diy solar

diy solar

Bidirectional EV charging is getting closer to reality. Pretty cool stuff

The top paragraph stating the battery supports up to 50kWh confuses me...
I read a little about it and I believe it will pull up to 50kw hours from the battery max. Over what time period I have no idea, maybe prior to receiving a charge?

I have a lot of questions to be honest. continuous power and surge from car to home would be nice to know as well.

They don't mention if every EV is supported, or what protocol/connector it uses...
I know that the upcoming CCS 3.0 protocol has addressed V2X as a standard, and possibly DC-DC applications.
But if this new charger only supports CCS 3.0, we will have to wait a while untill it arrives with newer EVs.

Dcbel is finally installing it's R16 units in select markets which is CCS or Chademo

Fermata still has their commerical bidrectional chargers for the Leaf. The residential unit is still in UL testing.

Ford is deploying the Sunrun based system for the F150 lightning

Things are finally happening!

They don't mention if every EV is supported, or what protocol/connector it uses...
I know that the upcoming CCS 3.0 protocol has addressed V2X as a standard, and possibly DC-DC applications.
But if this new charger only supports CCS 3.0, we will have to wait a while untill it arrives with newer EVs.
Yeah, I watched a youtube vid saying it was compatible with "all 400v and 800v EVs" with a puzzling look on my face. That would be a hell of an engineering feat to be able to trick every EV in the market to doing V2L and V2G.

Yeah, I watched a youtube vid saying it was compatible with "all 400v and 800v EVs" with a puzzling look on my face. That would be a hell of an engineering feat to be able to trick every EV in the market to doing V2L and V2G.
Presumably it's taking DC directly from the EV and there will be an inverter in the charger. That's the only way they can do that as not every (many?) cars have an inbuilt AC inverter. I am lucky enough to have an MG4 that does but it's still a rare feature.

So do these have a built in transfer switch (for use as a backup when grid goes down) or do they only work with certain units like the original post seemed to imply? In any case, I see the utility companies not making it easy to implement (i.e. having the same requirements as any other permitted grid tie system).

The fly in the ointment is Tesla, who have recently opened up their chargers to other standards in an apparent bid to become the one "universal" standard and this could make the other standards obsolete.
Tesla have been notoriously slow in adopting reverse charging back to houses since this could cannibalize sales of their Power Walls.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future.

Thanks for the article!
Product was announced by an Israeli company at a German trade show with availability a year away.
Unclear how this will affect the NA market.

Odd that they refer to "the battery" having a certain capacity - aren't all cars different or does the device have its own battery?
Pretty sure no battery in the device. My best guess is that it will allow up to 50kwh of draw from the battery at a time (insert your own definition of "at a time" here). Not sure if it will be released in the NA market. Europe seems to get a lot more stuff ready to roll quicker than we do.

Back