diy solar

diy solar

EG4 battery charger 48v 18 amp. Can this be powered by a water turbine

Brettw

Is there a way to build a water turbine to power this battery charger? The AC input is AC90-240V + 20% (see attachment)

What components would I need to get the input voltage within this range?

Would I need a dump load or cutoff switch if I went over or under the voltage?

Any other info is much appreciated.

My place has a seasonal creek that flows pretty decent in the winter time, which happens to be when the sunshine is lacking for PV input, so my thought would be to try and harness this power in my attempt to be totally off grid (hopefully no generator if this worked).
I understand how to setup for a pelton wheel with a low flow/ high pressure scenario. I need help with components to stay within the chargers range.

If this had been discussed please point me to the thread. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20231213_183556.jpg
    20231213_183556.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
I can tell you when connected to an insufficient gas generator that charger cycles on and off repeatedly.

I don't think you would easily get a satisfactory low output response.

I would use a midnite charge controller instead.

I can tell you when connected to an insufficient gas generator that charger cycles on and off repeatedly.

I don't think you would easily get a satisfactory low output response.

I would use a midnite charge controller instead.
Thanks

Agree with hwy17.
The problem is that the 90v to 240v input will draw a lot more current at 90v than at 240v to supply the same output power.
Both the generator and the power supply start to fight each other and it can all become very confused and unstable.
I understand how to setup for a pelton wheel with a low flow/ high pressure scenario. I need help with components to stay within the chargers range.
You need to get some information from the supplier about the relationships between nozzle size (flow) wheel diameter, and output voltage at your operating water pressure.
Then size the turbine to suit your proposed system voltage. If you get it right, there is no real need for any type of controller, except to ensure the battery never becomes overcharged.

Usually its all getting pretty close when the free running rpm and output voltage is about double what it is when connected to the battery .
That suggests about near optimum electrical loading and power matching of the turbine and generator to the load.

If the speed hardly drops when loaded, the rpm and unloaded voltage are too low. You need more rpm, maybe a smaller diameter wheel ?

If the rpm gets really pulled down hard when connected to the load, the rpm and unloaded voltage are too high. That needs more torque and less rpm, perhaps fitting a larger diameter wheel or more nozzle flow ?

You can fiddle around with all this to some extent by changing wheel diameter and nozzle size (and number of nozzles). But the turbine manufacturer should be able to supply all the necessary data to get pretty close first try.

Either under loading or overloading the machine reduces power output. With a bit of trial and error it should be possible to get it running sweetly where the rpm and generator voltage drops by half when the load is switched in, going from the no load to loaded condition.

Back