent heat nests).
  • AC Surge protectors are installed in the inverter output combiner breaker panel (to protect the electrical consumers in the house against inverter surges) and in the auxiliary AC-in charging breaker panel (to protect the AC-in auxiliary grid battery charging units inside the AIO’s against surges from the grid)
  • Using Half-Cut cell PV modules to reduce hot-spot risk if partially shaded and provide cooler running at all
  • An insolation measurement (megger meter) was done on each PV module to verify it’s frame insulation is ok
  • Installed Tigo module level PVRSS system to disconnect any PV module from each other in case of an emergency
  • PV strings produces not more than 300VDC to keep the max. voltage relatively low (max. 6 PV modules per string in series)
  • Simple PV serial wiring (no parallel wired PV modules at all to keep the max. PV current in each string relatively low), no combiner boxes, no additional PV wire connenctions and clamps, each string wired directly to a separate MPTT charge controller
  • Emergency controller which is able to provide the following features in case of an emergency
    • disconnect all PV modules via Tigo PVRSS
    • disconnect all batteries from the inverters via relays
    • disconnect all auxiliary grid AC-in battery chargers via contactors, if connected (usually they are already disconnected)
    • ... which will shutdown all inverters/chargers
  • Emergency disconnectcould be triggered by
    • smoke detectors
    • manually with an emergency button located outside of the building
    • manually with an emergency button located inside in the garage beside the inverters
    • remote via smart home integration, either manually or via specific rules like
      • shutdown if the inverters temperatures getting too hot
      • shutdown if the battery temperatures getting too hot
      • shutdown if the camera detects fire or smoke on the inverter/battery wall
  • The Emergency controller sends messages to a smartphone messenger app as preventive maintenance if parameters are not in usual specification range (e.g. if unusual high inverter or battery temperatures; in case of unusual high power consumption; etc.)
  • Added a mini split with a typical indoor wall unit to cool down the ambient in the garage
  • Added a ducted mini split to actively cool down the inverters/chargers by injecting cold air into the inverters air inlets, controlled depending on the inverter temperatures
  • Oversized the inverters to not max. out their possible power output to keep them as cool as possible (usually they run with <20% of their rated max. power and even in very high load situations they usually stay <50%).
  • The system is very precisely documented with detailled instruction for startup/shutdown etc. so others will be able to run (and understand) the system.

Last edited:
I had no choice but to install everything in the attached garage and that's the reason why I've done a huge effort to implement these emergency shutdown features (I'm also sometimes a bit of a chicke ;) ).

Here are the passive and active security measures (also used to impress the inspector ;)), which I've implemented be help me sleep better behind this inverter wall...
  • Added fire resistant cement board between the drywall and the inverter/battery/wireway equipment
  • Installed two 5lb fire extinguishers on both sides of the inverter/battery wall beside both doors (class 2-A:10-B:C)
  • Selected LFP (LiFePO4) chemistry for the batteries which have the lowest fire risk because of the lowest thermal runaway compared to other commonly used Lithium battery types (NMC, NCA, LCO, LMO) which are often used in EV’s, laptops, mobile phones, tools, etc.
  • Selected batteries with integrated fire arrestors in each battery (EG4-LL V2 and S)
  • All high current battery connections double checked for correct torque specs. Checked all battery connectors and wires under high load with a thermal imaging camera to identify possible connection problems (prevent heat nests).
  • AC Surge protectors are installed in the inverter output combiner breaker panel (to protect the electrical consumers in the house against inverter surges) and in the auxiliary AC-in charging breaker panel (to protect the AC-in auxiliary grid battery charging units inside the AIO’s against surges from the grid)
  • Using Half-Cut cell PV modules to reduce hot-spot risk if partially shaded and provide cooler running at all
  • An insolation measurement (megger meter) was done on each PV module to verify it’s frame insulation is ok
  • Installed Tigo module level PVRSS system to disconnect any PV module from each other in case of an emergency
  • PV strings produces not more than 300VDC to keep the max. voltage relatively low (max. 6 PV modules per string in series)
  • Simple PV serial wiring (no parallel wired PV modules at all to keep the max. PV current in each string relatively low), no combiner boxes, no additional PV wire connenctions and clamps, each string wired directly to a separate MPTT charge controller
  • Emergency controllerwhich is able to provide the following features in case of an emergency
    • disconnect all auxiliary grid AC-in battery chargers via contactors, if connected (usually they are already disconnected)
    • smoke detectors
    • manually with an emergency button located inside in the garage beside the inverters
  • The Emergency controller sends messages to a smartphone messenger app as preventive maintenance if parameters are not in usual specification range (e.g. if unusual high inverter or battery temperatures; in case of unusual high power consumption; etc.)
  • Added a mini split with a typical indoor wall unit to cool down the ambient in the garage
  • Added a ducted mini split to actively cool down the inverters/chargers by injecting cold air into the inverters air inlets, controlled depending on the inverter temperatures
  • Oversized the inverters to not max. out their possible power output to keep them as cool as possible (usually they run with <20% of their rated max. power and even in very high load situations they usually stay <50%).
  • The system is very precisely documented with detailled instruction for startup/shutdown etc. so others will be able to run (and understand) the system.
Nice.. were you a Navy Nuke in a former life? if so I got jokes for days about you guys :LOL:

Nice.. were you a Navy Nuke in a former life? if so I got jokes for days about you guys :LOL:
:) no Navy Nuke... in my former life I've grown up and lived in Germany and moved to Arizona a couple of years ago... but I can imagine that you'll have a lot of jokes about them ;) even after a couple of years here I still mess around with the imperial system and split phase idea... a bit strange for a European born... maybe I'm getting too old to fully internalize all this :cool:

Hey, no picking on us former Navy Nukes.
still need to learn to read between the lines and compensate some still missing background information... do I understand it correctly a Navy Nuke is a bit like MacGyver... solving problems in unconventional ways and prepared for everything... :)

still need to learn to read between the lines and compensate some still missing background information... do I understand it correctly a Navy Nuke is a bit like MacGyver... solving problems in unconventional ways and prepared for everything... :)
Nope a Navy Nuke is a person in the Nuclear propulsion field... they are known, well known for nuking problems (working everything out t the last detail). they are very, very detail oriented, but ask @Mattb4 if his testicles glow in the dark like Rudolph the red nosed raindeer??? also ask him for the rate of mutation on his kids... any got three eyeballs :p
sorry matt, told you I got tons of jokes for you... You have not seen the likes of the crayola fueled organically grown fuckery that makes up the USMC. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey, no picking on us former Navy Nukes.
Who Me? :cool:

My nephew is a Nuke Safety Officer... Mustang, went Nuke MM and got tossed for underage drinking literally in the last three days. so they made him a non nuke MM. but he still got the NEC. so after listening to me and his momand grandma ream him out for about 6 months he unscrewed himself and went to college during his 6 year enlistment and then went officer program.

Who Me? :cool:

My nephew is a Nuke Safety Officer... Mustang, went Nuke MM and got tossed for underage drinking literally in the last three days. so they made him a non nuke MM. but he still got the NEC. so after listening to me and his momand grandma ream him out for about 6 months he unscrewed himself and went to college during his 6 year enlistment and then went officer program.
Washout of the Nukes, especially during Nuclear Power School, was high for sometimes rather minor offenses. My first roommate got fleet orders for making the mistake of writing down some of the material from class and having it in the dorm room. It was spotted during a room inspection. Proper handling of classified material* was a big deal.

* I should mention that rather mundane stuff was still considered classified.

Last edited:
Washout of the Nukes, especially during Nuclear Power School, was high for sometimes rather minor offenses. My first roommate got fleet orders for making the mistake of writing down some of the material from class and having it in the dorm room. It was spotted during a room inspection. Proper handling of classified material was a big deal.

In my A school there were a lot of 'Nuke Rocks' that couldn't cut it. Some were pretty smart, others were dumber than a box of rocks and they flunked out of Aviation Electronics as well.

YEAHHHH... with one day delay, I've just got the final approval from the cities building division :) :cool: (y)

Now there is only one step left (hopefully tomorrow), my local electricity provider want to inspect and approve the typical "generator setup" of the system with the manual transfer switch, but they don't care about the "generator" itself (because it's not backfeeding). They told me that they will be ok if the city approved the solar system itself... I don't expect issues here.

YEAHHHH... with one day delay, I've just got the final approval from the cities building division :) :cool: (y)

Now there is only one step left (hopefully tomorrow), my local electricity provider want to inspect and approve the typical "generator setup" of the system with the manual transfer switch, but they don't care about the "generator" itself (because it's not backfeeding). They told me that they will be ok if the city approved the solar system itself... I don't expect issues here.
Thats great news!

Washout of the Nukes, especially during Nuclear Power School, was high for sometimes rather minor offenses. My first roommate got fleet orders for making the mistake of writing down some of the material from class and having it in the dorm room. It was spotted during a room inspection. Proper handling of classified material* was a big deal.

* I should mention that rather mundane stuff was still considered classified.
yeah he was in the top three or four guys in his class and went out to celebrate with a couple of the other kids and got caught when one of his friends got embroiled in a fight over a female... needless to say his friends that were with him suffered the same fate... underage drinking... Can't say much I got rolled for underage while at Camp Lejeune... cost me 2 weeks of restriction over the Christmas/new years holidays...but no pay or rank taken... the 80's were much simpler. I ended up winning on that one as I started taking duty assignments for other Marines at 100/day and it got me out of the barracks as i was on duty marching around a freaking armory for half a day at a time.

yeah he was in the top three or four guys in his class and went out to celebrate with a couple of the other kids and got caught when one of his friends got embroiled in a fight over a female... needless to say his friends that were with him suffered the same fate... underage drinking... Can't say much I got rolled for underage while at Camp Lejeune... cost me 2 weeks of restriction over the Christmas/new years holidays...but no pay or rank taken... the 80's were much simpler. I ended up winning on that one as I started taking duty assignments for other Marines at 100/day and it got me out of the barracks as i was on duty marching around a freaking armory for half a day at a time.

two of the big fails from the navy = alcohol and women. From being to young to drink and old enough to serve or not knowing when to quit. And the women angle was many - underage daughters of higher ranks, sexual harrasment, fighting over them, having a fling with a west-pac widow and getting caught, and the list goes on.

I will say this - I got a ticket for MIP while out on the town in Memphis - (minor in possession) - 5 days before my transfer - I went down to the court house in dress uniform 3 days before transfer and standing at the clerks desk to pull the papers hired the lawyer standing next to me for $50. He knew people and walked me to the courtroom, talked to the clerk and got us slipped in before lunch break. Talked to the judge and the judge said "$300 dollar fine" and the lawyer started asking for more time to pay and I had to grab his arm to say "I have it on me!" ... payed the lawyer, paid the fine, and had to leave my DL with the parking lot attendant while I went and got money for the lot from the local bank branch down the street.

Transfered and the paperwork never caught up with me while I was in the Navy because it was so close to transfer and it was all done. Normally my command would have been notified and I would have been screwed from there on out.

This was 1988, simpler times.

Here are the passive and active security measures (also used to impress the inspector ;)), which I've implemented to help me sleep better behind this inverter wall...
  • Emergency controller which is able to provide the following features in case of an emergency
    • smoke detectors
You've put a lot of thought into this, good job! Thanks for the reminders about surge arresters and smoke detectors.

Back