diy solar

diy solar

Cost of solar

Ditch the most solid and stable system on the market with decades of proven results for a Chinese AIO thats brand new. What's the real world idle consumption of your AIO?
It’s an RV…
I love the idea of tier one as much as the next guy but why people think a 7-10k system is necessary for an RV Is beyond me

You spent $5k on your system. Is that ok or not?
Whether something is “okay” is irrelevant.
A lot of these discussions turn into tier 1 vs “China” and yet there are thousands of people running “China” gear with success for their entire HOUSE.
My point was, for pleasure, in MY mind, that much money for a system that one isn’t dependent on is silly.
Then again people are paying 100k for pickups now too so maybe it’s just me that has lost touch with reality.

To answer your question, it was 6 figures to bring poco to my property, was my alternative okay?

Whether something is “okay” is irrelevant.
A lot of these discussions turn into tier 1 vs “China” and yet there are thousands of people running “China” gear with success for their entire HOUSE.
My point was, for pleasure, in MY mind, that much money for a system that one isn’t dependent on is silly.
Then again people are paying 100k for pickups now too so maybe it’s just me that has lost touch with reality.

To answer your question, it was 6 figures to bring poco to my property, was my alternative okay?
Honestly, I don't care how much you spent. You seem hell bent on making sure I don't spend more than a certain amount that you determine. Not sure why. I spent $7k. You could do it for $3k. I don't want your $3k system. You don't want my $7k system. Have I given the impression that my way is better? It certainly is better for me. All chinese didn't work for my 50A system. I had a lot of kluge going on as I learned stuff. Once I went with the MPII 3000 2x120 to make the 50A install super simple, the rest just seemed to fall into place. The Cerbo is what sucked me in. I won't give that up. Makes my trailer look cool.

Honestly, I don't care how much you spent. You seem hell bent on making sure I don't spend more than a certain amount that you determine. Not sure why. I spent $7k. You could do it for $3k. I don't want your $3k system. You don't want my $7k system. Have I given the impression that my way is better? It certainly is better for me. All chinese didn't work for my 50A system. I had a lot of kluge going on as I learned stuff. Once I went with the MPII 3000 2x120 to make the 50A install super simple, the rest just seemed to fall into place. The Cerbo is what sucked me in. I won't give that up. Makes my trailer look cool.

I had clipped a screenshot of your original post, no longer relevant so now removed.
re-reading the original post i did make a mistake and now understand your frustration. You already own the system. This whole time I thought you were shopping for a system and resigned to the fact that the champion generator is nearly 1/10 the cost.
My initial posts were simply conveying that it could be done w whole lot less as I ASSumed you were a discouraged perspective buyer. If people have the funds to not blink at a tier one for their toys, more power to them 🍻

So I apologize. My premise was not to say my way is better than yours. I am not blindly a Victron hater, hell my gear is blue as well so that someday the future Victron gear can kind of match 🤣 Seriously, this whole time I thought that initial graph was your goals and not your existing set up

Coolio. The 50A part forced me to Victron although I think there are other options now for 2x120 ina single unit.

It’s an RV…
I love the idea of tier one as much as the next guy but why people think a 7-10k system is necessary for an RV Is beyond me

Im not calculating my cost but it's well over that. Couple differences for me. When I'm in my RV I don't want to have to fix things. Multiple redundancies and separate systems so if something breaks I can fix later and not ruin a trip. I also plan on emergency response and such so having a mobile system that can power a house and/or a disaster relief area. On top of that there's a possibility of needing to hunker down for days or weeks.

I also agreed if I was getting a new RV I'd go Tier1 everything

I keep telling mine I find this stuff at the goodwill or dollar general. ….so far so good.
my wife wouldn't fall for that.
I say - "that solar stuff belongs to the company dear, paid with before-tax dollars and all written off anyway." :unsure:

my wife wouldn't fall for that.
I say - "that solar stuff belongs to the company dear, paid with before-tax dollars and all written off anyway." :unsure:
There’s no fallin for nothing..😁…swear ….I just found 20 Canadian Solar 390 watt panels over by the cat food section at Dollar General on close out..( no returns / no refunds,) for $1.50 each..🤫
45 lbs each or whatever… a pain to lift and load..😅….
( now I can show her this thread …) …if it’s on the internet it must be true…😇

Ditch the most solid and stable system on the market with decades of proven results for a Chinese AIO thats brand new. What's the real world idle consumption of your AIO?
Again.... there is a ton of trash talk about AIOs that are indeed all made in China. Now can we discuss where Victron is made? Oh , hey, China, Malaysia and India.... So AIO are cheap junk and Victron is perfect.?? My point is that there is a TON of trash talk that AIOs are junk, but I have seen nothing substantial to back up the claim.

..and to clarify... Victron is good stuff, but it isn't feasible for all due to the cost. I didn't have more than what I spent, and I had to spend over a year saving up to put it all together. I appreciate that Victron is good stuff, but I also believe that AIOs can work for far less money and they have not been proven to be untrustworthy.

@Will Prowse I would love to see some long term tests on the 3000-6000w AIOs.... maybe even setup on vibration tables with heat extremes... etc

It’s an RV…
Because you don't live in an RV and do not understand consumption options therein? I suck up around 3500 watt hours a day, and that excludes A/C.

Because you don't live in an RV and do not understand consumption options therein? I suck up around 3500 watt hours a day, and that excludes A/C.
I have lived in an RV for the last 2 years…
I even used zero propane this winter, yes still when it was -5 outside

Again.... there is a ton of trash talk about AIOs that are indeed all made in China. Now can we discuss where Victron is made? Oh , hey, China, Malaysia and India.... So AIO are cheap junk and Victron is perfect.?? My point is that there is a TON of trash talk that AIOs are junk, but I have seen nothing substantial to back up the claim.

..and to clarify... Victron is good stuff, but it isn't feasible for all due to the cost. I didn't have more than what I spent, and I had to spend over a year saving up to put it all together. I appreciate that Victron is good stuff, but I also believe that AIOs can work for far less money and they have not been proven to be untrustworthy.

@Will Prowse I would love to see some long term tests on the 3000-6000w AIOs.... maybe even setup on vibration tables with heat extremes... etc
It's not about where they're assembled but where they're designed and Who designs them. You can get a steak at Applebee's or at Ruth Chris's.

My 5kw inverters have a idle consumption of 40w each. Yeah there's search and aes or whatever modes to get that down under 10w but there's not much reason to even mess with it.

Victron is 5year warranty by default and you can get them with a 10yr. They're built and designed to last forever, with like a 50 year proven record.

Victron doesn't cost that much, they don't nickel and dime you and are constantly enhancing their products. They also don't keep refreshing their models like others they add skus to enhance the market. All their specs and efficiency rating charts are posted so you know exactly how to create the most efficient solution.

I've yet to see an AIO with low idle consumption and one that posted their efficiencies on a chart with consumption.

Back