diy solar

diy solar

Do we still need T-Class Fuses?

Accidentally blew a class T fuse. Replaced it with ANL, accidentally blew it also, nothing spectacular. So, I am now using ANLs.

But did you blow it with a worst-case short?

Overload doesn't count. Short through longer higher resistance wire doesn't count.

To test this correctly, you want short fat wires and a fat switch or contactor to create a bonded fault.
And you want to test with margin above voltage and current you plan to "rate" it for.

It's not that necessary if you have a single server rack battery or two power pros. Anything under 30kWh. But once you start having multiple towers or 100+kWh, it's smart to use t class fuse.

Large low resistance batteries in parallel are dangerous. When a supply conductor or anything gets shorted, you can create a large DC arc that's hard to extinguish.

Circuit breakers and fuses can also fail. Or have an AIC rating unable to stop an arc.

Keep in mind that if you only have a few batteries, the resistance of the bms and small wires connecting the batteries is enough to reduce the current for the bms or breaker to trip. It's hard to reach AIC for most dc breakers when used properly.

But if you have five stacks of server rack batteries, the amount of current that can create is scary. The arc would be very difficult to destroy. So it is best to have a t class fuse for each stack. Keep in mind it's not the batteries in the stack that pose a threat, it's all the others connected in parallel feeding into the faulty string or pack.

T class fuse is best we have for high AIC rating OCPD. They can disconnect 20-30k Amps. Sometimes higher depending on manufacturer and model. Most small fuses and breakers AIC are 500-6000A at a specified voltage. Voltage actually matters here too, so make sure OCPD is rated for voltage range you plan to use it in.

But did you blow it with a worst-case short?

Overload doesn't count. Short through longer higher resistance wire doesn't count.

To test this correctly, you want short fat wires and a fat switch or contactor to create a bonded fault.
And you want to test with margin above voltage and current you plan to "rate" it for.
Picture shown is after the accident. Battery pack is 16S 105AH LiFePo4. ANL is 150A rated. AWG #6 cables used. Ends of red and black 3 ft cables (right side of picture) accidentally touched together.
ANL Blown in battery pack.jpg

Affordable alternative to class T

Picture shown is after the accident. Battery pack is 16S 105AH LiFePo4. ANL is 150A rated. AWG #6 cables used. Ends of red and black 3 ft cables (right side of picture) accidentally touched together.
View attachment 197797
Yeah, I HATE any crossover of primary cables on any of my builds.
I am kinda anal about it.

I ordered Victron switches, DC breakers, and 250a T-class fuses for every battery for battery to bus bar.
As well as 300a T class from inverter to bus bar.

No clue if that’s “excess” or not, but figured the peace of mind was cheaper

I ordered Victron switches, DC breakers, and 250a T-class fuses for every battery for battery to bus bar.
As well as 300a T class from inverter to bus bar.

No clue if that’s “excess” or not, but figured the peace of mind was cheaper
Depends upon how many batteries you have. If you have 4 batteries, that is the potential for 1000 amps (4x250) before the Battery Class T blows. So protecting the Inverter line with a Class T can protect against a short after the busbar.

If you just have 2 batteries, then the inverter class T may not be worth it.

Affordable alternative to class T
For $59.99, I received 175A Class T fuse and the holder and I had free shipping.

The fuse holder is very stout and includes a cover. It is UL rated.

While your fuse might be $15, where is the holder and how much is shipping? UL rating for the holder?

I might be tight with a buck but I'm not cheap. :)

Yeah, I HATE any crossover of primary cables on any of my builds.
I am kinda anal about it.
I'm not a fan of stacking on terminals either. I'm anal about busbars.

When I did my junction box for charge controllers, I made an insulated standoff under one busbar so the cables would not lay over the other busbar or cables. Shown here in this part of a video of mine.

It's not my system, but I don't like how close those uncovered/unshielded busbar/terminals are.

That seems like an(other) accident waiting to happen.

Attachments

• orca-image-2129988372.jpeg
    orca-image-2129988372.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 31
I'm not a fan of stacking on terminals either. I'm anal about busbars.

When I did my junction box for charge controllers, I made an insulated standoff under one busbar so the cables would not lay over the other busbar or cables. Shown here in this part of a video of mine.

Great vid ..…and techniques ….I like a man that does things the right way with the right stuff… J.

Reactions: Zwy
It's not my system, but I don't like how close those uncovered/unshielded busbar/terminals are.

That seems like an(other) accident waiting to happen.
Agreed, but I was trying to fit everything in a space not intended for the EVE F105 cell/battery pack. By the way, not shown, the cabinet has a non-metal cover on top.
SPACE.JPG

Back