diy solar

diy solar

Anker SOLIX X1 Cost

solarguy456

Just watched a video on the Anker SOLIX X1 home backup unit.

Would like to compare it to an EG4 6000XP and an PowerPro battery since the specs are similar. The only feature that the X1 has over the 6000XP is it can push power back on the grid.

They want you to give all your information before they tell you how much it costs. Anybody go through the quote process and know how much the system costs?

Thanks.

Just watched a video on the Anker SOLIX X1 home backup unit.

Would like to compare it to an EG4 6000XP and an PowerPro battery since the specs are similar. The only feature that the X1 has over the 6000XP is it can push power back on the grid.

They want you to give all your information before they tell you how much it costs. Anybody go through the quote process and know how much the system costs?

Thanks.
Guess they won’t be selling many that way.

They aren’t publishing any prices and not giving any quotes. I suspect it’s going to be Tesla model, propriety installers who can pick up the 30% credit as installation cost

It’s a UL9540 unit so it’ll probably costs more than a 6000XP / PowerPro which is not.

And I have an anti-need to fanboy over a ESS from Anker. The previous SOLIX release was a bit cringe with how they marketed it and wrote the specs — I wasted an hour deciphering what “AC coupling” meant… it’s not what this forum expects. In my mind Anker will hopefully exist just to push down prices for other brands

I have watched the videos of the Anker Solix X1. Looks great until .........

You realize that it is completely proprietary. If Anker fails, you are done for, no warranty, no repair, no service. Another issue is that Anker spent so much time making this unit only 5.5 inches in depth, that the battery stacks are very limited in the videos so far. I could be wrong, but it looks like every stack I have seen has an inverter on the top. And if you stack more than say 4 batteries and the inverter, then the inverter is too high to reach standing on the ground.

Next, each inverter is only 6.6 kW. That's low. Many homes will need 3-4 inverters to power the home and HVAC. That's a lot of wall width. If you have 4 inverters, what do you do, put 2 batteries on each for 40 kW . Do they share all the batteries so one inverter is the master? And what about the battery voltage, it means for larger cabling.

It's got a lot of great features from the technology point of view, but the packaging is very limited and it seem intended for smaller homes and easy installation rather than larger homes that need a more robust inverter and 60-100 kW of back up.

Lastly, remember the Sony beta VCR. They were proprietary too and the best, but other companies drove it to extinction with VHS. If Anker is soo good, license your technology, put it in different package forms to reach more homes and businesses.

For now, I think the best solution out there is Sol-Ark due to the range of inverter capacities and the wide range of battery compatibility with battery closed loop functionality. It simply meets more needs, indoor and outdoor while providing future safeguards if the inverter fails or the batteries fail.

Where Sol-Ark needs to head is in the use of high voltage battery stacks and an outdoor convection cooling design.

The other thing thats not immediately obvious but its ac-coupled solar only, so no MPPT's. So you'll need to add in the cost/complexity of micro-inverters to add solar to it.

Well, I already have two SMA grid tie inverters totaling 8600 kW. Why do I want to keep using 9 year old inverters and add more inverters? I just want a hybrid inverter and batteries. I know SMA hybrids are available, but tied only to a high voltage BYD battery stack. I like a more open architecture.

it is similar to the Growatt HV battery setup. it has an additional intelligent box like Tesla.

Growatt Black Box

Last edited:
One thing I'm starting to notice is that if your early marketing is primarily paid sponsorship of YouTube personalities (e.g., Ambition Strikes) you may not be for me. Likely expensive, with a lot more "cool factor" than I need. I do see about a zillion EG4 and Victron videos, but most don't appear to be paid placement/sponsorship, so I'm less skeptical/cynical. The Anker stuff looks great, but I have less than no need for micro inverters and super skinny equipment, and I suspect that's true for many on this forum.

What did he say? 400v? In that small a space? That's like 120P, sooooo... NOT nice safe LFP in a small package?

What's that? You need UL as well as NEC stickers?

geez-thats.gif

The more i read into it is the old world high voltage battery storage like Tesla Powerwall or LG Resu in the US and likes of Growatt and made it modular with the the intelligence added in an external box like Tesla for switching.

Back