diy solar

diy solar

Designing a battery system help.

johntony

I need help in getting my head around a battery system for my house.

I have 2 separate solar arrays

1. On main house 3.6kw with a soils standard inverter

2. On shed approx 20m from house and main fuse board 2.6kw again with standard soils inverter feeding sub board in shed which feeds back into main board in the house.

I would like to fit a battery to help capture excess generation.

So do I
a) change the inverter in the main house to a hybrid and fit batteries to that let that do its thing and just leave the shed as is.
b) fit an AC charge inverter that can take the excess from both. Something like AC coupled myenergi Libbi which looks out of my budget.

Not really possible to get any extra cables to the shed

If I go with a) which seams the simplest to me will the shed feeding into the house main board cause issues?

Looking at maybe 10kw storage with a peak inverter load of 5kw also would like to be able to set charge schedule for battery on app/phone instead of getting into attic where the inverter will most likely be located.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Location Ireland

Something between a) and b).
A hybrid AIO with AC coupling capabilities, at the house.

Batteries in house because of risk of freezing in shed. You want something like the Sol-Ark or EG4 18K and the Shed should come in the Gen port of the Sol-Ark. The reason is: In the event of Grid Down, the Sol-Ark can disconnect the shed when the batteries get full. This is important because the Shed is considered "AC Connected Solar", and if there is nowhere for the power to go (produce more than you can consume), then it will fry the inverter. The Gen Port can disconnect the Shed, and then the Shed inverter will limit power generation to the Shed usage, or shut-down. If you want power at the shed during grid down, then a Lead Acid battery at the shed would give enough battery to keep the shed going if the sol-ark disconnects. Lead Acid would tolerate the cold better.

take a look at the Sunsynk videos on the web, you can also ring them in the uk to clarify any issues. they have quite a few inverters which are approved in Northern Ireland, im not sure whether Ireland accepts the same approval system or the EU approvals (again though the Sunsynk do have EU approvals i understand? )

In my opinion this is by far your best option on a budget

AC couple battery inverter, designed to add on retrofit onto batteryless gridtie systems

Sadly only 3.6kw , but I guess you get what you pay for , if you want bigger you're going to have to payout for the privilege.

I wonder would I be better off waiting and saving up a bit extra to get the Libbi might be easiest to integrate as have a zappi and Eddi already lot to be said for one app

Back