diy solar

diy solar

30kWh Envision Import & DIY

...can’t wait for the diy bit...
Well I may end up disappointing on this front. The 2p16s setup was playing on my mind. I started to look at sourcing another same v3.0 seplos BMS with the active balancer to do two DIY boxes. It was working out at least 230 delivered, more than double what I had already paid for the other one ( why didn't I order two ?). I also started pricing up all the wood, fire boarding and parts like terminals, busbars, fuses etc. And then, fogstar had 10% NY discount on the seplos mason cases including the same BMS and active balancer (£450 each). Yes it's more, but the gap was closing.

Really want to DIY but that lovely professional looking metal case is very attractive and they have had many good reviews, so I have placed a pre-order while I could still get the discount. I'm now in limbo on what I cancel/return and end up using...

Well I may end up disappointing on this front. The 2p16s setup was playing on my mind. I started to look at sourcing another same v3.0 seplos BMS with the active balancer to do two DIY boxes. It was working out at least 230 delivered, more than double what I had already paid for the other one ( why didn't I order two ?). I also started pricing up all the wood, fire boarding and parts like terminals, busbars, fuses etc. And then, fogstar had 10% NY discount on the seplos mason cases including the same BMS and active balancer (£450 each). Yes it's more, but the gap was closing.

Really want to DIY but that lovely professional looking metal case is very attractive and they have had many good reviews, so I have placed a pre-order while I could still get the discount. I'm now in limbo on what I cancel/return and end up using...
I will have to check out the Seplos mason cases... I’ve already got some bms sorted..however £ 450 per pack... it soon adds up..even diy is not cheap anymore... maybe cave somewhere is way to go..

Still looking forward to whatever approach you take... I think I will check out the forum on the Seplos mason...and the bits and pieces that come with it... I’ve been looking at dc breakers...

Any updates on the delivery from NKON...? I’d imagine the courier companies are clearing the Christmas /New Year backlog... it’s over 2 weeks for me now...

Its still DIY tho

you say your printing a case and having wheels on it ?

you do know how heavy 32 cells will be they are over 5.5kg each thats 176kg or to us older ones its over 27 stone or 388 pounds

I have two Seplos masons with 16 cells and moving them is very hard

you do know how heavy 32 cells will be they are over 5.5kg each thats 176kg or to us older ones its over 27 stone or 388 pounds

Anyone remember the old bags of cement.. before health and safety decided to half them... 50kg was a fair weight.... do 3 and 1/2 old bags of cement... that’s heavy..?

I will have to check out the Seplos mason cases... I’ve already got some bms sorted..however £ 450 per pack... it soon adds up..even diy is not cheap anymore... maybe cave somewhere is way to go..
I have the horizontal mason from Fogstar the cost of the kit including battery's is £ 2530 for the 304 A grade

to buy just the 16 batteries on there own is £2560 so £30 more and you dont get the Seplos mason kit

I have the horizontal mason from Fogstar the cost of the kit including battery's is £ 2530 for the 304 A grade

to buy just the 16 batteries on there own is £2560 so £30 more and you dont get the Seplos mason kit
That’s a good deal...

Any updates on the delivery from NKON...? I’d imagine the courier companies are clearing the Christmas /New Year backlog... it’s over 2 weeks for me now...
They arrived today! Which was a surprise as the tracking said they were still in Lichfield. They were wrapped in cellophane, strapped to a pallet and stacked 2x2.

I feel sorry for the poor chap who delivered them. Nearly 200kg on a pallet and a van delivery. Forklifted in but he was expected to manhandle the pallet off! We unwrapped and hand balled them off.

One box had some damage but the cells inside are fine. They were super cold, so letting them acclimatise for a few days. The cells in the damaged box (the only one I opened) all measure exactly 3.294v. No visible bulging.

Will add some more pics as I progress.

Yes I saw those too. Prices have come down a lot. But that pricing doesn't make sense!

In total if I go for the seplos mason cases (most expensive opton) it will be £1635 per 15kw battery.

The original idea was to 3d print some spacing trays inc cable routing and BMS brackets, on a wooden wheeled base. The plastic would not have been taking much load.

A few updates.

The Seplos cases have arrived. I was still in 2 minds about using them, continuing to design my own casing while waiting and half expecting them to be returned. But once they arrived and I took a peak at one, there was no going back. They are really well built and professional looking pieces of kit. Not to mention the additional safety of using 2 BMS. I also learnt that the new v3 BMS supports the ginlong CAN protocol so I am hopeful my inverter comms issues with multiple chained BMS will be resolved.

Unable to leave my 3d printer out of this project I have already made some small improvements.
  1. I do not like the amphenol connectors used. They are expensive for one, and are quite light and flimsy on inspection. I ordered some chunky bolt posts, but the mounting hole spacing is 23mm instead of 21mm. So I drilled out the eyelets and printed some eccentric spacers to re-allign the centres.
  2. I will be stacking the batteries and they need to wheel in and out of a space for access. I wanted a sleeker solution than building or buying a dolly (like I did before). I found some 280Kg castor wheels with bolt through mounting but the smallest was M10. I have printed an M6 to M10 sleeve so I can use some spare longer M6 bolts straight into the factory feet holes.

I'll be building them up next. I've noticed there is a lack of instructions for this specific model, which has a different layout of busbars to the BMS, the active balancer and balancer to BMS and switch wiring in addition. It isn't hard to figure out what goes where but I'll post a pic incase it helps someone (or me, if I got it wrong...).

First peak convinced me. I notice on other reviews a criticism is that the accessories were loose in the case, but they are now packed in a separate box:
IMG_1414.JPGIMG_1417.JPGIMG_1415.JPGIMG_1416.JPGIMG_1425.JPG

Different terminal and modifications:
IMG_1418.JPGIMG_1419.JPG

Added wheels to factory feet bolt holes:
IMG_1427.JPGIMG_1426.JPG

Wiring reference. I kept all the power (BMS and active balancer) on this side (connected to back of battery posts) rather than going to the cells. This should keep wiring neater. This is only a trial wiring to work it out, I've ordered some fabric wiring loom tape to keep everything under control:
IMG_1428.JPG

1st one nearly built. Loom tape makes for a neat install!
IMG_1443.JPGIMG_1444.JPG
I'm in no rush as I'm still waiting for the gas pipe to be moved so I can fit these in!

1st one nearly built. Loom tape makes for a neat install!
View attachment 188768View attachment 188769
I'm in no rush as I'm still waiting for the gas pipe to be moved so I can fit these in!
Mine are still sat in their boxes... I checked the voltage on a few.. waiting for a clamp meter before I think about top balancing.. prob will wait till I get an IR meter as well... so a few things to think about .. I think they will be ok till I get my act together.. must admit I’m a little nervous and still thinking of how I’m going to approach the build..well done for getting stuck in so quickly..

Last edited:
Almost good, the foam should be between cells and bar
Good spot! I put foam both sides because they over-supplied the eva for between the cells. I liked the idea of extra insulation against the lid, not that it is anywhere near it.

Back