diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv modding knock out's???

A reply to my email from EG4 with an interesting twist to my question for those concerned with the rating mentioned below.

"You will not void the warranty if are going to drill holes in the case of the unit but you will lose the NEMA 4X/IP 65 ratings.
If you have any other questions please let me know."

This makes sense. Since the rating is based on the knockouts currently in the unit.

Sorry, this sounds really dumb to me. The unit has a wide gap between the back of wiring box on the unit and whatever wall it's mounted on. There is a row of fans that need the air space in the fat part of the box above the cable box. Just get a (couple of three/four) 2" 90 elbow(s) and poke the pipe(s) thru the wall as needed. Poking a hole in the back of the box accomplishes nothing useful you would have to pipe across the gap anyway.

B-tch is heavy too. Mount it first where you want it, then decide if you think that is a smart idea. It needs to breathe behind the box, the closer the piping is to the fans the more obstruction to air.

A reply to my email from EG4 with an interesting twist to my question for those concerned with the rating mentioned below.

"You will not void the warranty if are going to drill holes in the case of the unit but you will lose the NEMA 4X/IP 65 ratings.
If you have any other questions please let me know."

In my opinion, that is a reasonable position for them to take. They can't be sure you'll be doing the new knockouts correctly.

One thing I'd add: If you intend to use it in an area where the outdoor rating matters, losing that rating *will* likely void your warranty. So, at this point I'd say you have 2 real options:

- If using it indoors, create knockouts however you want.
- if outdoors, bring those conduits into a gutter that you can drill however you want, and then stub up from the gutter into your unmodified inverter.

Honestly though, if it were me.. I'd probably do the gutter either way. It's cheaper to replace, than the having to worry about warranty on a $5500 device because I wanted to save some money and effort by bypassing the gutter.

It's installed in the garage. We got it up today. On the 18kpv thread, I'm going to ask if all knock outs must be knocked out and plugs put in their place. Perhaps that's written somewhere and I missed it? If I only knock out those that will be used, and I leave the rest, then this cable box is not sealed as one can see daylight around each knock out.
I was planning on installing it outside but it cannot take the elements. The lcd screen will get beat by the sun and one needs to keep rain and snow off it. This inverter is no good for exterior installs imo.

IMG_20231018_212049111.jpg

Shit-tons of room under the fans. I don't think there is any restriction.
IMG_20231018_212114296.jpg

IMG_20231018_212148961.jpg

Last edited:
I did that to mine, that way I could get the battery rack right below the inverter and still maintain proper clearance above the unit. Also not have the rack sitting out a foot in front of the inverter.
There is still plenty of clearance for air movement. The cable troff doesn't contact the inverter, there is about an inch of space between. So air can go through there in addition to the sides.
20230620_224321.jpg
20230806_232411.jpg

Back