diy solar

diy solar

Adding another 24v 100ah SOC of older battery at 26.5V and SOC of new at 26.4

merrillbalan

The second battery came in broken after I tried to charge it alone and make sure its full charge. I opened the box and found out the foams got out of place and the clamp that connects 4 batteries to the next 4 was disconnected. After fixing it, the charge went up from 22v to 26.4 so I connected it to my old battery in parallel and connected it to my Inverter. The discharge started slow, which makes sense, but the next day, seems like with the solar charging my batteries, the state of charge for both batteries are very slow. Do you guys think its defective? the Seller urged me to open up the box and investigate so they know the battery is bad and I have 12 months warranty. I will try to charge each one of them again to full charge and try again. My question is, why does it take longer now to charge even though I have more capacity now, but it feels like the discharge is faster now with 2 batteries vs with one. Should I ask seller for replacement or try to salvage this? I am receiving the third battery today btw so I should have 3 24v 100ah same brand Afrizona LifePO4

why does it take longer now to charge even though I have more capacity now
It always takes longer to charge more capacity than it takes to charge less capacity.

Let's say you have a 40A charger. When you had 1 12.8V 100Ah battery it would take 100Ah / 40A = 2.5h to fully recharge. With two such batteries you now have 200Ah / 40A = 5h to fully recharge.

it feels like the discharge is faster now with 2 batteries vs with one
Feel is irrelevant. Does it really (as measured) take less time to discharge 2 batteries than 1 battery? If you have the same loads it should last twice as long. Even if one battery was completely defective the battery bank should discharge no faster than with just 1 battery.

You should fully recharge each of the two batteries one at a time and then hook them up in parallel to your system. Do make sure that the positive wire to your system comes from one battery and the negative wire to your system comes from the other battery. Do not hook both system wires to the same battery. That will lead to unbalanced batteries. Fully recharge your batteries so your shunt can properly reset to 100%. Make sure your shunt has been updated for the new capacity.

makes sense, I will fully charge each one plus the third one thats coming in today and go from there. thanks for the samples above.

I found a great deal on the afrizona batteries -- how have they been for you?
I have had no issues with them after I fixed the connecting plates inside the battery. I cut through the top and fixed the cracked plates. in 3-4 months that I have been using them with my 2 3k Growatt 24v set up i have had no issues at all. do you mind telling me where you got the afrizona batteries? are they 12v or 24v? I got mine from amazon. as far as I know, you can only parallel up to 6-8 24v batteries per seller.

Back