diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv modding knock out's???

Gotshocked!

Solar Enthusiast
Rather than using the provided knock outs at the bottom of the wire box, I'd like to enter in though the back of it.
Will drilling holes in the inverter's wire box void the warranty?
#5 under warranty refers to "altering", but that's very vague.

Rather than using the provided knock outs at the bottom of the wire box, I'd like to enter in though the back of it.
Will drilling holes in the inverter's wire box void the warranty?
#5 under warranty refers to "altering", but that's very vague.
They are reasonable.

Send SS or EG4 a message explain what your plans are and show exact location on the wire box.

BTW you have a predrilled hole near the RSD button.

I need 3 holes I think. I say I think because I'm trying to keep up with my electrician neighbor who's doing the install for frees!!! I believe he want's to install the transfer switch on the outside wall of the garage, bring in the pv wires though it then ram it all right into the back of the inverter which will be opposite the transfer switch on the inside of the garage.
I'd add some pic's but my new phone won't cooperate.

I need 3 holes I think. I say I think because I'm trying to keep up with my electrician neighbor who's doing the install for frees!!! I believe he want's to install the transfer switch on the outside wall of the garage, bring in the pv wires though it then ram it all right into the back of the inverter which will be opposite the transfer switch on the inside of the garage.
Have you shown your neighbor the wire box? It sounds like it's made for use with the battery. Wish the site had more photos of all sides.

No. I haven't seen it myself. The wire box I was referring to was the one attached to the inverter. I think he's getting around using a box like that by using the space in the transfer switch box.

Have you shown your neighbor the wire box? It sounds like it's made for use with the battery. Wish the site had more photos of all sides.

There are detailed drawings of the conduit box on page 10 of the PowerPro manual:

Attachments

• EG4-14.3kWh-PowerPro-WallMount-AW-Manual-1.0.4.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 6
I called Sig Solar. Their phone system is in bad shape. I could barely make out what cust service and the tech department was saying, but I got enough to know that the question I posed about knock out's at the back of the inverter's actual wire box needs to be asked to EG4? No phone number for EG4, so I sent an email. Now I've got to wait. I hate waiting.
They do have a phone number, but it's unprofessional, like I'm calling an unknown person's phone. No greeting. Weird.

Couldn’t you use a small wireway and drill into that instead?
I suppose. That seems to be how it's normally done, but that's more stuff, more $ & more work. The way the electrician would like to do it would be cleaner looking as well.
I don't see how this would be at issue, but...
Love your vid's sir.

I suppose. That seems to be how it's normally done, but that's more stuff, more $ & more work. The way the electrician would like to do it would be cleaner looking as well.
Love your vid's sir.
Blocking air flow.

I assumed you wanted to add a single small hole for remote RSD or Ethernet cable.

I called Sig Solar. Their phone system is in bad shape. I could barely make out what cust service and the tech department was saying, but I got enough to know that the question I posed about knock out's at the back of the inverter's actual wire box needs to be asked to EG4? No phone number for EG4, so I sent an email. Now I've got to wait. I hate waiting.
They do have a phone number, but it's unprofessional, like I'm calling an unknown person's phone. No greeting. Weird.
You'd probably want it in writing anyway. A confirmation over the phone doesn't mean a thing a few months or a year later when a warranty claim may be needed. Something in writing is superior.

The ct will share conduit with the pv wire. No remote rsd. No pv's on the roof. Mini-field.
The transfer switch will take the place of a wire way.
The transfer switch will be backed up to the inverter.

You'd probably want it in writing anyway. A confirmation over the phone doesn't mean a thing a few months or a year later when a warranty claim may be needed. Something in writing is superior.
For sure. The plan was to give'em my email & ask for a reply.

Love your vid's sir.

As Zapper mentioned airflow may be the larger issue. That’s where the unit draws the air for cooling. It’s hard to say. But I doubt they’d warranty the unit with this alteration.

Looks like it will not void the warranty. I know, I'm a little surprised too, but it is after all an area that's already full of holes that have yet to be used.

From Markus, Sig Solar...

"No. If for some reason you need to send it back for repair make sure you cover those hole with weather proof plugs."

Now that's customer service!

A reply to my email from EG4 with an interesting twist to my question for those concerned with the rating mentioned below.

"You will not void the warranty if are going to drill holes in the case of the unit but you will lose the NEMA 4X/IP 65 ratings.
If you have any other questions please let me know."

Back