diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer Switch

pabla007

how come no one is using Din Rail Mounted Automatic Transfer Switch Three Phase ATS 2Pole 63A 110V Power Transfer Switch (2P-63A-110V) in RV. I think it id simpler and one.

Attachments

• 71OljsxGIML._SX522_.jpg
    71OljsxGIML._SX522_.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21
how come no one is using Din Rail Mounted Automatic Transfer Switch Three Phase ATS 2Pole 63A 110V Power Transfer Switch (2P-63A-110V) in RV. I think it id simpler and one.
I am thinking about it. I have to replace mine as it failed last season.

I think the reason is that for houses, when power goes out you want it to switch by itself, power does go out at times.

In an RV, this is not really a concern. If you have shore power then that is more rare for people with full capacity solar/battery, bc those ppl are set up for boondocking or dry camping for the reason they tend to dry camp.
When on battery then likely there is no other source (a running generator or shore) of power to switch to, manual intervention needed such as cranking a generator If there was shore power then the RV would already be on shore power.
Things that run on DC will switch auto already via the charger/converter or will be running off the battery which could be running off a charger, so no switch needed.

To have an auto switch, so if shore power goes out it switches to the inverter, is just not something people seem to need. I would never ever leave the inverter on and running just to have everything automatically able to switch over to inverter if shore goes out. In such a case I would want to go investigate (something you really cant do at house if power lines are down many miles away).

When setting up camp, or pulling into a camp spot, shore power or no power, then that is easy enough time to manually select the power source. Yes, easy to have an auto switch, but for the price and extra complexity, whats the point? Why would you ask on a solar forum this question?

I think the reason is that for houses, when power goes out you want it to switch by itself, power does go out at times.

In an RV, this is not really a concern. If you have shore power then that is more rare for people with full capacity solar/battery, bc those ppl are set up for boondocking or dry camping for the reason they tend to dry camp.
When on battery then likely there is no other source (a running generator or shore) of power to switch to, manual intervention needed such as cranking a generator If there was shore power then the RV would already be on shore power.
Things that run on DC will switch auto already via the charger/converter or will be running off the battery which could be running off a charger, so no switch needed.

To have an auto switch, so if shore power goes out it switches to the inverter, is just not something people seem to need. I would never ever leave the inverter on and running just to have everything automatically able to switch over to inverter if shore goes out. In such a case I would want to go investigate (something you really cant do at house if power lines are down many miles away).

When setting up camp, or pulling into a camp spot, shore power or no power, then that is easy enough time to manually select the power source. Yes, easy to have an auto switch, but for the price and extra complexity, whats the point? Why would you ask on a solar forum this question?
I couldn't imagine not having an auto transfer switch. Luckily Victron has these built in and the Quattro does both gen and shore.

Most RVs with generators have auto transfer switches.

for an rv, I people use it for generator back up, so when they start their generator it will switch over and start charging their batteries, I use it myself for the inverter, so when I am boondocking and I want to use a 120V appliance I just turn on my inverter and the transfer switch energises my 120V side of my power distribution so I can use any plug or appliance.

sure, that is how it works.
That is why people DO use it, but is not the topic of why people do NOT use it. If you buy a store bought rv with this stuff in it already then you do use it one would assume. Why do people who do not have it not go to the trouble of installing one? or is this all imaginary?

I understand I made a mistake, posting under solar. I have 30 foot rv trailer. I just finished setting 10 kW batteries with victron multi plus inverter since I am doing all the wiring. I figured it would be nice to purchase the little device set up automatic switch. Before I even purchased just wanted to check with you guys and what other people are doing. I will be setting up transfer switch but just wanted to get other peoples opinion. I will be using 30 amp power and the other side will be connected to generator for back up.

One issue you need to solve is your N-G bond. (Neutral-Ground Bond). This unit doesn’t help.

When on inverter your inverter needs to supply the N-G.
When on generator, the generator needs to supply the N-G bond.
When on Grid, the grid will supply the bond.

You CANNOT have more than one N-G bond at a time (bad things happen if it is needed).

With the transfer switches you purchase they flip both the hot and the neutral at the same time- so it isolates the N-G bond at the generator (disconnected it) from the grid. Then you only have to make sure your inverter is handling the N-G bond correctly. Makes the connection when inverting and breaks it when incoming power is active.

The way I wrote that (above) is using my Victron Multiplus inverter that accepts power from the grid/generator. If you have the transfer switch switch between the inverter & the generator/grid, then the inverter doesn’t need to switch the N-G bond because the transfer switch will isolate it.

It’s all in how you plan it.

The above switch would be difficult to properly implement into a RV.

Back