diy solar

diy solar

24 or 48

How does any of that contradict what I wrote? "No more dangerous"...I was pretty clear and vague on purpose at the same time ;).

We have a bunch of people on this site that I wouldn't trust changing a light switch, let alone building or even tinkering with a high voltage system. But this is an electrical based DIY site, so we shouldn't need to hand-hold and warn about high voltages on every single post. It should be common sense. Electricity is something to respect, not fear like many here seem to do.
Oh, I gotcha... however, BECAUSE this is a diy site... the level of electrical savvy is unknown not just by the poster, and the responders, but by the potentially millions of readers of the post... so, informing to the dangers is wise.

Saying high voltage isn’t dangerous is unwise. I know you didn’t say it wasn’t dangerous... but the message could be implied.

We work with 700v dc systems on the Allison hybrids and I get quite nervous when checking to be sure the electronic safety battery disconnect is working when disassembling components that require removal of the high voltage covers and cables. Getting suited up in multiple layers of thick gloves to hold the DVOM leads just never feels right to me. I find myself thinking I really don't like doing this LOL. Getting bit by 48v is quite painful and dangerous. Heck even 24v will get your attention. But 700v will be almost certain death.

There was a haul truck mechanic at the mines who dropped a wrench and unwittingly was killed trying to grab it before it fell on the electric motor. He got blown off the truck and died at the scene. He was taking safety short cuts and it cost him dearly. So yes respecting any voltage is important. Large capacitors like found in Microwaves and high output inverters can be deadly too.

While working on a running piece of 24v equipment and just touching the battery hot wire with one forearm (leaning on the battery or another hot lead) and the back of your our other arm on the fender ground and it will give you a nice little zap. I have done it by accident. Remember if your working on an engine your likely sweating too. Hell even 12v will give you a nice tingle like a 9v on your toung. Try it if you want but you will not like it. Don't try it on 48v system though.

Back