diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV in full beast mode 24,000 watt test (2 inverters)

The winter production blows. I'm lucky to get 8kw out of my twelve panels. I'm adding another six shortly....but that's peanuts compared to Neo.

Jealousy is a tough pill. But happy for others!
I dont get anywhere near the 27KW rating since i have east/south/west facing... right now with bad sun angles i get 12-14kw during peak...but this design allows an even production throughout day.

Oh man that smokestack is ocd fuel. I would be ripping it down.
That fireplace is the only thing heating the house If electricity isn’t available. It’ll save me in an emergency.
Lower the stack!!

:):)

Thinking outside the box ...
We have a sign, "open damper before lighting."
How about, "Raise chimney before lighting"?
(would have been preferable to design and implement up front, or locate fireplace elsewhere. Too much work to retrofit.)

1704293981222.png

That chimney will make hard shadows when other panels in the string are getting full sun. If bypass diodes can't handle full current, they overheat and melt/break parts of the panel. Some manufacturers warn their panels can't handle it. Maybe some can.

Do you have any module level power electronics which might have their own current bypass mechanism? (I don't know if RSD or optimizer can actually handle that either.)

Thinking outside the box ...
We have a sign, "open damper before lighting."
How about, "Raise chimney before lighting"?
(would have been preferable to design and implement up front, or locate fireplace elsewhere. Too much work to retrofit.)

View attachment 186649

That chimney will make hard shadows when other panels in the string are getting full sun. If bypass diodes can't handle full current, they overheat and melt/break parts of the panel. Some manufacturers warn their panels can't handle it. Maybe some can.

Do you have any module level power electronics which might have their own current bypass mechanism? (I don't know if RSD or optimizer can actually handle that either.)
I have the panels that are hit by the shadow on their own string... the top row and left side are on their own string... this helps isolate the shadow panels... In the summer time this shadow is pretty much gone

That should help a lot, especially if that string is in parallel with unshaded strings - they keep voltage high, and current pushed through shaded panel(s) is low. If on own MPPT, they will carry Imp so long as enough unshaded panels to remain within MPPT operating range.

We've seen photos of melted junction boxes and cracked glass.
One company pitching optimizers said panels used cheap diodes that couldn't handle the current (but they can build an optimizer cheaper than an external bypass diode?) Probably designers (I won't call them engineers) selected a diode based on data sheet that said it handled a certain number of amps. Without looking at junction temperature rise, ambient temperature, heatsinking.

That fireplace is the only thing heating the house If electricity isn’t available. It’ll save me in an emergency.
Yea, this is why my panels aren't on the roof. Have to have the wood stove for those cold Missouri days. This might be a good usage case for some optimizers??? Either that or break those strings down to about 2-4 panels on separate SCCs but that doesn't help with your 18K AIO. I bet you could get allot more power out of that side of the roof. That or put them down on some ground mounts. That chimney is murder on your output.

Yea, this is why my panels aren't on the roof. Have to have the wood stove for those cold Missouri days. This might be a good usage case for some optimizers??? Either that or break those strings down to about 2-4 panels on separate SCCs but that doesn't help with your 18K AIO. I bet you could get allot more power out of that side of the roof. That or put them down on some ground mounts. That chimney is murder on your output.

All these are great points that i considered in length prior to install. Currently we have full sun and the panels with the shadow are averaging 270w per panel (8 panel). The string of 13 next to it is avg 330w. While it does hurt the output overall i considered this and added 4 additional panels to my original plans. I'm willing to take the hit during the winter as summer months have basically minor shadow issues. I do not have any ground mount options on my land due to trees and sloping yard. I also did the math on optimizers and the money / reward didnt seem worth it.

Oh one more note - the west facing slope with no panels is a 10/12 pitch, 2+ story high and has a pipe jack dead center... I did consider panels but it would have been extremally difficult to get anymore than 6 installed.

Man, that’s a good bit of panels. Makes me feel better about mounting 48 though
Awesome stuff man, first I’ve seen two of these in parallel, let alone full tilt

A pellet stove might be another option (except they do use a small amount of electricity to run the fan and auger), but they burn super clean and don't put out any smoke. My parents have one and it just has like a foot long pipe that comes out of the basement wall with a rain shroud on the end, doesn't make any soot or anything. Kind of just looks like a dryer vent that sticks out a bit further than the siding.

Back