diy solar

diy solar

Differences in cheap 100w solar panels?

After lurking for a while, I finally ordered the parts to my first DIY solar "generator". I learn best by doing, so I am trying to spend as little as possible while allowing for upgrades. So for now I have only ordered one panel. There are quite a few 100W monocrystalline Solar Panels, all around $85 each. I went with the Newpowa, but not for any great reason. There was also Richsolar and HQST. Renogy was significanly more expensive (I did splurge on an MPPT charge controller). Anyone have any experience with these panels?

Can you explain your application a little bit more? What is this going to power? A room like a shed? A vehicle? What kind of storage do you plan on? Lead acid or lithium?

I ask this because of the trend of calling every installation a solar generator. If you have panels, a charge controller, a battery, a 12V fuse block (if you go that route), that really works out to a full blown solar power system. When I hear that term solar generator my brain goes to those self contained cases no bigger than a battery that you can unplug from the PV source and carry elsewhere to use the stored power, like my Goal Zero, and the Bluetti and the Jackery boxes. I mean, in my case, I charge my Goal Zero from the wall, so it's little more than a portable battery with fixed 12v, 110v and USB output options. So I am just a little confused by the use of the term solar generator that I see here. I also see them called portable power stations, which seems more accurate, since these don't "generate" anything. The provide power generated and stored in them.

As you are in the learning stages, you are doing it exactly right. Keep the budget down as you learn by building the Yugo and THEN build the BMW when you have a good working knowledge!

If not for Will's book and youtube channel, I would not know anything about solar. You are in the right place to learn.

Last edited:
Can you explain your application a little bit more? What is this going to power? A room like a shed? A vehicle? What kind of storage do you plan on? Lead acid or lithium?

I ask this because of the trend of calling every installation a solar generator. If you have panels, a charge controller, a battery, a 12V fuse block (if you go that route), that really works out to a full blown solar power system. When I hear that term solar generator my brain goes to those self contained cases no bigger than a battery that you can unplug from the PV source and carry elsewhere to use the stored power, like my Goal Zero, and the Bluetti and the Jackery boxes. I mean, in my case, I charge my Goal Zero from the wall, so it's little more than a portable battery with fixed 12v, 110v and USB output options. So I am just a little confused by the use of the term solar generator that I see here. I also see them called portable power stations, which seems more accurate, since these don't "generate" anything. The provide power generated and stored in them.

As you are in the learning stages, you are doing it exactly right. Keep the budget down as you learn by building the Yugo and THEN build the BMW when you have a good working knowledge!

If not for Will's book and youtube channel, I would not know anything about solar. You are in the right place to learn.

Glad you asked! This particular application is intended to go in a rolling tool box for "mobile" power, whether it's for my home appliances during an outage or just car camping. Also, it's a a fun project. I was drooling over some used CALB 3.7V 100Ah LiFePo4 batteries (4 for just under $400 on eBay) but in the end I decided to get a 100Ah AGM. I'm also getting:
The whole package comes in just under $425 $600 otd. I haven't bought the case yet - that comes after I get it all working.

I plan on adding a BMS and a 5V charger for USB gizmos.

Last edited:
Good start, but with an AGM battery you can only use half the amps, so you may want to consider either a second one of those AGMs or bite the bullet for a lithium. As you said, this is the "starter house" so when you go full speed you can always choose to upgrade the batteries. The weight of anything but lithium is going to end up being a factor, but you know your application better than I do. And your strength to lift it into your car for car camping. Budgets often have control of projects like this. And willingness to go into debt. LOL!! I have about $1400 into my solar power system, with $620 of that being the battery. But it is only powering an occasional tiny camper trailer. I so rarely have a power outage here that I don't even consider it.

Good start, but with an AGM battery you can only use half the amps, so you may want to consider either a second one of those AGMs or bite the bullet for a lithium. As you said, this is the "starter house" so when you go full speed you can always choose to upgrade the batteries. The weight of anything but lithium is going to end up being a factor, but you know your application better than I do. And your strength to lift it into your car for car camping. Budgets often have control of projects like this. And willingness to go into debt. LOL!! I have about $1400 into my solar power system, with $620 of that being the battery. But it is only powering an occasional tiny camper trailer. I so rarely have a power outage here that I don't even consider it.
Thanks Eddie - I plan to go "crazy" after I've learned a bit more. My slogan as the ImpatientMaker is, "Learning the hard way, so you don't have to." Ultimately I want to build my own power-wall, etc. Thankfully my girlfriend is totally onboard. (Totes Yeet?)

Not sure how significant this is, but I received the Newpowa solar panel last night and just now put it out in the morning sun. I measured the voltage across the leads as 20+V. So at least it works :)

With the just-announced additional power shutdowns I'm really glad I have these parts! Hopefully getting the whole kit running tonight.

Back