diy solar

diy solar

Adding storage to my Enphase system

I had some time to do some garage work today. I had the XW do a little bit of grid charging as another storm is moving in. With just enough sun out to run the house on the Enphase system, and the XW sitting in "No Float", I figured it was a good time to check on battery health. Remember, I am using Lithium Ion NMC cells from a Chevy Bolt EV. The clouds did their odd thing again where I got some extra reflected light on the panels a few times. The peak power on the Victron system actually hit 1,900 watts out of the 2,000 watts of panels, but it was only for a couple minutes at 1:04 PM. The Enphase system only shows the average of each 15 minutes, so it is only showing a maximum of 2,500 watts out of 4,800 watts of panels. I got a total of 9.4 KWHs out of the Enphase system (1.958 sun hours), and 4.01 KWHs out of the Victron (2.005 sun hours). So once again, the DC system does better when the production sucks.

Back to the battery testing from earlier...
It seems either the JK-BMS voltage calibration drifts with the temp, or it just plain drifts. The measured voltage at the cells at very little current was off by 0.2 volts again. And the Victron battery voltage reading matched my Fluke meter. So I did the voltage cal in the JK and now it is within better than 0.05 volts. My Fluke is only a 4 digit, so I could not go any further. The XW still shows higher than the Victron, but the JK-BMS reading is closer now. I verified a few of the cell voltages in the old battery case with the JK-BMS and after the cal, the ones I can get to easily were all within 0.002 volts of the reading in the iPhone app. At less than 4.1 volts I get the third decimal. So I see up to 4.099 volts, but the next step goes to 04.10 volts. So I trust the JK readings now, especially from cell to cell. And it is reporting the lowest to highest cell, at absorb voltage were within 0.003 volts from lowest to highest at 4.043 to 4.046 volts.

Now it was time to check the two strings in the new battery cabinet. I can't easily get to the actual cell terminals, so the best way I have to check the cells is from the BMS balance connectors. I have to turn off the battery disconnect, then unplug the connector from the BMS and measure each adjacent wire pair. The meter leads end up very close to touching to probe those pins. I need to come up with a better way. I managed it without shorting a cell, but you have to be slow and careful. These are on the dumb Daly BMS units, so they don't have any data reporting, and they only have a 60 milliamp passive balance function. When a cell is above about 3.85 volts, and more than 0.010 volts higher than any other cell, it turns on the 0.060 drain on that high cell. I measured the upper bank first and was quite surprised by the result. The lowest cell was #3 at 4.040 volts and 3 other cells were all the same highest voltage of 4.046 volts. So just 0.006 volts from the lowest to highest cell. That means the balancer is not even turning on to do anything. It only works at greater than 10 mv.

The lower rear bank is a bit more difficult to measure as the balance leads are going further down, so it does not have as much slack to pull it out to get the meter leads on it. It took me a bit longer to get all the cell readings, but I did it again with no shorts. The balance was not quite as good, but still not a problem at all. The highest cell was just 1 mv higher than the upper string at 4.047 volts. Several cells were at 4.045 and a few were down at 4.041 volts. But there was one straggler down at 4.038 volts. That makes the spread from highest to lowest at still only 0.009 volts (9 millivolts). My guess is that the balancer did have to pull it in and stopped trying when the difference went under 0.010 volts. So that is where it is at.

Unlike LFP cells, there is not a sharp voltage knee at the top. There is a subtle knee where the voltage des rise a little faster, but it is down around 60% state of charge. The slower rising voltage seems to give the small balance current enough time to keep a weak cell from running and hitting the high voltage cut off. On the low side, the weakest cell will go below the knee first, then the voltage drop slows a little and the others will catch up a bit before they are all below that knee. And then the voltage of the whole battery falls slower until 10% left, and then they do fall off a steep knee like LFP cells. I have never run mine down low enough to see it actually happen. The XW stops inverting at about 40% remaining.

The Victron was still pushing some charge current, so when I had the 2 new strings disconnected, the old string got the full charge current of maybe 4 amps. I only had the disconnects open for about 15 minutes, so the voltage didn't rise much with out dismal sun, but it was enough that when I reconnected a new string, the old JK-BMS charging current fell to under 1 amp and the new string took all of the charge power. The difference in voltage was not enough to cause the old battery to discharge into the new battery, because the Victron charge controller was pushing enough current that it only took a couple minutes for the new batteries to get up to the same voltage as the old strings and the current was very evenly shared once again.

We have rain and clouds for 2 more days. I will be doing a small grid charge each night until we get some sun again on Wed. Last night it charged for 8.5 hours, but at just 7 amps. At an average voltage, just under 55 volts, that is less than 3.3 KWHs of battery charging from the grid. But it also causes all the house load to come from the grid overnight as well. So it was charging at 4 amps instead of discharging at 17 amps. Running the house was another 7.8 KWHs of grid power last night. Oh well..

Today the Enphase system was down to just 5.5 KWH which works out to 1.146 sun hours.
The Victron charge controller managed to pull in 2.45 KWHs or about 1.225 sun hours.

Needless to say, I needed the grid charging to make it through the evening high rate period.

We need the sun back!

With Enphase's bi-directional charger coming out soon™, any thought of adding to your system with an EV?
I have been thinking about an EV for about 2 years. But there is always something better ahead. I think I do want to wait until all of the cars have the NACS connector instead of using an adapter. But will the NACS support bidirectional operation? My hybrid just keeps working and my cost per mile is very close to what an EV can do. I know I don't have enough solar to cove my driving in an EV. I will need to buy some grid power, but I should be able to do the bulk of it at the lowest rate. I am tempted to add another 18 KWHs to my battery bank. Then I could time shift cheap grid power to charge the EV any time it can be parked at home.

The Enphase charger would be cool, but will it play nice with my XW-Pro battery inverter? How much of the Enphase Ensemble system would I need to allow the bidirectional function? I already know my Combiner 3 box is too old to even make full use of iQ8 inverters.

There are a few question marks in there.

The Enphase charger would be cool, but will it play nice with my XW-Pro battery inverter? How much of the Enphase Ensemble system would I need to allow the bidirectional function? I already know my Combiner 3 box is too old to even make full use of iQ8 inverters.

There are a few question marks in there.
If you happen to have an emporia vue, emporia has an EV charger that works with the vue to use "excess energy" to charge an EV before allowing it to go back to the grid (assuming the vehicle is plugged in when the sun is out). The vue already knows how much power is being imported/exported, and the 2 communicate so that the export is used for the EV instead. If you already have a vue, it shouldn't need any additional logic, programming, or hardware. If you don't have one, it might be worthwhile to consider it :)

... will the NACS support bidirectional operation?
I can't say for sure, but the internet seems to think so:
Tesla's NACS connector is capable of bidirectional charging [ref]
1708471174022.png
(DC lines are directly accessible for rapid charging)​
My hybrid just keeps working and my cost per mile is very close to what an EV can do.
You need to find a workplace where they have free EV charging... then you can take your power home with you and sell the excess to your VPP . ; -)

The Enphase charger would be cool, but will it play nice with my XW-Pro battery inverter?
I don't think it would care. Probably the worst case is it would think it was the grid.

How much of the Enphase Ensemble system would I need to allow the bidirectional function? I already know my Combiner 3 box is too old to even make full use of iQ8 inverters.
Fairly sure it would need an Envoy & Enpower, so you're one for two. ; -)
You could send tech support a drawing of your configuration and ask if it would have problems to modify your existing system.

Wow, as the weather get's worse, the Victron controller is shining.

The Enphase system did a dismal 3.3 KWHs today, just 0.6875 sun hours.
The Victron controller pulled 1.60 KWHs or 0.8 sun hours.

That is over 16% better production per panel watt. Too bad I need 23 KWHs to run my house, and all my solar panels combined only managed 4.9 KWHs today. I will once again be buying 18 KWHs from the grid over night.

How exactly are you measuring the sun hours again?

I think this has been the lowest February production of my 8 years of solar
I even turned off my AIO for the last couple of days. I think it uses 75W so there's no reason to keep in on

How exactly are you measuring the sun hours again?
Take the watt hours produced and divide it by the watts of solar panel that produced it.

In my case, my Enphase system has 16 x 300 watt SilFab panels. That is a total of 4,800 watts of PV panels. Today the system made 3.3 KWHs or 3,300 watt hours / 4,800 watts of panels = 0.6875 sun hours.

My DC system has a total of 2,000 watts of panels, but it is a mix of 5 x 200 watt BougeRV panels and 10 x 100 watt NewPowa panels. That system made 1.6 KWHs or 1,600 watt hours / 2,000 watts = 0.8 sun hours.

Which might be fair measure of sun hours in the winter when panels are cold.
Summer, panels are hotter than 25C and produce less than rated watts in full sun.

Tilt of panels is also a factor. You could apply a correction when off-angle for the season.

The difference could be from orientation of the panels and not necessarily from victron effeciency

I am mostly using it to just compare how well the two systems are doing.

The panels are at slightly different angles, and that will skew the results some. The heading is about 15-20 degrees different. I have the DC panels a bit closer to true south while the AC panels are about 22 degrees to the west. The DC panels are also at less tilt angle which is hurting now but will help in summer. Also in the winter, the Enphase AC system has a bad shadow in the evening. If the clouds move in in the evening, it is not hurting the Enphase system as much as it hurts the Victron system. But if there are clouds in the morning but then the sun comes out in the evening, the Enphase panels take a bigger hit when they should be producing and when the DC panels get full sun, later in the day, the AC panels have the shadow. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but it allows me to see if either system is having a problem. If they are always within 10% of each other, it is likely they are both working just fine. If there is a big difference, I need to look into why it happened.

Calculating it like this is giving me less "sun hours" than the real amount of sun exposure as it also includes the losses from both systems. The Enphase numbers are after powering all of the monitoring electronics and the inverters to AC output. The Victron is powering it's internal monitoring but then just a DC to DC conversion to charge the battery. Obviously there is a bit more loss again as it is converted to AC by the XW-Pro inverter. But this is less loss than the Enphase system having to be converter from AC back to DC to charge the batteries, and then converter from DC back to AC to feed the loads. But I use about 40% of the Enphase production directly to run my loads as the sun is shining.

For the 10 months with the BougeRV charge controller, the DC system never produced better than 95% of the effective sun hours of the Enphase system, and it averaged more like 88% on good production days. With the Victron controller, it is always better than 90% and has been hitting over 100% in bad conditions. Part of the issue is the amount of wasted power running 16 separate inverters when there is very little sun hitting the panels. The loss from each iQ7 inverter is small and not a big deal when there is a lot of sun, but in low light conditions, it adds up to quite a bit of idle current loss.

This is an interesting issue I didn't expect to run into.

They were predicting clouds again today, so I set the XW to grid charge a bit over night. Well the sun came out strong and my battery was up to the XW bulk limit at 9:40 am. So the Extra Enphase power has been exporting most of the day now. And now, before 12:30, the Victron controller is about to go into float mode. I shut off my PLC and I am trying to tell the XW to export a bit to grid to make a little room for more power in the battery, otherwise the energy will just be thrown away with the Victron in float mode. I just saw it drop into Absorb mode when the battery hit 57.6 volts. The current dropped to 22 amps of charge current, so it started to curtail.

I told the XW to export 15 amps and also had to move my "Sell Block" time back to allow after 12:30 pm. That did it. Any time the clouds move over, I now see the battery current ramp up as high as 40-50 amps to push that power back to the grid. I know I am only getting the "Super Off Peak" credit for this export, but that is still better than just throwing the power away. It only took a couple minutes and the Victron went back into "Bulk" mode.

I am just going to pull the battery down to 57 volts even and then I will put the PLC back in control of the system. I have only pulled 440 watt hours out of the battery so far, I wanted to pull about 2,000 watt hours. Then I should have room for all of the power from the Victron system. But as I was doing this, clouds moved back in. Oh well. I am back into normal PLC control with the battery down to 57.4 volts after pulling out 800 watt hours.

I need to add some control to the PLC so that it will command sell mode when the battery voltage is getting close to 57.6 volts. That should be an easy command structure to add. Then at 57.2 or so, have it go back to normal. It would do it a lot better than I just did manually.

Now the clouds got thick enough, the Enphase panels are no longer even running the house load, let alone giving any extra for charging or grid export.

I am trying to manually do what I would want the PLC to do.

To really make this work right, I really need to add 2 more power meters to my PLC. I nee to measure the full power coming in from the Enphase system as well as the power coming in from the DC charge controller(s). With clouds going by, the amount of power is constantly changing. The Victron controller has switched to "Float" mode, but it is doing it's best still to try and hold the battery voltage at 57.6 volts. It was pushing as much as 18 amps in float. I am only making an adjustment every 5 minutes or so, not the 5 seconds my PLC normally does. I see the battery current going from 10 amps of discharge down to nearly zero when the clouds clear. But by the time I can get in to make a change, the current ramps back up again. I am going to add a few more steps to the laddr logic, I will probably make it a 10 second loop on the next update. That will give me plenty of steps to add new monitoring functions.

Today was an odd day. We went from full on intense sunlight, to heavy clouds a few times. Here is the power trace from the Enphase system.
Enphase-02-21-24.JPG
Even with that giant trough in the afternoon, I still produced a nice 16.3 KWhs from the system making a calculated 3.4 sun hours today. The DC system went into absorb and float, but I burned off some energy into the grid to keep it cranking out near bulk charge power. It held 18 amps while in Float mode to make a total of 6.65 KWHs which works out to 3.325 sun hours. That is just a tick behind the Enphase system. the shade started hitting right as the shadows would start hitting the lower panels. It was nice to see that the Victron controller had no issue pushing it's full bulk power while in float mode as long as the voltage was not climbing.

This weather is going to drive me crazy.

The predictions are useless. They were predicting heavy cloud cover today, so I did a bit of grid charging. While it was a bit clouding in the morning, sure enough, the bright sun came out for half the day. The XW hit max bulk voltage at 11 am. The DC system kept pushing and went into absorb then float around 2 pm. The forecast for the next few days is more of the same, "partly cloudy" to "cloudy" most of the next 3 days. But it did hit 75F outside today, that was nice. I need to cut my back grass, but the yard is still a swamp from all the rain we have had.

This weather is going to drive me crazy.

The predictions are useless. They were predicting heavy cloud cover today, so I did a bit of grid charging. While it was a bit clouding in the morning, sure enough, the bright sun came out for half the day. The XW hit max bulk voltage at 11 am. The DC system kept pushing and went into absorb then float around 2 pm. The forecast for the next few days is more of the same, "partly cloudy" to "cloudy" most of the next 3 days. But it did hit 75F outside today, that was nice. I need to cut my back grass, but the yard is still a swamp from all the rain we have had.
I know you are doing PLC to control sellback, but is there any particular reason when the batteries are nearly full, that you couldn't just figure out how much DC solar is coming in, and add that amount to your export wattage via the PLC? When your batteries are above some threshold (make up a number,, 95%?). you can read how much power is on the DC side from the victron, right? If it's 1,000w.. have the PLC command the XW pro to export 1,000w?

(Not super familiar with the victron gear, but I assume you can read the values off the mppt without needing their full ecosystem?)

I guess, in short, I'm thinking along the lines of the XW Pro doing export to grid, as if it was a schnieder mppt, but obviously not as simple due to the PLC.

I guess, in short, I'm thinking along the lines of the XW Pro doing export to grid, as if it was a schnieder mppt, but obviously not as simple due to the PLC.
Yes, I am thinking about how to do this, but it is a little trickier for a different reason.

Once the XW hits it's absorb limit, it just passes through the energy coming in from the Enphase system. So that is easy, I don't even bother calculating it, it just happens. But the XW AC1 CTs do measure that power so it knows that energy is already exporting. Most of the time, this is a good thing. My system is measuring all of my loads in the main breaker panel, and I command the XW to "export" that much out the AC1 grid input port. So let's say my loads are drawing 1,500 watts back in the main panel. And I have another 800 watts in the backup loads panel. And the Enphase system is producing 1800 watts. The output port of the XW sees just 1,000 watts coming in to it's output port. My PLC reads 1,500 watts back in the main panel, and tells the XW to "Sell" 1,500 watts back to the AC1 grid input. It's "smart" it already has 1,000 watts coming from Enphase, so it only pulls another 500 watts from the battery to cover the load in my main panel and the export goes to zero as intended. This all works fine, as long as the battery is not full with a lot of sunlight.

Now it's solar noon, the Enphase system is making 3,500 watts. My backup loads panels is still only using 800 watts, the main panel is using just 400 watts. That means there is another 2,300 watts still coming in. My PLC commands the XW to charge at 2,300 watts. That energy goes to the battery, and grid export falls to near zero, all good. But now the battery becomes full. That 2,300 watts is now exporting to grid. Good, it's better than throwing it away. But the DC system is also pushing 1,400 watts. It's going into the battery and raising it another 1.1 volts. Yes, the PLC can se this, and I could just tell it to raise the export power, but here is the problem. The PLC does not directly know how much power is already being exported. If I tell the XW to export 1,400 watts that is coming from the Victron DC system, The XW won't actually export anything as it already is seeing 2,300 watts going out to the grid.

The simple thought is to just measure that export number, then add the DC power to it. The XW would then add the power asked for by puling the 1,400 watts from the battery. But then what do I do for the next run of the loop. It would now see 3,700 watts of export. How much is from the Enphase, and how much is from the XW? If a cloud moves over, the Enphase output could drop 500 watts, but the XW is still exporting the full 3,700 watts, but now 1,900 watts are coming from the battery instead of just 1,400 watts.

What I should do is add 2 more power meters to my PLC input. One to read the power coning in from the Victron controller, and the other to read the power directly from the Enphase system. Right now, I have not been able to get the PLC to read data from the Enphase system at all, and I have not even tried to understand Victron VE direct. So the 2 more cheap power meters would do the job. I may be able to forego a meter for the Enphase as I do read the watts coming backwards in from the backup loads panel. And that has the benefit of already having the back load power taken off the reading. I also then subtract the watts being used in the main panel, but then add the DC watts coming in from the Victron system. Then command the XW to export that wattage.

I really need to draw up a proper flow chart to see where and when I should be doing each step. And when I add an EV charger into this mess, it will get real fun.

So far this year, the XW-Pro charged the batteries with 321.8 KWHs. The Victron did 250 KWHs. Add those up and 571.8 KWHs went into the battery and the XW-Pro inverted 497.5 KWHs back out of the battery. By those numbers, I lost 74 KWHs over 46 days. That works out to an average of 1.6 KWHs a day being lost. That looks like only 87% efficiency. It should be better than that, but I will go with what the XW is reporting for power in and out from the battery.
I think the inverters pull about 35 watts out of the battery as idle current. Maybe that factors in here?

Back