diy solar

diy solar

Clean Slate boat lift

DannysFleet

What a great site! And I actually understand some of it! :ROFLMAO:
But after hours of searching here (and elsewhere) I am a lot smarter and have some ideas, but still no plan. I don't know why solar needs to be so hard.....

I am having a boat lift installed and I am excited about off-grid power. The installer says to get a 4000W generator. Would MUCH prefer solar (and wind?).
So I have a clean slate to do this right and would love some thoughts on what you would do!

The lift uses 2x 3/4HP motors. 12.5Amps @ 120 Volts = 1500 Watts (each). There is also a 240V option if I wanted to do that.
It would just be for recreational use, used maybe 3x per week. The boat lift is small, rated for 2500lbs.

What would YOU do?!
120V or 240V?
Battery types? How many?
Invertor size?
Controllers?
Panels?
Other?

OR, what have you done that you feel confident would work in this situation?

The goal is to have it all self contained, weatherproof on the dock.

THANK YOU! Next time you're on the Chesapeake, crabs are on me!

Last edited:
I would caution you that motors often require dramatically more current - about 5X to start vs. their run current. Any system you select will need to take this into consideration.

If you just want to run the lift. A 4000 watt low frequency inverter probably at 24vdc input. 100ah of lead acid batteries at 24vdc and 2x 100watt solar panels in series with a 10amp charge controller. Pwm or mppt doesnt matter.
If you want to power more like dock lights, keep a electric cooler cold on the boat so you dont have to bring ice every trip and ect. .Then you need to define those requirements first

If you just want to run the lift. A 4000 watt low frequency inverter probably at 24vdc input. 100ah of lead acid batteries at 24vdc and 2x 100watt solar panels in series with a 10amp charge controller. Pwm or mppt doesnt matter.
If you want to power more like dock lights, keep a electric cooler cold on the boat so you dont have to bring ice every trip and ect. .Then you need to define those requirements first
Thanks Anarchy! Very much appreciated! This gives me a great framework to run with.
Yes, I'm just looking to power the lift.

Now I can focus on product selection for all those components. Any brand/product recommendations are appreciated!

I’m running a 12,000 pound boat lift. Dual old 3/4 HP motors @ 120V.

I started with a cheap WZRELB 48V 3kW high freq inverter that would work sometimes and choke out other times.

I now use a Sigineer LF inverter and it always works. No problem with the surge as it’s 3x for 20 seconds. I will find an old link with the specs.

The crazy thing is that I run this system off a 48V nominal ebike LiFePO4 battery from eBay that is only rated for 25 Ah !

Edit : here is the old thread :

@DannysFleet I would like my crabs @ Cantlers if you’re at that end of the Chesapeake. ?

My whole system would easily fit in a dockbox with a little ventilation. The fact that the lift doesn’t have much of a duty cycle makes this a fairly easy project.

Last edited:
And in case anyone thinks I’m smart for coming up with this you can read this old thread that proves otherwise ? :

Last edited:
And in case anyone thinks I’m smart for coming up with this you can read this old thread that proves otherwise ? :

ha ha ha ha. Great one. Thanks for sharing. Great lesson for sure.

I’m running a 12,000 pound boat lift. Dual old 3/4 HP motors @ 120V.

I started with a cheap WZRELB 48V 3kW high freq inverter that would work sometimes and choke out other times.

I now use a Sigineer LF inverter and it always works. No problem with the surge as it’s 3x for 20 seconds. I will find an old link with the specs.

The crazy thing is that I run this system off a 48V nominal ebike LiFePO4 battery from eBay that is only rated for 25 Ah !

Edit : here is the old thread :

@DannysFleet I would like my crabs @ Cantlers if you’re at that end of the Chesapeake. ?

My whole system would easily fit in a dockbox with a little ventilation. The fact that the lift doesn’t have much of a duty cycle makes this a fairly easy project.
Thanks Joe! Great info. Based on some of the prices I'm seeing I might end up getting an electrician to run the power afterall. :(
I'm on the eastern shore - so not too far away. We'll have to meet up this summer.

No problem, haven’t been that way in a few years but always went to Cantler’s when I was in town for the Annapolis boat show.

Good luck with your project.

Back