diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

3 phase 208 right
I'm assuming that's correct. There is a cabinet 200 yards from my home, which reads 480 volts, this feeds into a transformer next to my home, which I'm assuming steps the voltage down to 120/208 three phase. I can send photos, if you like.
I couldn't test the voltages as my power has been out for the past 10 days. Hopefully it'll be up and running by tomorrow night.

I'm assuming that's correct. There is a cabinet 200 yards from my home, which reads 480 volts, this feeds into a transformer next to my home, which I'm assuming steps the voltage down to 120/208 three phase. I can send photos, if you like.
I couldn't test the voltages as my power has been out for the past 10 days. Hopefully it'll be up and running by tomorrow night.
Yes please do. I would also recommend you get another inverter so you can balance all 3 legs otherwise 1 leg will not be doubled up like the other 2. If you only use the 2 you ordered I would put all the lights on that one leg that’s not able to be doubled like the rest.

I know it's odd, but the previous owner was planning on building a huge dorm nearby, so they installed a 1000 Amp cabinet 200 yards from my house and ran three-phase into the home as well.
By the way, where are you located? I'm currently working with a Tim's electric in AZ. It would be nice if you're him. :LOL:
Nice
I almost added a 3-phase service to my property.
3-phase equipment is so much cheaper and more efficient.
I'm in Kentucky.
I'm aware of that company, from when I was naming mine. It came up in the name search.

I will definitely buy a 3rd inverter, if I can get them to work together.
How would you recommend I configure the inverters with 2x EG4-LifePower4 battery cabinets (30.72 kWh each)?
That is, do they all work as one unit, which then sees a 61.44 kWh battery backup source?

I will definitely buy a 3rd inverter, if I can get them to work together.
How would you recommend I configure the inverters with 2x EG4-LifePower4 battery cabinets (30.72 kWh each)?
That is, do they all work as one unit, which then sees a 61.44 kWh battery backup source?
They will all work together. You can even set the inverters up to have independent battery racks. 1 for each inverter that works really good as well

These are photos of the plates inside the doors of the big 1200 Amp cabinet that's feeding the transformer near my home:

20230901_154156.jpg

20230901_154108.jpg

20230901_154117.jpg

As you can see, my power company pulled the meter because rats chewed on the wires and caused arcing inside the cabinet.
I need to replace the meter socket before they'll turn it back on. Mess.

They will all work together. You can even set the inverters up to have independent battery racks. 1 for each inverter that works really good as well

Do I need another battery rack for the third inverter or will that draw battery power from the other two?
I don't have the money for another battery cabinet right now.

Do I need another battery rack for the third inverter or will that draw battery power from the other two?
I don't have the money for another battery cabinet right now.
You can set them all up with the 2 battery racks sharing. Or you can do independent racks for each inverter that’s totally up to you

Why not get a transformer to convert it to 120v/240v

I believe I have that, see photos below...
This is the transformer next to my house.
The left side is incoming from the 480V service cabinet (above).
Transformer in the middle.
The outputs from the transformer are on the right side (will send photos in my next post).
One of the outputs goes into the home, the other is not being used.

20230907_145835.jpg

20230907_145617.jpg

20230907_145708.jpg

I would assume that the house is wired as 3-phase.
It might be a bit of work to change it.

It is. Here's a photo of the plate from my home's internal panel.

20230907_153912.jpg

Also, two of my HVAC condenser units are 3-phase 15 amp. Although, I'm going to change them out eventually because they're 20 years old.

20230907_153854.jpg

Back